HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 6:21 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

when I was at the Alcove on New Years day, the one server was really nice and 'normal' looking, and the place was empty, so I think I need to go back on a busier night.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:05 PM
Great White Norf

Anyone been to Black Bull Pub in the NE? It's just off 64 Ave near Deerfoot. I'm thinking about heading there for cheap wings tonight. reviews are mixed on hotwings.ca
is it total sketch?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:15 PM
not a NIMBY

How cheap are the wings? Bonasera on Ed Trail has 10 cent wings Wednesdays and Saturdays and great pizza every day.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Anyone been to Black Bull Pub in the NE? It's just off 64 Ave near Deerfoot. I'm thinking about heading there for cheap wings tonight. reviews are mixed on hotwings.ca
is it total sketch?
I was there once. It didn't strike me as being sketchy at all. Just your typical neighbourhood pub.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:48 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
is it total sketch?
I've only been there for wings once since the reno (about 2 weeks ago) and they were decent flavourings, but certainly came from the smaller chickens in the flock.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:00 AM
Great White Norf

thanks for the info, guys!

small wings are better than Mutant wings

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:47 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
How cheap are the wings? Bonasera on Ed Trail has 10 cent wings Wednesdays and Saturdays and great pizza every day.
good to know, that's walking distance for me

Black Bull pub has 9 cent wings on Thursdays, 15 cent on Wednesdays. wings are on the small side, but are tasty enough and for the price one really can't complain. pints of Canadian (yes I know far from a good beer) are only $3.75 on Thursdays as well. price of beer made me think I was back in Buffalo for a second

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 11:37 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
good to know, that's walking distance for me

Black Bull pub has 9 cent wings on Thursdays, 15 cent on Wednesdays. wings are on the small side, but are tasty enough and for the price one really can't complain. pints of Canadian (yes I know far from a good beer) are only $3.75 on Thursdays as well. price of beer made me think I was back in Buffalo for a second
9 cents, good deal!
Bonasera is kind of divey in a friendly didn't re-decorate for the last 2 booms kind of place, but I haven't been for a year, so I can only assume it is still the same as always.
I like salt and pepper wings the best.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 12:30 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
The Black Lung, er, the Bull, is not that bad - as indicated the wings aren't large but at least you know they came from a chicken! Used to spend a lot of time there as it's close to work, and I really wouldn't consider it a dive, though pre-smoke free it was very "dark" inside.

Don't go there much any more as we have a new work hangout that deserve's mention in this thread - Gametime in the Symmons Mall on Centre st south of 64th. While not a true dive bar, if Fubar III is looking for a filming venue, most of the patrons are already in costume, mullets and all!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 8:39 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
9 cents, good deal!
Bonasera is kind of divey in a friendly didn't re-decorate for the last 2 booms kind of place, but I haven't been for a year, so I can only assume it is still the same as always.
I like salt and pepper wings the best.
I never knew what they were until coming to Calgary, but just like banh mi I've developed a serious appreciation for them

In Buffalo, it's Hot, Medium, Mild (for the extremely weak) or BBQ. there are plenty of other options but only the uneducated wing enthusiasts order them

Last edited by Wigs; Mar 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 6:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Salt and pepper wings are where it's at. You can actually enjoy eating instead of merely participating in some barbaric pissing contest over whose skin is the reddest and sweating the most.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 7:11 PM
Traditional Ale User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Salt and pepper wings are where it's at. You can actually enjoy eating instead of merely participating in some barbaric pissing contest over whose skin is the reddest and sweating the most.
salt & pepper wings = boring. Hot's where its at when it comes to wings - doesn't have to be a pissing match, if you like it hot thats just the way you want it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 11:13 PM
Great White Norf

oh and for the record, chicken wings come with celery (sometimes carrots as well) and bleu cheese NOT ranch. Calgary you're on notice!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation