HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 10:48 PM

I spoke to an elderly person, (she still works and runs a business), who left our building for 300 and she and her husband are very happy. Their new place is very quiet and they have a large patio. There is no traffic noise and the dog park is not a problem. Parking there is expensive (market rates).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:07 AM

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:10 AM

Still don't like the way the new signs turned out. Hard to read lol. Should have done them in white.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:50 PM

Next Page

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:41 PM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:17 AM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:40 AM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:31 PM

from twitter

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Still don't like the way the new signs turned out. Hard to read lol. Should have done them in white.
Not sure if I'm losing my mind but I swear the BellMTS sign on the southeast entrance of the building is white some days and blue other days. Is this just me?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Not sure if I'm losing my mind but I swear the BellMTS sign on the southeast entrance of the building is white some days and blue other days. Is this just me?
They're blue by day and light up to white at night. It looks good at night but blue signage is hard to see by daylight... probably should've just made them all white all the time, even though I know that isn't the "corporate colour".

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:32 PM

It changes from day to night. Blue during day, white at night. Or maybe when the lights are on it's white. Sorcery.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
They're blue by day and light up to white at night. It looks good at night but blue signage is hard to see by daylight... probably should've just made them all white all the time, even though I know that isn't the "corporate colour".
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It changes from day to night. Blue during day, white at night. Or maybe when the lights are on it's white. Sorcery.
Yes, the signs are blue but it lights up white.

They should have done it the opposite, however. The blue is extremely hard to see during the day. At night, for the signs that are mounted in front of glass (above every entrance), it's extremely hard to see the white as the building inside is lit up in white. They clearly did not consult sign/lighting experts, and just made a decision.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:28 PM
There is always a way

Does anyone know a: when the digging should start for Sutton, and b: when the first building (aside from TDS) is supposed to be ready?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:56 AM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Does anyone know a: when the digging should start for Sutton, and b: when the first building (aside from TDS) is supposed to be ready?
I think by the end of the summer on both accounts, was at least the aim

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 7:54 PM

Liquor store outlet in True North Square scaled back from 50,000 square feet to 4,000
Massive 'flagship' liquor outlet was originally announced by former NDP government; under review since 2016
CBC News · Posted: Jun 08, 2018 1:15 PM

Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries will occupy a much smaller space in the new True North Square than originally planned under the previous NDP government.

Progressive Conservative Crown Services Minister Cliff Cullen announced the provincial liquor retailer will open a 4,000-square-foot store in True North Square, a public plaza and series of mixed-used towers currently under construction in downtown Winnipeg.

The original plan, announced by the then NDP government in February 2016, called for a 50,000-square-foot space, billed as a flagship retail outlet for the Crown corporation.

The future of the project has been in doubt ever since Brian Pallister's Progressive Conservative government came into office in April 2016 and replaced the board of Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries.

The decision to proceed with the outlet came with no business case or research, MLL chair Polly Craik said in November 2016, and the plan was under review.

In March of last year, True North Development president Jim Ludlow said the planned development was "not a 50,000-square-foot liquor store" but a high-end concept that would incorporate restaurants and food stalls, as well as an alcoholic beverage retailer.

The plan was for "a 50,000-square-foot food hall with a liquor-store component in it, which is a very different issue," Ludlow said at the time.

In a news release announcing the scaled-down plan on Friday, the province said it had decided it didn't need that much space and that the activities planned for the site went beyond the scope of Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries' mandate.

The province also said Liquor & Lotteries will also make a one-time cash payment to True North as part of the revised agreement.

The new store will replace the current downtown outlet in Cityplace.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...uare-1.4698268

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 7:59 PM

I'm all for fiscal responsibility but I'm also for booze, so that makes me sad. Hopefully some of the funding for TNS accounted for yanking such a huge deal away. Pretty harsh.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 10:32 PM

I still have no idea how a 50,000 square foot liquor store would have been possible... That would have required the entire 1st and 2nd, plus most of the 3rd, floors of Tower 1

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 10:42 PM

It was essentially going to be a Forks Market-style licensed food hall/court that also had an off-sale (liquor mart). While I'm sad that this concept isn't happening, I have to say I agree that the government has no business running something like that. Hopefully TN just does it on their own, no reason why they couldn't or shouldn't.

That being said, how large is the current space in cityplace? If the new one is planned at 4,000 – does it even make sense for them to move, considering cityplace is owned by the government already...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I'm all for fiscal responsibility but I'm also for booze, so that makes me sad. Hopefully some of the funding for TNS accounted for yanking such a huge deal away. Pretty harsh.

Don’t worry we have to pay a penalty of $2million to them for the cancelation

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan