HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:21 PM

Zidell Update

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 8:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
Inches! Yay! It’s something

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:53 AM

I had a look at the zoning code and was surprised to see that Zidell isn’t a required Central City Master Plan site. While they have the option to do so, they don’t have to go through the process that the Broadway Corridor, RiverPlace and OMSI sites have had to.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 12:36 AM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference:

Quote:
: A Pre-Application Conference to discuss a Land Division of the Zidell property. The proposal includes 15 lots, public and private streets/accessways and a greenway tract.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 2:45 AM
BANNED

Interesting. What do you guys think the Zidells have planned?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
One thing I notice from these plans is that they would seem to preclude the retention of the barge building. From an economic perspective I get why, but it seems like a shame; the building has great adaptive reuse potential. It's easy to imagine something like North Vancouver's Shipyards Commons.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 11:39 PM
A before E

Quote:
One thing I notice from these plans is that they would seem to preclude the retention of the barge building. From an economic perspective I get why, but it seems like a shame; the building has great adaptive reuse potential. It's easy to imagine something like North Vancouver's Shipyards Commons.
Losing that character would be a lost opportunity. I was thinking about how Gothenburg, Sweden has done this with the redevelopment of a number of their former shipyards to preserve the history of their harbor.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:
What a cool development for Vancouver BC! I really wish Portland did more to preserve it's history as one of the largest ship building Ports in the US during WWII.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 11:43 PM

Neighborhood Contact meeting scheduled for the Zidell subdivision.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:28 AM
A before E

Quote:
Neighborhood Contact meeting scheduled for the Zidell subdivision.
That would be good to see happen, though I thought that was the hold up with the city that caused the original plan to fall through because the city didn't want to pay for the infrastructure? We have been through a lot in society since that deal fell through so my memory of it is a bit foggy.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:53 PM

I don't have access to Portland Business Journal however I've seen a reference to the grocery store planned for south waterfront has been canceled. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 9:05 PM

Not canceled, but the developer wasn't able to sign a a lease with one or other of Kroger or Albertsons:

Quote:
How the pending Kroger-Albertsons merger derailed a Portland grocery lease

A Texas developer is trying to bring a grocery store to Portland's South Waterfront but faced a setback with the proposed merger of supermarket chains Kroger and Albertsons.

The grocery store situation in South Waterfront is so bad there's a whole Reddit page about it. Some report heading to Zupan's way down the shoreline in Johns Landing. One person describes going to the Burlingame Fred Meyer.

Matt Segrest plans on having a grocery store in his Alamo Manhattan Blocks development on the South Waterfront. (Watch for more news on the progress of that development next week.) Segrest's Dallas-based Alamo Manhattan firm was in lease negotiations to open a grocery store there.

But the planned merger between the Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) and Albertsons Cos. (NYSE: ACI) sidelined that deal, he said.

Segrest, chatting over coffee at a downtown Portland café, didn't elaborate on the specifics. (He later clarified that while they weren't in talks with Kroger, the proposed merger is what paused those negotiations.)

Now, project officials are in talks with other grocers, and they have put in for permits for that use. The store could be 15,000 to 20,000 square feet, depending on what goes in, Segrest said.

...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 10:14 PM

Okay, great. Thanks for the clarification.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 9:28 PM

A prominent South Waterfront project takes shape after stops and starts

Quote:
The fate of one of Portland's most-sought development sites could take shape this spring.

ZRZ Realty Co. in April will hold a meeting for neighbors to explain its plans for Zidell Yards, nearly five years after negotiations with the city to redevelop the land fell apart.

ZRZ is considering subdividing its land just south of the Tilikum Crossing's western landing, though it's not clear to what end. A dozen lots are proposed for the area at 3121 S. Moody Ave., according to a notice posted at the site. ZRZ is holding a meeting over Zoom on April 5 to discuss.
Continues at BizJournals($)

Pre-Application Conference at the Zidell site:

Quote:
A Pre-Application Conference to discuss a Land Division of the Zidell property. The proposal includes 15 lots, public and private streets/accessways and a greenway tract.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 9:32 PM
BANNED

I wonder what they got planned. Better than live nation going there Atleast

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 1:10 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
I wonder what they got planned. Better than live nation going there Atleast
The Live Nation proposal was frankly an interim use until the real estate market was right or the Zidells could figure out what to do with their land, which increasingly occupies a location that offers so many possibilities, especially as the OMSI master plan moves forward and its land on the other side of the Crossing gets developed. By platting the land with streets, I suspect they will sell off most of the platted blocks to other developers, which could really speed up the build-out on the Zidell property.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 1:30 PM

So is this happening without public money for streets?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 4:52 PM

If I recall correctly, the Zidell property has a bonus height limits up to 325' toward the west half of the area, down to 250' toward the river. It would be awesome if they build these lots perfectly sized to accomodate some future high rise towers that will add to the South Waterfront's height and density.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 6:15 PM

Quote:
ZRZ Realty Co. is quite literally laying the groundwork for future development at Zidell Yards.

But a project representative who spoke with some 80 people on Wednesday evening was careful not to get into plans for future buildings, besides telling neighbors any buildings would have to go through public design review.

The plan is to apply in May to subdivide ZRZ Realty's 30 acre-plus property on the South Waterfront where its barge business used to operate into a dozen lots on the Willamette. The property sits between South Moody Avenue and the river.

The subdivision, the makeup of which the city could decide later this year, helps map out streets and other public rights of way on the land, though building infrastructure is its own beast.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 3:33 PM

Subdivision of Zidell property as mentioned above

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...U/4920666_did/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland