HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 2:27 AM

What? Nobody has mentioned the TRUMP tower yet???

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Other than the two geriatrics from BC who are bitter about getting priced out of the market, almost everyone else is like buy buy buy lol.
Im opting to rent a cheap shared accommodation and invest the difference in the market. The stock market will always outperform the real estate market long term. I may regret posting this, of course, if I end up getting my liscenced with TREB.

Tbh Debt financed housing is a crappy investment.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 6:36 PM

I know these aren't condos, but saw a couple of listings, one near Main st TTC and one near The Beaches... are these good deals?

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...iffe-Cliffside

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...-Crescent-Town

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlepuppies View Post
I know these aren't condos, but saw a couple of listings, one near Main st TTC and one near The Beaches... are these good deals?

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...iffe-Cliffside

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...-Crescent-Town

The one "Near" The beaches is not near the beaches, well I suppose by car it is. Very small but in a pretty decent pocket of western Scarborough. The other personally is in a section of the city that is soul sucking and without character. The small Scarborough looks nice but it's a shame they invested so much on it as it would be a great location for a tear down. Personally I'd take the Scarborough one over the Danforth one.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Mar 8, 2016 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 8:51 PM
I am the law!

I don't really like either of them. One has decent transit and is neighboring the extensive ravine systems but is across the street from run of the mill highrise apartments. It is a dud of a neighborhood never quite achieving its potential. Huge Middle Eastern population. 57 Valhalla is in a pocket that is downright booming but it's disconnected from the city with poor transit options. It's easily priced $100,000 below market value. Whiter than white.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 2:39 PM

Yeah, Main St is about one TTC stop further east of the area I'd prefer. To buy a house for me would be purely an investment scenario. Prefer condo living any day, just that it makes no sense for an average Toronto condo to be over 1/2 the cost of a house.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Main St is about one TTC stop further east of the area I'd prefer. To buy a house for me would be purely an investment scenario. Prefer condo living any day, just that it makes no sense for an average Toronto condo to be over 1/2 the cost of a house.
I live 45 seconds from the Main station entrance. Very convenient and only 20 min subway ride from Yonge and Bloor. The area is a little sketchy but I feel like it's going to intensify a lot in the next few years, similar to danforth/woodbine with midrise condo development. The only thing it's missing is a no frills. Theres one at VP/St Clair but it's a bit of a walk without a ttc pass.

If I were to buy a house I'd try to snatch somthing up on Keystone or Oakcrest Ave. It's between Woodbine and Main just south of the Danforth, but very pretty looking in the spring/summer.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:20 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Plenty of sizable condos can be had for about 200k or less in Toronto. A house of equal size will run you close to 600K just about anywhere. The condo, however, is not an investment opportunity. The house certainly is.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:18 PM

Yeah, if those condos are deep in Scarborough or Markham. For me, the point of living in a condo would be to live urbanely and without a car, which means the location has to be relatively central and walking distance to a subway station. Currently it seems like nothing newish that fits the criteria can be had for less than $350K (unless it's a 400sf "jr" one bedroom)

Yaletown, this one looks like a good deal:
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...t-End-Danforth

A lot can be done with a 45' lot on a lush street 5 min from woodbine station!

Also what are thoughts on buying in Regent Park? That area seems to be the only part of downtown with relatively good deals, such as $430K for a 830sf 2-bed corner unit:
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...M3-Regent-Park

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:40 PM
I am the law!

Of course, you are going to pay a premium for new. You don't have to go to the depths of Scarborough to find affordable condos. There are condos within spitting distance of that Main Street house. Markham? I say good luck.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:42 PM

Built after 2000 is good enough for me. I mean "newish" in terms of no parquet floors or special assessments overdue lol.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:51 PM
I am the law!

Well, you're going to a premium and you don't want to be an owner when newish turns into older. Special assessments can hit anyone.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Yaletown, this one looks like a good deal:
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...t-End-Danforth
That is a pretty good deal, if you can afford it. At a glance, the propinquity of the train tracks seems the only major caveat.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:50 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

$750,000 for a bungalow in East York beside the train tracks is considered a good deal? Pretty dire...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 9:57 PM

The train tracks do hurt it, but I guess I'm comparing it to the 1 million bungalows in far less green and unwalkable areas of North York, or the $350K one-bedroom condos at Don Mills/Lawrence, etc

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
$750,000 for a bungalow in East York beside the train tracks is considered a good deal? Pretty dire...
In Toronto, I reckon yes. The leafy dead-end street and adjacent park are major assets; the nearby tracks are a major liability.
Here in Armour Heights, houses 100-200 ft from the 401 go for $1.5 million. Granted, they are larger.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 2:09 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Still, unless things have changed dramatically in the past couple months, you can still find small bungalows and run-down semis in that area in the $400,000-500,000 range. I was actually just looking at a nicely renovated 3-bedroom semi just on the other side of Woobine there for $499,000 a couple weeks ago.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 2:21 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Young architect in his 20's here looking to buy in Toronto... hoping to to drop 20% down on a 700-800sf place when the bubble bursts. Unfortunately I find very few buildings and locations appealing. If Brant Park or Rivercity 1 or 3 (not 2) were located around Allan Gardens or Cabbagetown, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Any recommendations based on this "ideal" scenario above? I'm a fan of floor-to-ceiling glass w/o horizontal mullions, huge hater of spandrel. Hater of boxes dressed up in wavy balconies (ie Stanley/1 Bloor/Wellesley on park/etc). Preference towards angular "masculine" designs. No thin wrap-around balconies. Love large terraces and greenery, particularly water features.
You might like the Merchandise Building down near Ryerson just east of Church. It used to be the old Sears warehouse. No floor to ceiling glass but it's a great building. My architect friend lives in there.

Btw, go for quality over shiny objects. A general rule of thumb (but not always true) is that buildings built before 1990 were built solidly using quality materials. They may not appeal to 20something tastes but you get far more condo for your money. Those all glass condo buildings: 90% of them are utter garbage and start falling apart as soon as they put them up.

Another issue a 1st time home buyer might not consider. All glass is boiling hot like a greenhouse in summer, and hard to heat in the winter. A lot of them leak too so when its raining prepare for a puddles on your living room floor. Like I said, beware of shiny objects. You want something built well first, aesthetics should come second to that ALWAYS!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 2:46 PM
I am the law!

Lot of accusations there. Anything to support them?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:09 PM

Architects love lofts lol and I can get a little bit more square footage for the money compared to a condo, but it'd be a 800sf bowling alley due to the large floorplate. I want a corner unit.

I currently live in an older highrise with an all-glass south-facing façade, but never have trouble with heat because the windows are shaded by the balcony above. My own balcony is like a large light shelf that reflects sunlight into the ceiling inside my unit, and it's wonderful.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for heating in winter.

Aww why did my thread get moved? Even Torontonians don't frequent this section! =(

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto