HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 4:44 PM
thirty three and a third

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Wow. That land is big enough for hundreds of housing units. Would be great to see a big mixed used development there.
... the land closest to the trail doesn't appear to have been part of the recent sale... Wonder if it was St. Mary's

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyfive View Post
... the land closest to the trail doesn't appear to have been part of the recent sale... Wonder if it was St. Mary's
There was some chatter last year that St Mary's was interested in that piece of land. It is adjacent (across the street) from where they have been planning a hotel. Not sure how reliable the chatter is though

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Wow. That land is big enough for hundreds of housing units. Would be great to see a big mixed used development there.
Hoping so! Great spot for something huge, or personally preferable, multiple denser developments for a finer grain, expanding the denser area that is St Mary's Ferry Landing.. which is one of the only hubs of density with a currently convenient location. Hope whoever bought it does it justice, whatever is done with it.

Last edited by StatelyElms; Mar 20, 2024 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Clarifying message

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
There was some chatter last year that St Mary's was interested in that piece of land. It is adjacent (across the street) from where they have been planning a hotel. Not sure how reliable the chatter is though
Confirmed by Chief Polchies that St Mary's purchased the former McLean's Sports property "to help grow its economic capacity"

https://twitter.com/chiefallanjr/sta...64019472576913

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:21 AM

There were some minor street naming proposals in the PAC agenda that I hadn't seen earlier this month.
  • Marcel LeBlanc (representing the 12 Neighbours Community Inc.) proposed naming the axial private lane in the 12 Neighbours community "Neighbourly Way"
  • and Peter DeMerchant proposed naming the upcoming road linking Murray Avenue to Irvine Street and Eco Terra Drive "DeMerchant Drive".
Both were recommended, and though I wasn't present for the meeting so I'm unsure whether they went through, but I can't see why they wouldn't have.

(Side note, another thing I hadn't noticed before: in the map for DeMerchant Drive in this PAC package, there's a "Trail" label on the south side of the current Murray-Irvine/Eco Terra connection. Could that be referring to a possible future mixed-use trail, or is it simply referring to the current gravel shoulder?)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:32 AM

An update re the new Performing Arts Centre ie Playhouse 2.0 was provided to city council this evening. Highlights include:
  • Detailed planning/design documents are now 90% complete and will be finalized and reviewed in the next couple of weeks
  • Heavy equipment should be onsite in the next couple of weeks to begin full site preparation, underground infrastructure and construction
  • Above surface concrete and steel work will begin this fall
  • A crane will be erected for the construction phase
  • Coordination to take place with the adjacent Justice Building construction occurring at same time
  • Project currently 17% complete and still on course to be completed and open for business in Fall 2026

Last edited by Freddypop; Mar 26, 2024 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 11:07 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ment-1.7155402

I don't know much about the background here. The article failed to give any reasons why the UNB lands have failed to attract any development. Anybody?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ment-1.7155402

I don't know much about the background here. The article failed to give any reasons why the UNB lands have failed to attract any development. Anybody?
Good question. I know that this land was being advertised for a long time by Partners Global but I don't believe it's on their site anymore. I'm not positive but I think the development land may need to be leased from UNB and if that's the case I suspect it makes things more difficult.

The way it is zoned (see zoning map here: https://www.fredericton.ca/en/busine...oning-land-use) is also awkward. It's basically split into two zones: UNB Endowment Development and UNB Endowment Conservation. Rather than having one large contiguous development area it's split into multiple areas. I think it would be more logical to have one large chunk along Knowledge Park Drive be earmarked for development which would potentially make it attractive to have a true mixed use neighbourhood built out.

It is surprising that nothing has happened though, especially since the Knowledge Park/Regent Street area is likely the second biggest employment cluster in the city, and there's literally zero housing around it south of the highway. Some apartment buildings along Knowledge Park would be a great start.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Good question. I know that this land was being advertised for a long time by Partners Global but I don't believe it's on their site anymore. I'm not positive but I think the development land may need to be leased from UNB and if that's the case I suspect it makes things more difficult.

The way it is zoned (see zoning map here: https://www.fredericton.ca/en/busine...oning-land-use) is also awkward. It's basically split into two zones: UNB Endowment Development and UNB Endowment Conservation. Rather than having one large contiguous development area it's split into multiple areas. I think it would be more logical to have one large chunk along Knowledge Park Drive be earmarked for development which would potentially make it attractive to have a true mixed use neighbourhood built out.

It is surprising that nothing has happened though, especially since the Knowledge Park/Regent Street area is likely the second biggest employment cluster in the city, and there's literally zero housing around it south of the highway. Some apartment buildings along Knowledge Park would be a great start.
I believe you are correct re that land must be leased from UNB. I recall that the Corbett Centre development had a 99 year lease clause attached to it, so I suspect similar with this piece of land. In my limited past experience dealing with UNB property management, they are not historically active in pushing/promoting land for non-UNB use.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 2:06 PM

This was posted over on LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/mike-...member_desktop

Property page:https://www.cbre.ca/properties/land/...-brunswick-e3a

Plans include: 16 multi-unit buildings, 21 townhomes, 32 stacked townhomes, 20 duplexes, and 3 single family homes. 1,580 units in total.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 2:18 PM

They're asking $31M, or approx $20k per unit, for fully serviced land. Seems reasonable but I wonder if anyone who typically builds in Fredericton has deep enough pockets to take that on. It's a bit initial ask. I assumed they were just going to sell the lots off piecemeal.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
They're asking $31M, or approx $20k per unit, for fully serviced land. Seems reasonable but I wonder if anyone who typically builds in Fredericton has deep enough pockets to take that on. It's a bit initial ask. I assumed they were just going to sell the lots off piecemeal.
Wait, this is the massive development that went to council and was approved, right? Now they are selling it and stalling he potential build? This could sit for years before someone buys this gets shovels in the ground, and we need more homes now.

We need more oversight in NB and start putting in place stringent timeline bylaws and conditions for approving these massive development proposals. Otherwise, they sit idle or are potentially re-sold at a premium once they get all of the "approvals". If an applicant cannot prove that they are financed and ready to get shovels in the ground within a year, they should not be approved. Worse, this will likely be sold to an investor outside of the city at a premium...meaning that every dollar of rent will go to Calgary or Toronto, and not back into the local economy.

Just ask SJ how their downtown "percy hole" is looking these days.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Wait, this is the massive development that went to council and was approved, right? Now they are selling it and stalling he potential build? This could sit for years before someone buys this gets shovels in the ground, and we need more homes now.

We need more oversight in NB and start putting in place stringent timeline bylaws and conditions for approving these massive development proposals. Otherwise, they sit idle or are potentially re-sold at a premium once they get all of the "approvals". If an applicant cannot prove that they are financed and ready to get shovels in the ground within a year, they should not be approved. Worse, this will likely be sold to an investor outside of the city at a premium...meaning that every dollar of rent will go to Calgary or Toronto, and not back into the local economy.

Just ask SJ how their downtown "percy hole" is looking these days.
They are putting shovels into the ground though. Building out the infrastructure for a project like this is fairly significant.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 7:14 PM

Namaste Bistro has provided an update of their proposal to purchase Lemont House from the City of Fredericton via a Facebook post here: https://www.facebook.com/namastebist...e1hSFqbgcXEtkl

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 5:32 PM

I noticed today that Subway in the regent mall food court is closed and boarded over. not sure if it is permanent or just a renovation

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balfozz View Post
I noticed today that Subway in the regent mall food court is closed and boarded over. not sure if it is permanent or just a renovation
The mall just posted on social media that Subway is renovating.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 12:32 AM

Mary Browns on Douglas is opening April 9, AFAIK. Saw a thing from them on Facebook.

Also saw that Big Axe Brewery and Entity 59 Smokehouse are moving into the Mactaquac Park Lodge.

Entity 59 was awesome down in Harvey, in a very small space. This is a big upgrade for them.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 4:00 PM

There is some chatter going around that possibly Freak Lunchbox is coming to Regent Mall. The rumours indicate the former Children’s Place is where it might be located. (Or at least they will be taking a portion of it).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 11:13 PM

April's PAC agenda is out!

https://www.fredericton.ca/sites/def...0Package_0.pdf
  • Cuffman Street: proposal for multi-residential and detached-residential zoning along a new public collector street (DeMerchant Drive, extended across Cuffman Street) which would connect Cuffman to Crockett. There will also be a multi-use trail from Eco Terra along the EOS zone.
  • 421-423 Union Street (Saint Mary's Ferry Landing): demolition and rebuilding of 4-unit dwelling due to fire damage. Zoning amendment required for individual entrances. Less area than existing building (not wall-to-wall)
  • 24 Murray Avenue: new semi-detached prefab duplex in vacant lot.
  • 128-132 Forest Hill Road & 150 Turnbull Court: right-of-way expansion for new north side sidewalk
  • 360-368 Forest Hill Road (Rigby Hall): amending terms & conditions to allow a take-out food service ("virtual cook house")
  • 140 Clark Street: addition of new light manufacturing facility in behind current building for 12 Neighbours Community Inc., to build tiny homes.
  • 20 Knowledge Park Drive: similar-use variance for new location for Office of the Superintendent and Fredericton Education Centre, to free up ~20 classrooms in the schools they are currently occupying. Contested by Ross Ventures – read April 2024 Agenda for details

Edit: as the report & package has been released more details have been provided, changes are underlined.

Last edited by StatelyElms; Apr 12, 2024 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 9:39 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Seems another lot is being cleared on Bishop Dr. between Nissan and Volkswagen.

The clearing in question:

Edit: There is also a lot of earth being moved around by the roundabout on the corner of Bishop and Avonlea.

Last edited by KnoxfordGuy; Apr 10, 2024 at 12:44 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces