HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 4:26 PM

(Re: Block 45—I'm skeptical about architecture as metaphor at the best of times, but is there any actual history of ship building on or near Block 45?][/QUOTE]

Like the concept but it needs to be more literal. Nobody will get the metaphor as currently designed. First off the idea would have greater resonance if these structures were located on parcels closest to the river. On the plus side it does appears the architect is calling for a generous application of rusty metal, an essential visual and tactile component that everyone can relate to: who among us hasn't had a unfortunate experience with tetanus? However, they'll need to dispense with windows in order to fully convey the idea. Maybe a porthole here and there. An anchor or two laying about would also help.

To gain entry residents (and visitors) will need to holler for a deckhand, er... concierge, to heave down a rope ladder so they can clamber aboard. This might be cumbersome but minimizes the need for an expensive security system. Unless the perpetrator is handy with a blowtorch it will be nigh impossible to break into one of these units. Even then it would take some time and in the process attract lots of attention from nosey neighbors fortunate enough to live in non-metaphorical units with windows. My two cents.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 8:51 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Iron_Works
...in response to Maccoinnich's earlier comment to Zilfondel

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Iron_Works
...in response to Maccoinnich's earlier comment to Zilfondel
Thanks - I wasn't aware of that history.

From the DEQ site I found out the Prometheus property was formerly an asphalt factory, although I couldn't find the dates that was in operation.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 7:04 PM

Presentation [PDF - 175 MB] to the Design Commission about the future of South Waterfront.

I've been hearing rumors lately that REI wants to move out of the Pearl when their lease is up, as the space is too small for them. Based on a comments made at yesterday's presentation it sounds like they're interested in moving into the re-purposed Zidell barge building.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 7:56 PM

That would be awesome if REI came to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 8:52 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Presentation [PDF - 175 MB] to the Design Commission about the future of South Waterfront.

I've been hearing rumors lately that REI wants to move out of the Pearl when their lease is up, as the space is too small for them. Based on a comments made at yesterday's presentation it sounds like they're interested in moving into the re-purposed Zidell barge building.
That would suck to lose them in the Pearl, but it would be awesome to get an even larger REI in Portland....granted I typically just go to the one out in Clackamas, but still, that would be an awesome move.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:

Hope to see details on the bridge across the slipway. Looks promising.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:03 AM

Request for Response for Blocks 41 and 44.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 11:22 PM

Zidell will launch their last barge on Friday. (Paywall)

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...219&j=78376181

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Zidell will launch their last barge on Friday. (Paywall)

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...219&j=78376181
For those of us who don't have the paywall, any info on the time? I'd love to take my kid to go see it.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
For those of us who don't have the paywall, any info on the time? I'd love to take my kid to go see it.
"ZMC has lined up an array of officials for the Friday launch, which is planned for noon at the company's riverside operations in the South Waterfront. They include Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler and ZMC president Jay Zidell, as well as representatives from two other local marine service companies who will lease the last barge, Harley Marine and Petro Marine Services.
The event will include a ceremonial ship blessing, the traditional christening and the launch of the barge into the Willamette."

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...se-in-the.html

Last edited by PacificNW; Jun 14, 2017 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
"ZMC has lined up an array of officials for the Friday launch, which is planned for noon at the company's riverside operations in the South Waterfront. They include Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler and ZMC president Jay Zidell, as well as representatives from two other local marine service companies who will lease the last barge, Harley Marine and Petro Marine Services.
The event will include a ceremonial ship blessing, the traditional christening and the launch of the barge into the Willamette."

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...se-in-the.html

Thanks so much! I think we'll try to catch it. It should be interesting!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 1:51 PM

Two buildings planned for where the space where the lottery billboard is. 400 more apartments and 480 parking spots. I wonder if the extra parking is for retail?

"Design Advice has been requested by Alamo Manhattan for two buildings at 3714 SW Macadam Ave:
The projects are two separate mid-rise structures with a mixed-use program comprised of multi-family housing (approx. 200 units in each building), commercial and parking uses. Parking for approx. 240 cars will be provided in each garage structure."

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post
Two buildings planned for where the space where the lottery billboard is. 400 more apartments and 480 parking spots. I wonder if the extra parking is for retail?

"Design Advice has been requested by Alamo Manhattan for two buildings at 3714 SW Macadam Ave:
The projects are two separate mid-rise structures with a mixed-use program comprised of multi-family housing (approx. 200 units in each building), commercial and parking uses. Parking for approx. 240 cars will be provided in each garage structure."
It just got added to design commission agenda for July 13th.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 6:29 AM

Quote:
It just got added to design commission agenda for July 13th.
I'm worried about this one because it's an Alamo Manhattan project. They developed the Ella which looks ugly and out of place and I'm hoping something similar doesn't go on this site.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 7:54 PM

Notice of a Type IIx Proposal for subdividing the Prometheus Property.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 11:59 PM

The mediocrity of this area is astounding. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the cheap materials used on these low-rise buildings.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 8:05 PM

Notice of a Public Hearing for Blocks 41 and 44.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:31 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
The mediocrity of this area is astounding. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the cheap materials used on these low-rise buildings.
For example. Another angle.

How did something that awful happen? Were they going for a Soviet style here? Yikes. Is it as terrible on the inside as it is on the outside?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
For example. Another angle.

How did something that awful happen? Were they going for a Soviet style here? Yikes. Is it as terrible on the inside as it is on the outside?
The Matisse and The Ella are horrible looking buildings and I don't get how they made it through design review. The materials are cheap and drab and they don't contribute to the neighborhood through quality design like the glass towers built during the boom do.

However, can any of you name a better brownfield redevelopment than South Waterfront in similarly sized US city? Even cities a tier above PDX don't have anything like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland