HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:25 PM

Maybe Jet Blue to Boston?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:28 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinthe21stC View Post
Maybe Jet Blue to Boston?
Is jetblue in a growth phase?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Is jetblue in a growth phase?
Not currently, but the only two real options are jetblue and Spirit. Unless its some small regional airline.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 8:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

Please be more direct flights to Boston. Please be more direct flights to Boston. Please...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 10:36 PM

I'm thinking JetBlue since they are adding nonstop #55 to the list. Either that or maybe an international carrier to Europe or perhaps Central/South America. I wouldn't think Spirit would expand with just one announced route, but who knows.

This is my guess in the following order.
1. JetBlue - Boston
2. British Airways - London
3. Copa - Panama
3. Spirit - ?

wait and see 9:00AM tomorrow. LOL

what do you guys think?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking JetBlue since they are adding nonstop #55 to the list. Either that or maybe an international carrier to Europe or perhaps Central/South America. I wouldn't think Spirit would expand with just one announced route, but who knows.

This is my guess in the following order.
1. JetBlue - Boston
2. British Airways - London
3. Copa - Panama
3. Spirit - ?

wait and see 9:00AM tomorrow. LOL

what do you guys think?
True Spirit does tend to add a few destinations at once to see what sticks. Where did you see the airport state it was a new destination? I've been waiting for JetBlue for going on 10 years, as much as I want it to be them I have my doubts. Copa is one I forgot about. I know awhile back the Airport was putting some effort into Panama City flights. If it's a new destination for the airport it can be several airlines. The way I read it, was just new Air Carrier coming to SAT though. So my guess is Spirit or Sun Country. Even though I really want a new International carrier like Copa.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 2:39 PM
robert die katze

It's Sun Country, with flights to Minneapolis and Portland, per the announcement on their page: https://www.suncountry.com/booking/search.html

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 3:47 PM

New Year, New Service: Sun Country Arrives at San Antonio International Airport

Credit:
City of San Antonio Aviation Dept.
Rich Stinson

SAN ANTONIO (Jan. 8, 2019) – “We just concluded another unprecedented, record breaking year in 2018, and this is a great way to get the 2019 New Year started,” said Russ Handy, Aviation Director for the City of San Antonio. “We cannot be happier to welcome Sun Country Airlines as SAT’s newest air carrier, along with services to Minneapolis / St. Paul and Portland, Oregon.”

Sun Country Airlines announced today the addition of San Antonio International Airport (SAT) to its growing network. New seasonal nonstop service will be offered from San Antonio to Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) and Portland (PDX) with fares as low as $89 one-way. Prior to this new announcement, Portland was one of the top-5 most unserved markets for San Antonio. There will also be connection opportunities through Minneapolis/St. Paul to Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Anchorage.

“We’re excited to provide new low cost air service to San Antonio residents and to bring more visitors to the Alamo City,” said Chief Commercial Officer Ted Botimer. “Our focus on low fares and great customer service will be a great fit in this market, and we look forward to our continued partnership with the San Antonio Aviation Department.”

The Sun Country addition to SAT is part of a larger network expansion announced today by Sun Country Airlines – their largest addition of routes in the company’s history as a scheduled service airline – which includes 19 new routes and seven new airports. The airline has been experiencing record growth over the past year. Sun Country first added new routes beyond its home base of Minneapolis/St. Paul in June 2018, bringing on service from Dallas-Fort Worth, Madison, Portland and St. Louis, which brought the network at the time from 53 to 64 nonstop routes. Nashville was added in August 2018, and after today’s announcement, the airline will operate a total of 86 routes across 53 airports, which marks a nearly 40 percent growth in routes since June 2018. Sun Country operated as a charter airline until 1999, at which time it launched scheduled service with an initial 22 routes offered in total.

The new seasonal service from San Antonio International Airport (SAT) will include:

 Nonstop service to Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
• Service starts May 23, 2019
• Operates 4x/week with roundtrips on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday
• One-way fares as low as $89

 Nonstop service to Portland (PDX)
• Service starts June 5, 2019
• Operates 4x/week with roundtrips on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday
• One-way fares as low as $89

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:03 PM

Great news! Portland is definitely a great addition and fills in a gap in service to the Northwestern US. And of course, more service to Minneapolis is always a plus.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:03 PM

The Portland add was quite surprising especially from Sun Country. I always pictured Alaska or Southwest picking it up if anyone did. From what I read the flight seems seasonal for now. Hopefully the numbers are good and its goes year round.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
The Portland add was quite surprising especially from Sun Country. I always pictured Alaska or Southwest picking it up if anyone did. From what I read the flight seems seasonal for now. Hopefully the numbers are good and its goes year round.
From what I’ve read. Portland is a top underserved market. So let’s hope that translates to year round. Already a lot of momentum heading into this year for SAT!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:52 PM

Pdx

You guys are right, PDX was a coveted flight and over 160 people a day travel from SAT to Portland. I could see Southwest or Alaska adding a flight in the near future to remain competitive in this market.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
Southwest doesn't seem to be paying much attention to SA these days unless I'm missing reports of new service. Looking at their route map, they continue to miss out on bulking up the market to other carriers that come in and gobble up lucrative routes.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:43 AM

I will admit I had slightly higher hopes but any new service to unserved cities is a win. PDX is a great addition and hopefully the demand grows. My first guess to PDX was Alaska since their recent expansion here and the connections. As for MSP, let's see if Delta chooses to compete.

Cheers to a new destination

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:48 PM

Thumbs up SAT exceeds 10M passengers!

SAT hits another milestone and exceeds 10M passengers for 2018! An 11% increase over the year before. Things are already off to another hot start for this year too.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 3:31 PM

San Antonio Airport Sets Record in 2018

Quote:
San Antonio International Airport hit a new high point in 2018 as more than 10 million passengers flew into or out of the Alamo City's two terminals last year.

That number culminates 30 consecutive months of record passenger activity at SAT.

San Antonio International has added 35 new flights since 2015, including service to 19 additional destinations. In the last year, multiple airlines committed to launching or expanding service to and from San Antonio International.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:25 PM
Member since 2001

^^^^^^

That's awesome news!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:08 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
SAT hits another milestone and exceeds 10M passengers for 2018! An 11% increase over the year before. Things are already off to another hot start for this year too.
I told you guys I was the 10 millionth passenger in December.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 6:34 PM

Really happy to see SAT hit 10 million. The jump from 2017 pax numbers is outstanding. On a sad note looks like we lost Air Canada service. Toronto route ends in October.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 8:43 PM

Air Canada

It's great news adding Portland and a new airline (Sun Country)...it's also great news topping out last year at over 10 million...bad news about Air Canada. Maybe if we fly Air Canada before they schedule their last flight in October they'll change their mind. There is a brite spot about A/C...A buddy of mine said Air Canada added and pulled out of Austin three times before they finally were successful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio