HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:34 PM

Happy New Year!

The pandemic has definitely slowed things down, but there have been several cool proposals in the last couple of weeks.

2958 Kennedy Blvd
28 floors, 303 feet, 322 residential units with the bottom 2 floors being retail/commercial. Happy to see that ugly site get redeveloped.
https://goo.gl/maps/C61w3GwVYr3uwKyN6

11-29 Cottage Street
A few doors down the street. 28 floors, 293 feet, 669 units and close to 50,000 sqft of office space. I have no idea if this one was previously announced as part of the Homestead extension. It would be kinda cool if this is in addition to the others.
https://goo.gl/maps/AgqgQmFZ2Gi7RSU46

417-427 Hoboken Avenue
Further down the block is a 27 floor, 293 feet, 584 unit building
https://goo.gl/maps/SLwCA22fLK4gxqVF8 (site might be a little off)

21-29 Van Reipen Avenue
Also another 27 floor, 293 feet, 612 unit building
https://goo.gl/maps/T5WaRyKviFkrWwUX7

It's very cool all these building will be within a 3 (?) minute walk of each other. So how many of the above are duplicates from this image below:

618 Pavonia is on the left, 26-28 Van Reipen is the center, 26 Cottage is on the right.

On first glance.... None of them! This is all new?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 4:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Cannnnnnnn yoooooooooou digggggg itt?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 5:58 PM

Just learned that there is a super long-term plan to extend the HBLR from Bayfront across the Hackensack River to Kearny and eventually to Newark Station. There would be two stops in the Ironbound. That would wonders for the interconnectivity of the region. Maybe the system should be remained HELR. It would also help relive pressure off PATH and maybe be a cheaper option for the NJ Transit rider because I think the transfer to HBLR would then be free. Duration from Newark Station to Exchange Place would be around 28 minutes, which is a little longer than the same route on PATH, but it may be faster if heading to Newport or Hoboken since it would eliminate the transfer.

When will this get built? Who knows, but it's a great idea IMO.

Last edited by C.; Jan 10, 2021 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:41 AM

From my 3D model. I have an future Jersey City animation coming soon on my youtube.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 9:13 PM
Everywhere all at once

Journal Square is the new black.

Seriously, in those renders just above, this bunch alone could be mistaken for the other new bunch in LIC, perhaps its antipode at the other end of the urban core.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 7:35 PM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Nice!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:47 PM

Shockingly big development near Bayside

80 Water Street and 244 Culver Street

55, 55, 38 and 30 story buildings. 3,046 units total. The tallest building is 575 feet and over 1000 units.

Phase 1: 30 story mixed-use building
Phase II: 38 and 55 story residential buildings
Phase III: 55 story mixed-use building

Looks like approval would be in connection of providing right-of-way for the HBLR expansion and other public benefits.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:09 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Nice video. But what's that horrid stacked atrocity at :28? Please tell me that's not real.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Nice video. But what's that horrid stacked atrocity at :28? Please tell me that's not real.
111 First Street by OMA

https://www.dezeen.com/2007/03/15/oma-in-jersey-city/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Shockingly big development near Bayside

80 Water Street and 244 Culver Street

55, 55, 38 and 30 story buildings. 3,046 units total. The tallest building is 575 feet and over 1000 units.

Phase 1: 30 story mixed-use building
Phase II: 38 and 55 story residential buildings
Phase III: 55 story mixed-use building

Looks like approval would be in connection of providing right-of-way for the HBLR expansion and other public benefits.
Wow, that's huge news. Will potentially transform the West Side of JC.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:32 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Just learned that there is a super long-term plan to extend the HBLR from Bayfront across the Hackensack River to Kearny and eventually to Newark Station. There would be two stops in the Ironbound. That would wonders for the interconnectivity of the region. Maybe the system should be remained HELR. It would also help relive pressure off PATH and maybe be a cheaper option for the NJ Transit rider because I think the transfer to HBLR would then be free. Duration from Newark Station to Exchange Place would be around 28 minutes, which is a little longer than the same route on PATH, but it may be faster if heading to Newport or Hoboken since it would eliminate the transfer.

When will this get built? Who knows, but it's a great idea IMO.
That's actually quite smart. The Jersey Central used to run more than a hundred passenger trains over that route, according to Wikipedia. The JC alignment through the Ironbound's been built over, but extending HBLR along Market Street in Newark over to Penn Station as a light metro seems like a good idea. Connecting it to the Newark Subway could also be in the cards!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:40 AM

I can't find the Bayfront area towers on Culver and Water Street anywhere else. Where did you find it C, and is it a realistic proposal for after the new connection to Bayfront is built? To think I was excited enough about the four towers being built in the current Park/Ride area across from the Light Rail Station at West Side Avenue after the plans can finally be formalized with New Jersey Transit for the development rights on the land. These four towers... if read right 30, 38, and two 55 story towers... WOW. What makes it likely something this scale can be built, if possible? I can see Journal Square area, but these are enormous for the West Side which isn't a central business area or directly located across Manhattan.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I can't find the Bayfront area towers on Culver and Water Street anywhere else. Where did you find it C, and is it a realistic proposal for after the new connection to Bayfront is built? To think I was excited enough about the four towers being built in the current Park/Ride area across from the Light Rail Station at West Side Avenue after the plans can finally be formalized with New Jersey Transit for the development rights on the land. These four towers... if read right 30, 38, and two 55 story towers... WOW. What makes it likely something this scale can be built, if possible? I can see Journal Square area, but these are enormous for the West Side which isn't a central business area or directly located across Manhattan.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jMW...BPBQYv-AB/view

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:29 AM

Even more incredible, these towers are being built as-of-right. All that's needed is final site plan approval. Here is the genius redevelopment plan that makes it all possible, the Route 440-Culver Redevelopment Plan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jMW...BPBQYv-AB/view

It calls for a maximum FAR density of 7.7 in the "high rise" zone. This can be exceed up to 120% more in a density for a "Bonus Provision for Creation of New Rights-of-Way" which this development is using.

Phase I: 45,000 sqft site area
Phase II: 174,000 sqft
Phase III: 142,000 sqft

Total 361,000 x 7.7 FAR = 2,779,000 x 1.20 = 3,335,640

So the redevelopment plan allows for between 2,779,000 and 3,335,640 sqft of development. From the development application, it shows

Phase I: 415,790 sqft
Phase II: 1,612,217 sqft
Phase III: 973,300 sqft

This totals 3,001,307, so I see how they get there on density. When it comes to height, I had a LOL moment. The maximum height for the high-rise district is 12 floors. But this height can be exceeded if using the bonus provision: "...any development project within the Area shall be permitted to exceed the maximum allowable building height for the applicable district by the exact number of stories and floor area, rounded to the nearest whole number, necessary to achieve the maximum allowable floor area build-out at a factor of 120% and/or to achieve the Open Space Bonus."

So apparently all that cumbersome text means that a 43 floor height increase from 12 floors to 55 floors is a-okay IF taking advantage of the open space/new rights-of-ways bonus. What a deal!

It's like how the redevelopment plan for 808 Pavonia allows unlimited density in theory, but you would never know that without closely reading the plan. The old Bayfront redevelopment use to be unlimited too since the maximum densities were suggestions and that market forces would determine the final heights of buildings, but that was way too flexible and the city amended the Bayfront plan and caped out at 8,000 units.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:51 AM

The retail in the two tower phase is going to be awesome...set at 131,000 square feet! Also, reading the heights the first one of those is 38 stories, just under 430 ft. The second one is 55 stories and actually TALLER than the massive 55 story tower in the third and last phase. I read it at 595ft... what a nice little skyline zone on the West Side! All because of the right of ways/open space bonus! Do you think there could be any others going over 12 stories since they reworked Bayfront and capped the residentials at 8,000 units? I think we might see a couple of 12 story ones in Bayfront from the renderings... there also will be in the area the 12 story Performing Arts Building in the NJCU development, two 12 story towers on Carbon Place and two more at the West Side Station development area.

Only disappointment is unlike Bayfront, no affordable apartments. Stinks... should have been like 25% especially because they are going so dense. The last one will be enormous getting in over 1,000 apartments. They couldn't do 250 affordables and then would still have 750 market rate units? I hope they get approvals but it's essential on such large scale projects especially a more mixed income sensibility permeate decisions to go forward.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
The retail in the two tower phase is going to be awesome...set at 131,000 square feet! Also, reading the heights the first one of those is 38 stories, just under 430 ft. The second one is 55 stories and actually TALLER than the massive 55 story tower in the third and last phase. I read it at 595ft... what a nice little skyline zone on the West Side! All because of the right of ways/open space bonus!
Yup, 595ft, missed that earlier.

Quote:
Do you think there could be any others going over 12 stories since they reworked Bayfront and capped the residentials at 8,000 units? I think we might see a couple of 12 story ones in Bayfront from the renderings... there also will be in the area the 12 story Performing Arts Building in the NJCU development, two 12 story towers on Carbon Place and two more at the West Side Station development area.
Absolutely, redevelopment plans are amended all the time. Write your city councilor and show up at public meetings to express our views known. Only people that show up are the NIMBYs. I wish that would change.

Quote:
Only disappointment is unlike Bayfront, no affordable apartments. Stinks... should have been like 25% especially because they are going so dense. The last one will be enormous getting in over 1,000 apartments. They couldn't do 250 affordables and then would still have 750 market rate units? I hope they get approvals but it's essential on such large scale projects especially a more mixed income sensibility permeate decisions to go forward.
What gets rewarded, get's done. Allow a bonus above all maximum allowing 3 market rate units in exchange for 1 affordable unit. We would have tens of thousands of affordable housing proposed all over the city overnight. However, the NIMBYs would complain about the parking, school capacity and other semi-legitimate items. I would argue affordable housing should trump all other minor inconveniences that come with the increase in density. The NIMBYs would prefer the homeless sleeping in the streets on the cold as long as they have free on-street parking.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:23 PM

Thanks C so much for your updates and perspectives... do you, in conclusion, think because the developers are willing to do the things required to greatly expand the density and scope of this project, the Planning Board will relatively soon okay this project? Going to absolutely be a game changer for the area if it does!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks C so much for your updates and perspectives... do you, in conclusion, think because the developers are willing to do the things required to greatly expand the density and scope of this project, the Planning Board will relatively soon okay this project? Going to absolutely be a game changer for the area if it does!
Hi citybooster, the development is being built as-of-right. The Planning Board can provide comments on the site plan and require modifications of how elements are situated, but for the most part they can't outright reject this application. Something in the ballpark of 3 million sqft of development is legally allowed to be built on this site.

Market conditions will ultimately determine when this gets built. We should get renderings in a couple months or so when it comes up for a public hearing.

It would be a fun exercise to take a neighborhood in Jersey City and calculate the maximum allowable density allowed under current zoning and the redevelopment plans. The lands owned by the Port Authority in Journal Square that the Port Authority plans to redevelop alone allows up to 9.6 million sqft of development under current zoning as part of the Journal Square Redevelopment plan. That's potentially several thousand more units.

I would not be surprised if Jersey City surpasses it's peak population of 316,000 set in the 1930s where family sizes were much larger.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:31 PM

I just wanted to share this friendly 8-storey building planned for Bergen Ave.

https://data.jerseycitynj.gov/api/da...ral_plans_pdf/

Can someone take a screenshot of the first page and post it?

Existing
---------
3 floors
33 feet
~6,000 sqft retail
~18,000 sqft office uses
0 parking

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7298...7i16384!8i8192

Proposed
---------
8 floors
92 feet
5,990 sqft retail
48,545 sqft residential for 50 units
0 parking
"historic" facade retained

There are a bunch of sites throughout Jersey City that would benefit from this type of intensification. That's 50 more homes where none existed before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations