HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 12:03 AM
Honored Member

DETROIT | Condon - Neighborhood views and everyone's favorite: abandonment!

While I don't think the neighborhood has an "official" name, I've seen this area called Condon, Chadsey-Condon, and Michigan-Junction. Regardless of what it is called, it is the epicenter of decay and abandonment in Southwest Detroit. You know all those pictures of empty fields and burned-out houses? Many of them were taken in this area. However, despite the stereotypical views, there is still a living neighborhood here. And while it seems as if the neighborhood bottomed-out in the early 90's, time will only tell if it will ever be truly viable again.

As of the last census, Condon had a population of 7,219 in 1.26 sq. mi. giving it a density of 5,729 ppsm. (In comparison the neighborhood to the south has a density of more than 10,000 ppsm.) In 2000, the neighborhood was about 50% Black, 28% Hispanic, 18% White, 2% Asian, and 2% Other. However, the hispanic population has increased significantly in the last eight years.

While the population declined by about 15% between 1990 and 2000, in recent years dozens of new affordable homes have been built all throughout the neighborhood. And with the influx of hispanic immigrants, it's possible that the neighborhood could actually see a rise in population by 2010.

In any case, much of the neighborhood has been lost over the decades and what's left isn't in the greatest shape. But enjoy (and keep in mind that this neighborhood is about as bad as it gets in Detroit.)

While this is often a common shot in many Detroit threads, it's actually not that common in the neighborhood:

This type of shot is more indicative of the neighborhood:

Granted, I understand why some people are fascinated with these shots:

Some people think the city's best bet is to turn the neighborhood into block after block of this:

But I think it's worth saving:

It may not have the biggest or grandest homes:

And there's plenty of this to go around:

But oh is their potential:

Some people are sticking it out:

Where others fled:

Some people are giving up:

Where others realized their dream:

Some people are keeping up:

Where others boarded up:

Sometimes you wonder who these homes were built for:

This neighborhood (like most older Detroit neighborhoods) has a beautiful collection of historic churches:

Gorgeous even on cloudy fall day:

These skelatal remains of former factories are a common sight throughout the core:

A neighborhood school:

There isn't much left of a business district:

But at least you can take karate lessons:

It wouldn't be nearly as depressing on a sunny summer day:

Though the sun did actually peak through a few times:

This style of housing is very common in the older areas of Detroit:

As is the smaller bungalow:

Before?:

After?:

I wonder if they have a permit:

Are you lonely?:

A sign of the growing hispanic influence:

This type of housing generally has two or three units:

It looks like two houses got stuck together:

A lot of people in Southwest Detroit have these fences around their lots:

I prefer brick:

A community parking lot?:

A lot of corner lots used to have these little carraige houses:

This is some of the newer housing that was built in the neighborhood:

It's very similar to the older housing:

Most of the newer housing has front-facing garages:

From some angles, it's not half-bad:

Though I still think the older stuff is more charming:

The only modern apartment building in the entire neighborhood:

A fitting style for the growing hispanic culture:

It's always good to see someone invest in a nice wood siding:

I'm sure they had good intentions:

I know you can't go too long without the abandonment:

More of the newer housing:

This is the only time I've ever seen a house between the freeway and the service drive:

Shotgun shacks aren't all that common in Detroit, but you'll find some in Southwest Detroit:

That blue is very eye-catching:

I'm not sure what this was originally, but I would love to turn it into some nice lofts:

It's never too early to get in on an up and coming neighborhood:

And remember, we'll keep a light on for you:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 12:17 AM
Eurosceptic

amazing tour, hudkina...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 12:26 AM

Damn.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 12:45 AM
International

Mexicans are the only hope for SW Detroit. I was reading about how they've revitalized long blighted/neglected sectors of that area and how there is 250,000+ of them there. In Southern California, we have many illegal and legal ones...what's the situation like there? Working class nature as well?

Anyways, killer pics of that Motown grit.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 12:53 AM
Honored Member

According to the last Census there was only about 50,000 hispanics living in Southwest Detroit. I tend to think the number is much higher, especially now. I wouldn't doubt that the number is really closer to 100,000 now. It's funny, because even though the neighborhood is supposedly 50% black, most of the people that I saw out and about were hispanic.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 4:02 AM

Excellent neighborhood tour.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 9:35 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

They are definitely more than 100,000 strong, and their local organizations esimate that, too.

One thing I will never apologize for is the horrible state of just about every commercial strip in the city. It's crazy, while the residential sections of these neighborhoods are bad, the commercial strips are almost always a thousand times more uninviting. I just don't get why they are the shape that their in given the fact that they are the first thing people see coming into the city. Taking a ride down much of Grand River is just downright depressing.

BTW, what's the name of the apartment tower? The southwest is one of the sides I'm most unfamiliar with, and that's true of a lot of Detroiters and why city government, since as long as I can remember, ignore it. But, in a way it's been a blessing, too, because it escaped a lot of the "urban renewal" that the city inflicted on other parts of the city.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 11:30 AM

fantastic tour. I think that area of Detroit has some potential.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 2:28 PM

Great tour. Wonder how much some of these homes are going for?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 5:30 PM

That one church with the two domed towers looks just like the Frauenkirche in Munich.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 8:28 PM
Honored Member

I would think depending on the condition they go anywhere from a few thousand to no more than $80,000.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
One thing I will never apologize for is the horrible state of just about every commercial strip in the city. It's crazy, while the residential sections of these neighborhoods are bad, the commercial strips are almost always a thousand times more uninviting. I just don't get why they are the shape that their in given the fact that they are the first thing people see coming into the city. Taking a ride down much of Grand River is just downright depressing.
Well, when you think of how much of a personal investment it is to run a business and then to establish in a society where you would probably get stripped of everything you bent over backwards for, it's not too difficult to understand why there are no business corridors in Detroit. The city can't support them. By that I mean, try calling the cops. Maybe they will come, maybe they won't. There is too much of a negative demographic that has access to inner city businesses.

That's not to say it can never work. This mentioning of SW Detroit is a perfect example. However, I'm sure there is a bit more blood and sweat in sustaining SW Detroit business than the typical business district.

People in the suburbs have to drive to where the market is and people in the dense, urban city have to drive to where the market is. That's just how Detroit has consciously chosen to develop itself. Surely, there were unintended consequences along the way, but as the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Now, the entire region is one of th most unappealing places to live on the planet...so says Congress if they consciously do not support the nuclei of American manufacturing.

Thanks for the pics, hudinka. I don't think I ever heard this area called that before.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 2:10 AM
Honored Member

Man, Michi, Detroit has turned you into the bitterest man alive!

I know, I'm sure nobody says "I'm from Condon." A few years ago, the planning department divided the city into ten clusters and each cluster into like six or seven neighborhoods. They called this area Condon.

Here is their development plan for the area.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 5:36 AM
Closed account

this neighborhood is nearly identical to eastern kansas city. architecturally, kansas city seems to be detroits little brother.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 5:46 AM

I'm happy to see some new infill, but this is definitely not the type of development Detroit needs now.

I'm working on a project in NW Detroit and I can only hope the city puts a temporary moratorium on new housing development construction (not individual home construction) in Detroit. It's reckless development that will be scrapped and burned within a few years. Preservation of existing housing should be encouraged, especially with a surplus of excellent homes recently in foreclosure. Building new homes at this time is simply idiotic, yet developers continue to try in the worst areas of the city. (Except for the area in this tour)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Well, when you think of how much of a personal investment it is to run a business and then to establish in a society where you would probably get stripped of everything you bent over backwards for, it's not too difficult to understand why there are no business corridors in Detroit. The city can't support them. By that I mean, try calling the cops. Maybe they will come, maybe they won't. There is too much of a negative demographic that has access to inner city businesses.

That's not to say it can never work. This mentioning of SW Detroit is a perfect example. However, I'm sure there is a bit more blood and sweat in sustaining SW Detroit business than the typical business district.

People in the suburbs have to drive to where the market is and people in the dense, urban city have to drive to where the market is. That's just how Detroit has consciously chosen to develop itself. Surely, there were unintended consequences along the way, but as the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Now, the entire region is one of th most unappealing places to live on the planet...so says Congress if they consciously do not support the nuclei of American manufacturing.

Thanks for the pics, hudinka. I don't think I ever heard this area called that before.
You know that you don't have to tell me the reasons, Eric. It certainly doesn't make it any less depressing knowing the reason, though.

Your argument, though, explains why business can't come back now. The explanation to how these commercial strips got to the point that they are, today, is a much different and just as maddening one (more maddening depending on what side of the debate you're on).

Still, you must admit that it's shocking (no matter how long one's lived there) to drive through palacial, tree-lined neighborhoods and then instantly come out onto a crazy-dilapidated commercial strip. And, even the more modest neighborhoods exhibit this. Take 6 or 7 Mile from end to end and you wonder why there is anyone even left.

All that said, I can't see how this won't begin to seriously change once we see light rail down Woodward and even the BRT up the other spokes for the time being. And, this is not to imply that none of the spokes have any healthy areas along them. But, all-in-all they are pitiful and embarrassing.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I'm happy to see some new infill, but this is definitely not the type of development Detroit needs now.

I'm working on a project in NW Detroit and I can only hope the city puts a temporary moratorium on new housing development construction (not individual home construction) in Detroit. It's reckless development that will be scrapped and burned within a few years. Preservation of existing housing should be encouraged, especially with a surplus of excellent homes recently in foreclosure. Building new homes at this time is simply idiotic, yet developers continue to try in the worst areas of the city. (Except for the area in this tour)
I'm not really sure I agree. I'm not a big fan of much of the infill, but I think people may be talking up to highly Detroit's existing infrastructure. Quite frankly, a lot of the 'historic' housing in the city (particularly outside Grand) isn't all that old and isn't much different than what is being built, today. A lot of Detroit is shoddy tract-housing, and what makes it even worse is that unlike the shoddy tract housing of today, they didn't even try to be energy efficient. It's be different if the city was targeting bringing down solid brick-faced homes, but a lot of what the city is losing it, quite frankly, needs to lose. In away, it's a blessing that the frame housing on the lower eastside didn't survive.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 7:19 AM

I'm not really thinking about the housing on the East side, rather most of the Northern and western parts. There is TONS of empty houses. Thousands that have been recently vacant and are in superb condition. Focus should be on preparing these structures for new ownership or rehabilitating others that may have been abandoned but are still in good condition. Many of these were constructed after the 1940's and are still solid.

What is happening though, is I'm seeing odd vinyl sided homes pop up in the middle of a devastated area. They suck up 2 lots because land is so readily available. These areas were abandoned for a reason, and yet new homes are being built only to become empty within a few years, or sit there unsold. It's extremely wasteful.

As I said, I'm in full support for construction of individual homes by individual people. However, I'd like a temporary ban put on construction of large housing developments in the middle of the city's urban prairies. It's wasteful and bad planning practice in this economy and Detroit's character of decline.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 7:19 AM
Honored Member

I think there is a lot of charm in the older woodframe housing. The problem isn't that it's shoddy, but rather that it hasn't been properly maintained since it was constructed. In fact, I'd say the fact that so many homes are still standing even after 80+ years speaks for the craftsmanship.

For example, these houses are all on the same block:

The first two look crappy as hell and under that condition probably wouldn't be missed by too many people. The last two look really good.

BTW, I think a lot of those newer houses aren't empty.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 7:26 AM

Exactly ^

And this is what my graduate planning project is all about, maintaining vacant property before it falls into this state. It's unbelievable how fast properties are becoming vacant. We've documented every single vacant property in Northwest Detroit and mapped them, and even in the nice areas, entire blocks are filling up with abandoned homes, yet you would never know a problem existed until 3 years down the road when scrappers break in and destroy everything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos