HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:34 PM

Par for the course: sea can walkway installed around two weeks ago, and it's still not open to pedestrians. Fortress can even find a way to delay the use of a pre-fab/virtually ready-to-use structure.

I've watched these get dropped off a truck, connected, bit of carpentry done, and open to the public in under an hour in other cities. 1-2days from arrival on-site, to opening is typical.

It's not rocket science.

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if blind, drunk monkeys could get this job done more quickly (and better) than the clowns involved to date.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:00 PM

This is just getting completely stupid. The city needs to refuse their next permit after this one expires and fill that hole in.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 6:37 PM

Does anyone know what is happening on site today? There has been a mobile crane on Albert Street, and I saw three empty flat-bed semi's, also on Albert. They were either unloading something (tower crane? haha), or maybe they are loading something (construction equipment?) from the hole. I could not tell what was going on as I drove past. It's either good news ...or very bad.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
This is just getting completely stupid. The city needs to refuse their next permit after this one expires and fill that hole in.
The Hill family should take over this site.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Does anyone know what is happening on site today? There has been a mobile crane on Albert Street, and I saw three empty flat-bed semi's, also on Albert. They were either unloading something (tower crane? haha), or maybe they are loading something (construction equipment?) from the hole. I could not tell what was going on as I drove past. It's either good news ...or very bad.
They were taking equipment away. This project is pretty much dead.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
The Hill family should take over this site.
And do what exactly? We need less Hill family influence, not more.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
And do what exactly? We need less Hill family influence, not more.
I agree, we need other companies taking pieces of the Regina development pie. Competition is always good.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
not true at all deposits are returned within days thank you
I sure would like to see some verification of this. Especially since some posers on here where stating close to 50% sold in the early years of this project. Would be interesting to know what the real number of sales are now!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:00 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
They were taking equipment away. This project is pretty much dead.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 11:36 AM

It was the constant bickering of when the crane was to go up several false starts people got sick of it I don't imagine there are any deposits left it was the CRANE that never was and never will be

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:16 PM
I am the law!

Probably still a chance Fortress could be swapping out this inept contractor with someone better. Let's face it. The shoring and excavation was sloooow goings right from Day 1.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 2:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Probably still a chance Fortress could be swapping out this inept contractor with someone better. Let's face it. The shoring and excavation was sloooow goings right from Day 1.
Let's not forget the less-than-ideal weather the city has had for the past year.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Let's not forget the less-than-ideal weather the city has had for the past year.
I know right? All that blue sky and no rain. How can anyone work in these conditions? What a terrible organization. How can you bungle things so badly.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 2:54 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Not my point. All developers partake in damage control. They are just marketers in their simplest form. In any case, I'm not commenting on Fortress amateurish and long lead up to the ground breaking. My point is that they did manage to hiring a contractor and get shovels in the ground. At that point, the contractor has more control with the onsite operations

I don't expect this to resume. I'm just saying the contractor and their hires have done a poor enough job to be released and replaced. There's still a chance.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:55 PM

So since I think we can all agree a condo building is never going to get built there, let's look at options for what to do with this hole.

Apart from the joke ideas of it becoming Regina's new swimming pool, in all seriousness, could it not be a pretty cool underground store? No above ground building is needed, just a fancy looking "entryway" at ground level. With the hole already dug and the supports already in place, all that's needed is the concrete to be poured, mechanicals installed and start looking for lessees. It could be a pretty cost effective solution for a company who buys the property from Fortress.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Not my point. All developers partake in damage control. They are just marketers in their simplest form. In any case, I'm not commenting on Fortress amateurish and long lead up to the ground breaking. My point is that they did manage to hiring a contractor and get shovels in the ground. At that point, the contractor has more control with the onsite operations

I don't expect this to resume. I'm just saying the contractor and their hires have done a poor enough job to be released and replaced. There's still a chance.
Yeah... I'd bet money that the contractor was not released by Fortress. I think putting this rotting woodchuck at the feet of the contractors is a massive leap. A much easier leap is to look at who is holding the purse strings.

If I were a contractor - unless I was completely inept, or unaware of this project's sketchy track record (Double Star Drilling isn't exactly a fly-by-night or new organization) - I'd be asking for cash on very short milestones. Miss a payment, I pull my guys & equipment... and make sure every reputable contractor in town knows about you. Which they do.

Zero chance a big firm with a reputation to protect (e.g.: PCL; Graham; or Ledcor) attaches their name to this project - the developer owns this debacle, not the contractor.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
So since I think we can all agree a condo building is never going to get built there, let's look at options for what to do with this hole.

Apart from the joke ideas of it becoming Regina's new swimming pool, in all seriousness, could it not be a pretty cool underground store? No above ground building is needed, just a fancy looking "entryway" at ground level. With the hole already dug and the supports already in place, all that's needed is the concrete to be poured, mechanicals installed and start looking for lessees. It could be a pretty cost effective solution for a company who buys the property from Fortress.

Underground Sobey's or Save On? With Fountain with seating and evening LED lighting displays.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Yeah... I'd bet money that the contractor was not released by Fortress. I think putting this rotting woodchuck at the feet of the contractors is a massive leap. A much easier leap is to look at who is holding the purse strings.

If I were a contractor - unless I was completely inept, or unaware of this project's sketchy track record (Double Star Drilling isn't exactly a fly-by-night or new organization) - I'd be asking for cash on very short milestones. Miss a payment, I pull my guys & equipment... and make sure every reputable contractor in town knows about you. Which they do.

Zero chance a big firm with a reputation to protect (e.g.: PCL; Graham; or Ledcor) attaches their name to this project - the developer owns this debacle, not the contractor.
Exactly. This is 100% the developers fault and has nothing to do with the contractor. If it was a contractor issue, they would have been replaced months ago.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 10:25 PM

Brainstorming random ideas.

The acoustics down there would make it a cool concert spot. A couple levels of balconies and a common area on the bottom floor with a stage area. Terrible plan from a profit standpoint though as I have no idea how it would make enough to stay in business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan