HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 7:03 PM

One thing is for sure, the residents of those southernmost glass towers are eternally grateful that this area did not develop as originally planned, at least those living on the 8th floor and above. Perpetually unobstructed river and mountain views to the south!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 9:59 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
The Matisse and The Ella are horrible looking buildings and I don't get how they made it through design review. The materials are cheap and drab and they don't contribute to the neighborhood through quality design like the glass towers built during the boom do.

However, can any of you name a better brownfield redevelopment than South Waterfront in similarly sized US city? Even cities a tier above PDX don't have anything like this.
I don't mind The Ella, but The Matisse is inexcusably bad. Design. Materials. Even the overall concept is just plain bad.

...but you're absolutely right about brownfield redevelopment.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 1:35 AM

I know we have this debate every 6 months or so, but... while the overall story (brownfield to mixed-use) of the South Waterfront is, of course, impressive, I've been increasingly underwhelmed with how the district is developing. To say that I am holding out great hope for the Zidell properties would be an understatement.

One, I think the neighborhood would have been far more interesting architecturally (even a destination, potentially) if the PDC had carved up each site and parceled them out to different architect+developer teams, perhaps awarded after a design competition. This also would have been a great neighborhood to experiment with "unlimited" heights or different height limits set as bonuses for a variety of amenities. More variety in both height and materiality would have greatly benefited the whole neighborhood. Now we're faced with a weird glob of same-y highrises on podiums next to a bad and rather large blob of buildings to the south all in the 5-7 story range with the associated drop-off in building quality. I say this fully aware of the effects of the deep recession but still: although the overall concept may have been forward-thinking, the results are just a bit on the 'meh' side when compared to the glittering bill of goods that we were sold.

The other thing that gets me is the amount of parking. Remember when city leaders were telling us that South Waterfront had to take a different approach to POV's because of its unusual location with limited/awkward access? Now we have OHSU building a 5-story parking garage (678 spots) on block 28, which is already looking like a pox on the neighborhood. Combined with the PDC's newfound interest in using public money to invest in parking garages (ever heard of climate change?) this is not a good sign at all. I look forward to seeing how the area functions in terms of auto congestion as it continues to fill in.

(And yes, I refuse to call the PDC "Prosper Portland". They need to wipe the slate clean and start over, not change the window dressing.)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
One, I think the neighborhood would have been far more interesting architecturally (even a destination, potentially) if the PDC had carved up each site and parceled them out to different architect+developer teams, perhaps awarded after a design competition.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the PDC has ever been a major landowner in South Waterfront. And without control of the land, their ability to dictate development is extremely limited.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think the PDC has ever been a major landowner in South Waterfront. And without control of the land, their ability to dictate development is extremely limited.
You're right, actually. The PDC just administered the Central Macadam URA and acted as interlocutor for the agreement between private developer and city gov that resulted in the initial South Waterfront development agreement. So they couldn't have parceled the land as I suggested. I think my general point about architectural variety in the district still stands, though, without the finger pointed so much at the PDC itself. It was a massive public investment, on balance a worthy one. But the architecture+urban planning nerd/international traveler in me still can't shake the meh's when I'm down there -- and the Prometheus plans aren't especially exciting, though I'd rather see even more mid-rises of the same height get built than wait for another decade.

I found this vintage WW article, which is an interesting read with the benefit of hindsight and also mentions the fact that Tiffany (HSP) and Craig (Urbanworks) Sweitzer are Homer's stepkids. You learn something new everyday.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:19 PM

Drawings [152 MB] and Staff Report, which recommends approval, for Blocks 41 & 44

Presentation [10MB] to the Design Commission on Block 40

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:41 AM

Request for Response for Blocks 42 & 45.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Drawings [152 MB] and Staff Report, which recommends approval, for Blocks 41 & 44
Yesterday's presentation [70 MB] to the Design Commission, with a bunch of renderings that weren't in the drawing package linked above. Project wasn't approved, and is returning for a second hearing on August 17th.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 1:11 AM

The Gantry food carts are closing due to the Zidell Yards redevelopment. I found this a bit surprising as I thought any development in that area was still a few years away.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:35 AM

This is what the posted to facebook (emphasis mine):

Quote:
In regards to the upcoming closure of The Gantry Food Pod at Zidell Yards:

We have enjoyed having a food cart pod on Zidell property. As everyone has no doubt heard and seen, there are lots of changes underway at this site. With the launch of Zidell Marine’s last barge a few weeks ago, the Zidell team is preparing to clean up the land surrounding the barge building and get it ready for redevelopment.

It is necessary for us to close this food cart pod at the end of August so we can install construction fencing along Moody Avenue and begin this redevelopment work. The area where the food carts are now will become a construction zone shortly after the fence goes up. The safety of our food cart owners, and their customers, is of utmost concern to us, and this is why we gave notice in June that the food carts will need to find a new location by August 31.

We wish them success in their future home.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:56 PM

Request for Response for Blocks 42 and 45.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:43 PM

Memo to the Design Commission regarding Blocks 41 and 44

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Memo to the Design Commission regarding Blocks 41 and 44
Presentation [35 MB]. Project was approved yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 8:05 PM

This is a good-looking project. Interesting mix of what appear to be high quality materials. Wish the other lo-rise buildings in SW could have been built to the same standard, but... assume those are lower rent units for the most part (?). As an aside, I wonder if the architect here is having some fun with GBD and TVA on Pg. 38 of the presentation? Note the (white) material change on their respective Ardea and John Ross towers in the background of that rendering.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:50 PM

Staff Report, recommending approval, for Block 42 & 45

Drawings [115 MB] for Block 42.

Drawings [70 MB] for Block 45.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 6:59 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Staff Report, recommending approval, for Block 42 & 45

Drawings [115 MB] for Block 42.

Drawings [70 MB] for Block 45.
Blocks 42 & 45 were approved today.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 8:01 PM

Renderings [48 MB] for Blocks 42 & 45.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Renderings [48 MB] for Blocks 42 & 45.
That is a VERY attractive group of buildings! The one that looks like three interconnected large, red barns is super cool. It's sad that towers are gone from the plans for the area, but it's almost like it's returning to a more "Portland" built form.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
That is a VERY attractive group of buildings! The one that looks like three interconnected large, red barns is super cool. It's sad that towers are gone from the plans for the area, but it's almost like it's returning to a more "Portland" built form.
Very sad. Just a bunch of short stubby buildings now

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland