HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
There's potential on Broadway with that wide boulevard for a Las Ramblas, Winnipeg Edition. Throw in some semi permanent food truck locations on a power grid (get rid of the loud generators), and use that subway lot as a mini Mercado de La Boqueria market space. Widen the boulevard by narrowing the existing sidewalks and make the boulevard the main daytime pedestrian path, closing the whole road at night like Las Ramblas. Pop up a couple stage spots and you've got a popular night gathering spot.
That would be very cool. Broadway is such an elegant street.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:10 PM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Beautiful!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:19 PM

390 Assiniboine

Was downtown today on Assiniboine and was by 390 Assiniboine stopped and this is insignicant to report but I have 4 floors podium and 18 glass for 22total not 24 ! No big deal but 22 floors total I think . I think we need 2 or 3 more of these on Broadway or Assiniboine secondly .

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:25 PM
BANNED

I want to see examples of this in the Exchange.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:30 PM

390 Assiniboine

Urban Recluse , great idea but I think Exchange has height restriction doesn't it ?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:34 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Urban Recluse , great idea but I think Exchange has height restriction doesn't it ?
Really, I find it a ridiculous idea. The Exchange district has what is known as character, heritage.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:41 PM
BANNED

Oh how shocking. Similar districts all over the world incorporate new construction. It is not a f*ckin museum. If you want it to become a real neighborhood, it needs to evolove.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:48 PM

Would rather see something like it in the east exchange rather than the west exchange, but on the condition that they have a podium in similar scale to the surrounding buildings and that the podium is either built with similar materials (brick, stone, etc) or is something outstanding and different (some fancy glass pattern mfor example)

Also I like 390/dCondo way more when I see it from an angle that doesn't show the grey wall that runs straight up the middle of the tower.. kinda ruins it for me

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 10:27 PM

I believe only East Exchange has height restrictions, along Waterfront. People often forget Albert is right in the shadow of 201 Portage (and whatever eventually happens beside The Pal) - it really wouldn’t be that out of place to have more towers in the West Exchange.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 10:54 PM

A high rise in the west exchange would ruin the New York movie set look. I remember that issue coming up a few times over different proposals.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I believe only East Exchange has height restrictions, along Waterfront. People often forget Albert is right in the shadow of 201 Portage (and whatever eventually happens beside The Pal) - it really wouldn’t be that out of place to have more towers in the West Exchange.
The exchange is a national historic site and there are integrity restrictions associated with being a national historic site. 201 portage is not part of the Exchange. The city is unlikely to approve a 25 storey high rise in the middle of a bunch of heritage buildings. Also, there are many non-heritage locations in the city for high rises. Many.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:31 AM

id much prefer to see infill in the likes of the following in the exchange

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 4:11 AM

I didn't say I wanted one, just that it's not far fetched. And yeah I love the above pictures.

We're going to have to "ruin" the "movie set" look if we want to fill in the surface lots. I'd much rather have modern buildings than some of the faux-heritage ones we've seen around town which would look just as bad.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 7:23 AM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
id much prefer to see infill in the likes of the following in the exchange

I'd much prefer to see those who buy glass-wall garbage like that slapped and sterilized for the good of the species.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 9:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what about whats going up on ross?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:19 PM
BANNED

Great examples of what the Exchange needs to transform it into a vibrant neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
We're going to have to "ruin" the "movie set" look if we want to fill in the surface lots. I'd much rather have modern buildings than some of the faux-heritage ones we've seen around town which would look just as bad.
Agreed. I am not keen on the idea of trying to keep every last bit of the Exchange District frozen in time. By all means protect the existing building stock but it shouldn't prevent new buildings from being built, and that includes ones with contemporary designs.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Agreed. I am not keen on the idea of trying to keep every last bit of the Exchange District frozen in time. By all means protect the existing building stock but it shouldn't prevent new buildings from being built, and that includes ones with contemporary designs.
Exactly. Look how great both RRC buildings look, combining old and new. And neither of them would work for 1892 NYC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan