HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:09 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I predict this thread will still be lingering about, 5 years from now, after Related builds apartments on this site, with people claiming "It can still happen, folks, you just wait..."
Chicago's New WTC.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 10:18 PM

I love how Steely Dan, despite the unfortunate news, is displaying a nice sense of humor

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 10:36 PM

I propose that someone starts a thread with the proposed buildings Related released as a "preliminary" proposal subject to change. Then any valid news which will come sooner than later can be discussed and those (including me) who don't want to partake in the delusion that is the spire can happily avoid doing so.

Leave this open for whomever wants to discuss the Spire for the next 10 years. But again, the ones that want valid updates need a place to go......

Let's just be done with the spire.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 10:41 PM
Ascension

You know, after driving up and down Lakeshore Drive numerous times and imagining what the Spire would look like, I'm kinda glad that it's dead. I really think that location warrants a very tall skyscraper yes but something tall and imposing like Aon Center. Or revive the design of the cancelled Waldorf-Astoria. That was a far superior design than the Spire.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:56 AM

I don't think I've seen a project status listed as being any more dead than this

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:29 AM

Related doesn't have control of the site, this should be under the proposed section! If they do get control, Related hasn't said what they're doing with the site. Hello!

The naysayers still delusional that it's not viable plan. Now its clear people aren't being fair here!

Last edited by Onn; Nov 4, 2014 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:43 AM

Thank you moderator for removing this dead dead dead dead project from the mainstream proposals forum.

It is now where it should be, in the Hades of SSP, where the walking dead roam and dream.

Goodbye Onn, goodbye Kelleher, goodbye Shelbourne, goodby Calatrava, goodbye Atlas.

Goodbye Spire.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:45 AM
MPLSXCHI

I can't believe that you think it's still alive, your delusional. Sorry Onn you have to let it go.

Should there be a Related tower thread?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:47 AM

I can't say I didn't try to warn people that the project should go forward...If Related gets the site, good luck!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:50 AM
MPLSXCHI

What do you mean warn? we all know related has done plenty of shitty work. I

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:48 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I can't say I didn't try to warn people that the project should go forward...When Related gets the site, good luck!
fixed

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:31 AM

Quote:
I can't say I didn't try to warn people that the project should go forward...

"Warn"? . . . what exactly are you implying will happen in spite of your fearful warning to us? That's a bizarre word choice.

What anyone on SSP has had to say, warn about, or heed has had just about, um, zero bearing on the life and merciful death of the Kelleher Spire proposal or what eventually gets built on the site.

Even after 7 years, some folks are still overly wound up in this thing. Time to move on.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Related doesn't have control of the site, this should be under the proposed section! If they do get control, Related hasn't said what they're doing with the site. Hello!

The naysayers still delusional that it's not viable plan. Now its clear people aren't being fair here!
Technically he is right. This could still get crazy if Kellher wants to be a dick. He's probably in personal bankruptcy anyhow so I'm not sure more penalties mean shit to him. Regardless of where this thread is I'm going to continue to check it for additional insane skyscraper litigation drama. There's still some entertainment value left here, Lol. And the story is beginning again as we await, with some dread, the unveiling of whatever Related has in mind. Hopefully they will also go bankrupt, can we get some Block 37 curse action on this site? Maybe Related will lose all their money and never come back to Chicago again.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
"Warn"? . . . what exactly are you implying will happen in spite of your fearful warning to us? That's a bizarre word choice.

What anyone on SSP has had to say, warn about, or heed has had just about, um, zero bearing on the life and merciful death of the Kelleher Spire proposal or what eventually gets built on the site.

Even after 7 years, some folks are still overly wound up in this thing. Time to move on.
All someone has to do is bail out the project. Chicago's real estate market will turn around, financing will be found, the Spire will built in some form. It seems like a crazy project to just abandon, your talking Chicago's future. And it seems a lot of people here could care less. Truly disappointing people have to beat up on such a great project.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
All someone has to do is bail out the project. Chicago's real estate market will turn around, financing will be found, the Spire will built in some form. It seems like a crazy project to just abandon, your talking Chicago's future. And it seems a lot of people here could care less. Truly disappointing people have to beat up on such a great project.
No one will invest in a project who's debt was already due. Maybe sombody else with the same intention will buy the site (if related decided to sell it) and build the spire. But look at it Onn, it's unlikely. I want to think that the spire will be built, but I don't see it happening realistically anymore. There is like a 2% chance that it will be built, a 5% chance related builds a nice building there, and a 93% chance related plops a value enginered POS on the site...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:00 PM
you know where I'll be

500 NLSD South

Truth be told, I'd take this over the Stern Turd they are planning to put up just west of the original. In a heartbeat. (although of course I'm hoping for something a lot better.....it's just proof that it's extremely possible to get much, much worse than a 500' Related glass shitbox).....

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:05 PM

Well they ran out of time to complete the financing compontent, so Related get's the site.

Quote:
It's official: The Chicago Spire is dead

Chicago Real Estate Daily
04 October 2014
David Lee Mathews

Chicago developer Related Midwest LLC has taken control of the Chicago Spire development site, putting an end to a big bubble-era dream that stalled once the housing crisis hit.

Chicago bankruptcy lawyer Joseph D. Frank, who represents Spire developer Garrett Kelleher, confirmed today that his client handed over the property at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive to its biggest creditor after failing to make a required payment late last month.

Under the approved bankruptcy plan, Mr. Kelleher's venture had until Oct. 31 to pay Related more than $109 million.
source: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-spire-is-dead

Disappointing to say the least, but I'm still optimistic someone more capable will pick up the project. This might still have legs. It would be wroth the time.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ Onn, posting 3rd party articles in their entirety is not allowed on this forum.

please read the following quote from the Crain's article over and over and over until it finally sinks in. this chicago spire business is done. move on.

Quote:
A Related spokeswoman did not immediately have a comment. The Chicago developer has said it would not build the Spire if it won control of the site, killing hopes that the twisting 150-story, 1,194-unit condominium tower near Lake Michigan will ever be built.
source: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-spire-is-dead

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Onn, please read the following quote from the Crain's article over and over and over until it finally sinks in. this chicago spire business is done. move on.
No I would very disagree with that, its going to continue until something's built on the site.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 8:26 PM

Quote:
No I would very disagree with that, its going to continue until something's built on the site.
Onn, you are amazing.

I have a feeling you will create multiple avatars so that you can keep alive a fake dialogue about the ongoing potential for the Spire.

I may read it purely for entertainment.

But truthfully it would be healthier for you to find a new, realistic obsession.

This is project is fossilized roadkill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects