HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:43 PM
Bears of antiquity

I keep telling my grandma to hold on to her house since she's a quarter mile from all this (I see her house in several images above).

Anyway, 9 stories seems a bit too tall unless there's going to be a progression or taller. It's a little too out of step from the 6 story standard this area looks to have.

Although I must say, 9 stories is what led to the taller stuff in the Pearl in Portland!

Quote:
my favorite neighborhoods in san fransisco, seattle, and even nyc have very few 400 footers and quite a few 4-8 story buildings right on the sidewalk.
Pioneer square, lower queen anne and Cap Hill? P^2 isn't changing much, but LQA and Cap Hill are upzoning every lot to 6 stories to give it an even stronger push in the direction of what you like "and more".

The retail core and denny triangle are going from the 4-8 story building feel to 400 footers pretty rapidly.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:17 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Anyway, 9 stories seems a bit too tall unless there's going to be a progression or taller. It's a little too out of step from the 6 story standard this area looks to have.

Pioneer square, lower queen anne and Cap Hill? P^2 isn't changing much, but LQA and Cap Hill are upzoning every lot to 6 stories to give it an even stronger push in the direction of what you like "and more".

The retail core and denny triangle are going from the 4-8 story building feel to 400 footers pretty rapidly.
9 stories is perfect. tall enough to begin the vertical pull, but short enough to fit in with the surrounding 4-6 story buildings. i understand the idea that it may look odd on an island there, but i think they'll sort that out and make sure that there is a natural progression to that height.

you nailed the faves of seattle. i love belltown and can see it in san antonio (kind of the transition zone between high-rises and more mid-rise and traditional hoods...)

anyway, my greatest curiousity is now with the look and positioning of the 9-story building with 281 right there....

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:26 PM
Bears of antiquity

Coincidentally, I'm in a 9-story building in Belltown that is surrounded by 20-story condo towers. The trees really make the tall buildings and shorter 4-8 story buildings fit together perfectly. Monorail helps a lot, too.

Of course, the building (4th & Vine) is kinda iffy looking... but it's a Selig property so it's this awesome late-70s/mid-80s "black glass block".

I think if they put trees back into that part of Broadway, it'll help things immensely. A lot of trees were cut down in the area when repaving jobs got a free pass to do whatever they wanted.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:44 PM
Closed account

I've always thought that vacant piece of land was the strangest thing...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 7:20 PM

I'm anxious to see renderings for this 9-story. Currently there's nothing in this area to draw the eye of folks on NB 281 other than the Brackenridge golf course.

Doesn't it kinda seem so far like a lot of things are happening just outside the boundaries of River North? I guess the Broadway Lofts are technically inside those boundaries, but they're still couple of blocks away from the river, and of course the Pearl is a district unto itself. Not that I'm complaining, as all of these "edge" developments like the 1800 will make RN look that much better when it starts getting built out, with the results sending a shock wave all the way up the Broadway corridor

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 7:35 PM
Closed account

Lower Broadway is gonna be off the hook. There are already two newly built office developments (Dunno what they're called, but they're near Avenue B and Broadway sort of). In the immediate future there are three projects (1800, this 9 story condo building and the pioneer offices moving into the vacant butter krust building). And then of course there is the pearl itself, which spills out onto Broadway a little.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:00 PM

Embarcadero (probably butchered the spelling) isn't off of Broadway, is it?

The thing I'm most excited for is the arts district portion of RN. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the developments around SAMA and the Bexar Cty Performing Arts Center/Muni Auditorium could help change spark a change in SA's entire character.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:07 PM
Closed account

embarcadero is at St Mary's and 9th. Not too far off Broadway.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:08 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Embarcadero (probably butchered the spelling) isn't off of Broadway, is it?

The thing I'm most excited for is the arts district portion of RN. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the developments around SAMA and the Bexar Cty Performing Arts Center/Muni Auditorium could help change spark a change in SA's entire character.
KSAL is right...
From MySA...
Embarcadero, Spanish for "pier," will be a 24-unit condominium building at 101 Ninth St. at the intersection of North St. Mary's Street.

The...mixed-use development also will include a 126-room hotel. Details about the hotel still have not been released.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:18 PM
James

This is so exciting! A 9 story building will surely look great coming into downtown from 281N. I would totally live there if I was on my own.

Chad, what is the price range of 1800?

Last edited by jaga185; Jul 25, 2008 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:32 PM
Closed account

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...a3546e67acb91d

Here's a map I did of under construction/proposed/recently finished projects on Broadway.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSanAntonioLame View Post
embarcadero is at St Mary's and 9th. Not too far off Broadway.
Thanks, I should've remembered it was off St. Mary's. I hope the hotel is either boutique or something a little upscale. Nothing could ruin the vibe faster than another LaQuinta-esque box like the one next to Rivercenter

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 9:13 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Thanks, I should've remembered it was off St. Mary's. I hope the hotel is either boutique or something a little upscale. Nothing could ruin the vibe faster than another LaQuinta-esque box like the one next to Rivercenter
I still don't understand how that's "San Antonio." Fucking HDRC. Pardon my French.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
this is the beginning, people. remember this.

and remember that a few of these type of developments might be better than 1 or 2 residential skyscrapers. great urban cities are great because of this scale development and this look for a neighborhood every bit as muchas they are for imposing skylines. my favorite neighborhoods in san fransisco, seattle, and even nyc have very few 400 footers and quite a few 4-8 story buildings right on the sidewalk.

i think broadway and river north are showing us the tip of the iceberg here - i am starting to get very, very excited. between this and the broadway lofts, we definitely have the beginning of something special.
I feel the rumble from where I'm at!

Nice project for SA.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 9:46 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

DEFINITELY .... FINALLY moving in the correct direction down there in SA...Its SAtime!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 9:48 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSanAntonioLame View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...a3546e67acb91d

Here's a map I did of under construction/proposed/recently finished projects on Broadway.
that's nice. keep it up and we'll refer to it as a reference.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I still don't understand how that's "San Antonio." Fucking HDRC. Pardon my French.
lol, let it out dude.

In fairness, that LaQuinta is probably the nicest one I've seen anywhere. It's actually the white-trash Denny's that sits next to it that really gets my goat

You know what they say about "LaQuinta": its Spanish for "behind the Denny's"

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 10:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
that's nice. keep it up and we'll refer to it as a reference.
I'll try to keep it updated.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 11:36 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
lol, let it out dude.

In fairness, that LaQuinta is probably the nicest one I've seen anywhere. It's actually the white-trash Denny's that sits next to it that really gets my goat

You know what they say about "LaQuinta": its Spanish for "behind the Denny's"
behind the denny's!?!? that is great...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
This is so exciting! A 9 story building will surely look great coming into downtown from 281N. I would totally live there if I wasn't on my own yet.

Chad, what is the price range of 1800?
Jaga:

The projected rents (this is not a for-sale project) will be $850-$1600/month when we open (hopefully in late 2009).

Chad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio