HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Walch View Post
On the Metro Permit Report there is a new early stage proposal for a 5 story, 200 unit mixed use building just north of the Matisse. Good to see some development happening in SoWa. It is a shame that it is another stubby.
Only 1,100 square feet of retail for a 200 unit building?? That is not good. I notice it says "Design advice request...", hopefully the advice they get will be "Add more retail space!"

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 6:42 PM

I agree, the project should have more retail. Though if I was a developer I would look at all the unrented retail in the Matisse and wonder how long my storefronts will bleed money before it all fills up. Hopefully they powers that be and the developer will think carefully about how to place retail on a district scale inorder to make sure that a genuine main street/shopping street emerges in SoWa and it does not end up with too much partially occupied retail scattered through the neighborhood. At this point it has to be hard as there does not seem to be the critical mass of people living and working there and the perception I get from the larger city is that SoWa is a ghost town not worth visiting. But with each new project it gets a little closer to being a real live/work/shop district and soon(ish) I think it will hit the tipping point.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Walch View Post
Hopefully they powers that be and the developer will think carefully about how to place retail on a district scale inorder to make sure that a genuine main street/shopping street emerges in SoWa and it does not end up with too much partially occupied retail scattered through the neighborhood. At this point it has to be hard as there does not seem to be the critical mass of people living and working there and the perception I get from the larger city is that SoWa is a ghost town not worth visiting.
I live down there and I can tell you that things have changed quite a bit in the last year or so. It looks like most of the condo buildings are full. I noticed that Atwater still has a dozen or so for sale but they have been stubborn from the beginning about their prices so that doesn't surprise me. The Meriwether and the John Ross have just 2-3 each that are on the market (resale). The apartments appear to be filling up fast although I don't know specific numbers. The Ardea appears to be full from my perspective.

It is a chicken and the egg scenerio in regards to retail moving into the neighborhood. I really do think we are within months of that tipping point where we see a noticable difference in retail making an effort to get down there. With the new school going in along with the Max line, the Emory and now Little Big Burger, interest should pick up. Yes, Little Big Burger could save the neighborhood, that is no exaggeration. Okay, maybe a little.

I just hope the developers have a long term (10+ years) vision for the area. Once a building is built without retail on the ground floor, we are stuck with it. I hope they trade short-term profits for long term usability for the whole neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post
Yes, Little Big Burger could save the neighborhood, that is no exaggeration. Okay, maybe a little.
That, or Beau Breedlove's new restaurant, which the Willamette Week reports is now open (potentially NSFW, depending on where you work).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:18 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post
Yes, Little Big Burger could save the neighborhood, that is no exaggeration. Okay, maybe a little.
By the way, Little Big Burger is no longer stalled. They showed a construction update on their Facebook page.

What do you think of Rilassi Coffee House? I recently had the pleasure to work with the owner, I developed the website: http://rilassicoffeehouse.com/

The Rilsassi owner is the Board President at the South Portland Business Association (SPBA), and he is actively trying to make the SoWa a better place. In fact, he may have some future development plans of his own. Check out the SPBA online, http://www.southportlandba.com/, I also developed their website.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:00 PM

This is something I was working on for the South Waterfront Art Show. It was not accepted although I did have two other photos that were accepted. The art show starts on November 30th, if you are interested. I still really like this piece though. On the left is a photo I took back in 2005 and I blended it into a photo I took a few weeks ago (Sept. 2012). If you look in the middle, the Meriwether floors are lined up so you can see the construction and the finished product. I think the photo really shows the progress that has been made down there.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 12:04 PM

Updates from 10-20-2012.

River bank restoration work:

New Zidell Development:

New OHSU Building:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 10:20 PM

I'm looking forward to the build-out of this campus.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 3:34 AM
PearlHelp.com

View from CHH 9th floor 11/13:

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 5:34 AM

Cool picture, thanks!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 5:56 AM

Ditto..

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 8:50 AM

That's awesome, I was just up there taking pics a few days before. Went to the 16th floor, there's an awesome viewing deck that spans the length of the building. ....Then tried to gret a view looking south.... which meant me wandering the halls on a few floors trying to find a spot... and finally an employee asked what I needed... and suggested the tram. It was time to leave

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 1:42 PM

so wait, there's a viewing deck??

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 9:05 PM
PearlHelp.com

I was a patient on the 16th floor, in fact I went back for six months for followups (each month). This time I was a patient again because I just broke my wrist riding my bicycle. I was actually riding at OHSU when it happened, you may remember last Saturday was icy. I was just beginning the downhill ride and slipped out; went flying and landed on my face and left wrist. Sucks.

The photo was take with an iPhone 4S using the "Pro HDR" app. Basically the app stabilizes and takes 1-3 photos, and follows up with some cool HD effects that bring rich colors out. Notice the Fedex truck two times?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
so wait, there's a viewing deck??
Yep, I think only on the 16th floor. Just a narrow deck spanning the length of the building. I didn't expect to find it, but I was taking pics from the ped bridge over I-5 and saw some people standing up there... didn't realize there was so much space to walk around, (well back and forth) it was great!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:09 PM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
BTW anyone know what the white crane-base is for in that pic? Just below Ross Island Bridge. It wasn't there when I took pics.
The Zidell apartments.

http://www.southportlandba.com/2012/...th-waterfront/

Edit: The forums glitched my post above his somehow?

Last edited by Shilo Rune 96; Nov 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 7:42 PM

BTW anyone know what the white crane-base is for in that pic? Just below Ross Island Bridge. It wasn't there when I took pics.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 7:58 PM

sure, that's the 7-story zidell apartment project

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
The Zidell apartments.

http://www.southportlandba.com/2012/...th-waterfront/

Edit: The forums glitched my post above his somehow?
thanks! yeah i saw this glitch happen somewhere else today too.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 3:27 PM

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=422182

This is the pre-app conference for the building that a little back was mention in a early assistance intake.

It is a six-story development will contain 202 dwelling units, and 1,100 square feet of ground floor retail. Parking for 202 vehicles will be provided in two below-grade levels, and be accessed from SW Abernethy Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland