HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 8:32 AM

Winnipeg | ZÜ | 160 Osborne St & 424/425 Wardlaw Ave.

160 Osborne St
Developer: Private Pension Partners
Architect(s) : BLDG architecture office inc.
Construction Manager: Pre-Con Builders
Description: 3 new buildings at the site of the (soon to be demolished) Osborne Village Inn. All three buildings will have covered and underground parking with 207 apartment suites across two lots, a total of 54,110-square-feet and about 14,000 square feet of combined commercial space at street level.
  • 160 Osborne St, a six-storey,mixed-use, multi-family apartment building with 89 units
  • 424 and 425 Wardlaw Ave. two four-storey, mixed-use, multi-family complexes with 59 units each

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Dec 22, 2019 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Redevelopment of Osborne Village Inn passes first test
City committee approves development applications for massive mixed-use complex
Danielle Da Silva Posted: 09/20/2019 3:51 PM

The developers behind a massive residential mixed-use project in Osborne Village hope to revitalize the strip by turning a piece of land left to waste into a new destination.

Robin Lee, Karl Loepp, and Karen Shanski appeared at City Centre community committee on Sept. 17 to present redevelopment plans for 160 Osborne St., the site of the shuttered Osborne Village Inn; 424 Wardlaw Ave., where the hotel’s beer vendor previously operated; and 425 Wardlaw Ave., a surface parking lot south of the two lots.

Lee, principal at Pre-Con Builders and the applicant for the proposed development, told the committee they plan to build three residential mixed-use buildings with 207 apartment suites across two lots, a total of 54,110-square-feet.

At 160 Osborne St., the apartment block will be six storeys and have 89 residential units. The ground floor will be reserved for commercial development, with one or two units for restaurant and retail space proposed on the west side of the building.

At both 425 and 424 Wardlaw Ave., Lee said there will be 59 residential units and "live-work" units on the main level of the four-storey buildings.

To make the development feasible, Lee applied to rezone 424 Wardlaw Ave. from residential multifamily-medium to residential mixed use, and rezone 425 Wardlaw Ave. and 160 Osborne St. from commercial to residential mixed use. Applications for variances, a conditional use, and the closure of the public lane east of 160 Osborne St. between Wardlaw Avenue and the back lane were also required.

City Centre community committee unanimously approved all the applications.

Loepp, chief operating officer for developer Private Pension Partners, said all of the residential units will be rental suites and they’ve incorporated a few universally accessible units as part of their plan. Parking for the development will be handled on-site, with nearly one space per residential unit, including at-grade and underground parking.

"We’ve gone to finalizing what we believe is something that does fit the urban fabric of Osborne Village," Loepp said.

"We’re neighbours in the Village. We want to become an important part of the Village and so that’s why we’re very sensitive to what the Village character is and we want to maintain that."

Basil Lagopoulos, a longtime resident of Osborne Village and landlord in the area, appeared in support the proposal and said the project is in line with his family’s vision for the Village as a place that promotes a lifestyle counter to "massive malls," suburban sprawl, and cookie-cutter housing, referencing the 1962 song Little Boxes by Malvina Reynolds.

He also encouraged redevelopment of the former hotel site, which has been vacant since the end of November 2015.

"I speak in support of this project because the derelict is the past. It has to be changed, it has to be altered, it has to rejuvenated," he said.

Karen Shanski, lead architect with BLDG Architecture Office, said the development integrates balconies, central courtyard spaces, and introduces new architectural expressions of scale, pattern and colour to the Village. She said most suites will be well appointed one-bedroom units, and the "live-work" suites on the ground floor will give tenants a chance "to incorporate their creative life back into the fabric of Osborne."

The proposal was not without its objectors, however. Neighbours turned out to the committee meeting to voice their concerns about variances for reduced setbacks, parking, and the closure of the public lane.

According to City administration, the closure of the lane was required to make the development possible. The committee approved the sale of the lane to the developer which will allow them to build the required underground parking.

As a condition of the approval, the lane, while privately owned, must remain publicly accessible for pedestrians and cyclists.

Vehicle access to the lane will be restricted to delivery and moving vehicles only. The design of the lane, according to City administration, will be a Dutch woonerf style, which provides traffic calming and prioritizes pedestrians, cyclists, seating and socializing through specific design interventions.

The applications must be approved by city council and plan approval (which includes design) will be considered by community committee at a future date.

"It’s been a long time coming for this site," Coun. Sherri Rollins (Fort Rouge-East Fort Garry) said.

"It meets the character of Osborne Village, it has hidden parking, but parking nonetheless. It adds to mixed housing and I want to point out how happy I am that it includes accessibility and aging in place, including some universally accessible units."

Rollins said she believes neighbourhood concerns about lane way access will be appeased once they have a glass of wine in hand at the proposed restaurant patio.

"It is the life of Osborne Village, it is the romance and entertainment, and yes even the patios, that I want you to experience and that which I think you live in the Village for," she said.

Loepp said development activity could begin on site as early as next summer.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ou...560908961.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 1:41 PM

Basil Lagopoulos: "I speak in support of this project because the derelict is the past. It has to be changed, it has to be altered, it has to rejuvenated"

Hmmm... does this guy hear his own words? Isn't he one of the main landlords holding up redevelopment and rejuvenation in the Village? Glad be supports this project, but he needs to get his own properties in order too.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 2:17 PM

Wow, an example where a positive property development is going off seemingly without a hitch. Unanimous approval from council, a developer who is sensitive to the needs of the area and a nimby movement that was all but ignored. Would that more developments could proceed like this.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Basil Lagopoulos: "I speak in support of this project because the derelict is the past. It has to be changed, it has to be altered, it has to rejuvenated"

Hmmm... does this guy hear his own words? Isn't he one of the main landlords holding up redevelopment and rejuvenation in the Village? Glad be supports this project, but he needs to get his own properties in order too.
He sold all of his property on the strip, except I believe he held onto the restaurant. Coincidentally, Private Pension Partners bought all his property. So now we just have to hope they don't devolve into his style, as they own half of the strip now.

This is a great project. I would have loved to see the Osborne lot as a hotel, but there's lots of underutilized lots left to redevelop. I can't fathom what people's complaints about losing that lane were... it was pretty much just an entrance to the vendor lot.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
He sold all of his property on the strip, except I believe he held onto the restaurant. Coincidentally, Private Pension Partners bought all his property. So now we just have to hope they don't devolve into his style, as they own half of the strip now.

This is a great project. I would have loved to see the Osborne lot as a hotel, but there's lots of underutilized lots left to redevelop. I can't fathom what people's complaints about losing that lane were... it was pretty much just an entrance to the vendor lot.
I live in the area, completely onboard with something being done with the old hotel but the one way back lane exiting onto Osborne is a pain in the ass. We simply asked that the back lane be converted to a two way. The response from the city planners was that they thought it was already a two way.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I can't imagine that happening. They've made their money in developing leasable real estate, not in holding vacant lots and waiting for the market to emerge.

https://privatepensionpartners.com/investments/

I think the risk with them is less about them leaving it undeveloped, and more about them building a cheap eyesore.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlawer View Post
I live in the area, completely onboard with something being done with the old hotel but the one way back lane exiting onto Osborne is a pain in the ass. We simply asked that the back lane be converted to a two way. The response from the city planners was that they thought it was already a two way.
Where is this laneway? It goes from Scott to Osborne? If that was two-way (i.e., you could go from Scott to Osborne, not just vice versa) wouldn't that end up getting used as a shortcut for people trying to skip Confusion Corner?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:18 PM

Overall I do like the layout of the proposal but I would like to see more renderings as this would be a great opportunity to update the streetscaping in the Osbourne neighbourhood.

However I would personally prefer something along the lines of at 12+ floor mixed use residential for such a predominant inner-city neighbourhood. I think that 6+ floors is a little underwhelming and that Osbourne can handle stronger density efforts. Again, that would be determined by the market.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post

It's also hilarious that he says his "family's vision" for the area is indie counter culture when he's been single-handedly killing off independent business in the village for years with his excessive rent

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 3:04 PM

While it's nice to see this moving forward. It's disappointing another local spot is being lost for condos.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
While it's nice to see this moving forward. It's disappointing another local spot is being lost for condos.
its been lost for a long time

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:45 AM

That whole property would have been a fantastic spot for a decent hotel. The area has everything and is entirely walk-able with access to The Forks, Village, Legislature, Corydon and an abundance of local shops and restaurants. Bloody shame.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
That whole property would have been a fantastic spot for a decent hotel. The area has everything and is entirely walk-able with access to The Forks, Village, Legislature, Corydon and an abundance of local shops and restaurants. Bloody shame.
I have long thought the same thing. The Village isn't what it used to be, but back in its heyday it could have been a pretty appealing place to stay with shops, bars, restaurants and nightlife nearby. A good hotel would have also given the neighbourhood establishments a shot in the arm too.

I suppose it's still possible, but my optimism for Osborne Village is waning a bit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have long thought the same thing. The Village isn't what it used to be, but back in its heyday it could have been a pretty appealing place to stay with shops, bars, restaurants and nightlife nearby. A good hotel would have also given the neighbourhood establishments a shot in the arm too.

I suppose it's still possible, but my optimism for Osborne Village is waning a bit.
Do we need a hotel though in this Airbnb era?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Do we need a hotel though in this Airbnb era?
As a traveller I appreciate airbnb and I'm sure it brings some benefits to the area, but I'm not sure it can do for a neighbourhood what a full-on proper hotel could. Imagine if, say, the Norwood with its pub and restaurant and banquet hall and jobs for probably dozens of people didn't exist and demand in that area was met by some apartments and SFHs pressed into airbnb service... it just wouldn't be as good.

But yeah, it's entirely possible that airbnb has reduced the chances of a hotel going up in the Village, assuming that anyone was actually trying to make that happen in the first place.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As a traveller I appreciate airbnb and I'm sure it brings some benefits to the area, but I'm not sure it can do for a neighbourhood what a full-on proper hotel could. Imagine if, say, the Norwood with its pub and restaurant and banquet hall and jobs for probably dozens of people didn't exist and demand in that area was met by some apartments and SFHs pressed into airbnb service... it just wouldn't be as good.

But yeah, it's entirely possible that airbnb has reduced the chances of a hotel going up in the Village, assuming that anyone was actually trying to make that happen in the first place.
Also, without a hotel there's no vendor, which is definitely a hit to an area like Osborne Village.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Also, without a hotel there's no vendor, which is definitely a hit to an area like Osborne Village.
Good point. Where do people in Osborne Village buy their beer now? I guess the LC is the only option in the area, apart from that I guess one of the hotels downtown or somewhere like the Quality Inn on Pembina?

It seems normal to us because we're used to it, but I would imagine that to anyone not from Manitoba it would be crazy that you could have such a large urban neighbourhood and absolutely nowhere to buy cold beer.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
its been lost for a long time
I know. What I'm saying is if we keep replacing cultural type places with blah. All we'll have is blah.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:55 PM

i feel that the village would have been a good place for a Moxy (Marriott). They tend to have fewer amenities but stronger design sensibilities, are targeted at younger leisure travellers, and often are located in mid-gentrification kinds of neighbourhoods, often ones without other hotels nearby.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan