HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
A health and wellness-oriented South Waterfront

With the Zidell master plan coming together, the plan for the South Waterfront District as a whole is coming to life.

Most recently, ZRZ Realty Company entered a partnership with Portland Parks & Recreation to create the open space parks, which is scheduled to be initiated by 2018.

With Zidell Yards's master plan moving forward with partnerships and green space plans, it's pushing along the master plan for the whole South Waterfront District, complete with new parks, retail and roads.

The 33-acre ZRZ property is the largest parcel of vacant, redevelopable land in Portland's City Center. The ZRZ plans include to add jobs, recreation, green space and housing, including 250 units of affordable housing in accordance with the city's recently passed Inclusionary Zoning policy.

In the South Waterfront District, all private developments must comply with the PDC's workforce and ethnicity requirements supporting tradespeople and businesses owned by women and people of color.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 1:39 AM

Pizzicato is "merging" with Lovejoy Bakers at their location in the South Waterfront. It looks like Lovejoy Bakers is going to become Lovejoy Express and will only serve breakfast sandwiches and coffee while Pizzicato will operate for the remainder of the day. It is unclear if Lovejoy Express will offer any lunchtime selections, which is a total bummer because their sandwiches are great and I'm not a fan of Pizzicato at all.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Every now and then, I have to remind myself of what it was like to wander through the Pearl in the late 90s. That image looks straight out of fantasy land... but I remember being on a date in the late 90s, walking through the Pearl. She was telling me about what the neighborhood was going to become in a decade, but I rolled my eyes because I saw what looked more like a war zone.

Anyway... I love this and I want it... but I'm not convinced it's even a little bit realistic. The pools, in particular, are never going to happen. Damn does that look cool, but let's be real. We get maybe three months of pool weather here? Sometimes less.
We have a similar new pool on in downtown Oslo and it is really popular and there is much less summer here than in Portland. Sørenga Sjøbad

credit Katrine Lunke

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Pizzicato is "merging" with Lovejoy Bakers at their location in the South Waterfront. It looks like Lovejoy Bakers is going to become Lovejoy Express and will only serve breakfast sandwiches and coffee while Pizzicato will operate for the remainder of the day. It is unclear if Lovejoy Express will offer any lunchtime selections, which is a total bummer because their sandwiches are great and I'm not a fan of Pizzicato at all.
In addition, we have Heart Pizza opening up in the Riva and Piazza Italia opening up in the old Groaning Board space (not 100% confirmed). There is about to be a lot of pizza in South Waterfront.

In other news, Stylefront is finally gone. I always wondered how that place stayed in business. Over the weekend someone told me that it is a Japanese retailer who wanted to have a presence in Portland. We are big in Japan.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 5:51 PM

Very cool - What a great way to activate the area and draw families during the summer. Would surely help local retail. As a parent I would feel much more comfortable with the kids swimming in an area protected from boaters.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 8:46 PM

From NextPortland.com

"Design Advice has been requested by GBD Architects for South Waterfront Blocks 42 and 45 on the Prometheus Property:

Design hearing – project consists of two seven story mixed use buildings, each building consisting of approximately 4,000 sf of retail, 200-300 market rate apartments and 150-200 off street parking stalls in one level of structured underground parking and a partial level of structures at-grade parking."

Looking at a map, blocks 42 and 45 are not on the river. They are one block removed from the river heading west. I thought that the short buildings (7 story) were going on the river (blocks 41 and 44) and the two, potentially taller, buildings would go on 42 and 45. Anyone have any other info?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post
From NextPortland.com

"Design Advice has been requested by GBD Architects for South Waterfront Blocks 42 and 45 on the Prometheus Property:

Design hearing – project consists of two seven story mixed use buildings, each building consisting of approximately 4,000 sf of retail, 200-300 market rate apartments and 150-200 off street parking stalls in one level of structured underground parking and a partial level of structures at-grade parking."

Looking at a map, blocks 42 and 45 are not on the river. They are one block removed from the river heading west. I thought that the short buildings (7 story) were going on the river (blocks 41 and 44) and the two, potentially taller, buildings would go on 42 and 45. Anyone have any other info?
That case is on the Design Commission agenda for May 18th. You could try emailing the planner to get a copy of the drawings.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 6:56 PM

After seeing some conflicting information, I reached out to GBD to see what they could tell me about blocks 41, 42, 44 and 45 (all owned by Prometheus). It turns out that all four blocks are planned for 7 story buildings. I had seen some renderings before that suggested higher buildings would go on 42 and 45 (phase 2) but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 7:21 PM

That's unfortunate. As someone who lives in the south waterfront, the plateau of buildings will not be aesthetically appealing. It is better than empty lots, however.

Last edited by Monsoonstorms; Apr 10, 2017 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 7:40 PM

As another resident of the South Waterfront, I look forward to engaging human-scale buildings that activate the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post
After seeing some conflicting information, I reached out to GBD to see what they could tell me about blocks 41, 42, 44 and 45 (all owned by Prometheus). It turns out that all four blocks are planned for 7 story buildings. I had seen some renderings before that suggested higher buildings would go on 42 and 45 (phase 2) but that doesn't seem to be the case now.
Man what happened to this district? I can understand SOME short buildings but damn how about once in a blue moon something over 20 stories? Smh

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:43 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Haha, I have those same bicycle entourage people at work.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:25 PM

Drawings [58 MB] for Blocks 42 and 45.

(Unless anyone objects, I think I'll merge this thread back into the main South Waterfront thread.)

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:28 PM

This would look great in..........Vancouver!

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 10:13 PM

Other than Massing, I have no idea what these buildings are going to look like. Didn't expect that in a DAR presentation.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:19 AM

Construction beginning on SW Bond

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 12:30 AM

Presentation Part 1 [45 MB], Part 2 [64 MB] and Part 3 [45 MB] for South Waterfront Blocks 42 and 45.

(Re: Block 45—I'm skeptical about architecture as metaphor at the best of times, but is there any actual history of ship building on or near Block 45?]

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 8:37 AM

At least it has a different form to it. I think block 45 is interesting!

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 2:48 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Presentation Part 1 [45 MB], Part 2 [64 MB] and Part 3 [45 MB] for South Waterfront Blocks 42 and 45.

(Re: Block 45—I'm skeptical about architecture as metaphor at the best of times, but is there any actual history of ship building on or near Block 45?]
Yes, South waterfront was used to build liberty ships during ww2. The riverbank had been full of steel and leftover debris from ww2 until they started calling it a few years ago.

Those photos are probably getting the site.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 3:46 PM

Are you sure about that? I know they dismantled ships on the zidell property after the war, but I can't find any reliable sources saying that there were ships built in south waterfront. The Kaiser shipyards were on Swan Island and in St Johns.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland