HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
I am one that will submit a proposal of a new north temple viaduct. It will be shorter, its what the city wants. And it will have to be rebuilt, that has been confirmed.

It will be the North transfer point for commuter rail, a northern hub, while the Intermodal Hub is the southern one for Utah county trains. We are designing it so that it will be a cultural hub and a new gateway for Salt Lake. A civic and cultural space to enjoy.

It will also start closing the divide between east and west. Pedestrian and bicycle on top, and the commuter space below. We also want a structure under the bridge as well, with things there so it will begin to pay for itself.

Just a bit of what we are doing, im not sure how much I should tell of what we are doing. But I might reveal more later. If you have any comments just tell me, we are looking for more ideas, or things you think that it needs.
Stevena07- I like the sound of your proposal! Do you anticipate that any of the structures beneath the bridge would be an actual station for commuter rail? This area is quickly becoming part of the Gateway development itself- its nice to hear someone will be submitting a proposal that will maximize the full potential of this site.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 5:44 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Does anyone else feel that Boyer totally missed the boat on Gateway and commuter rail? Can you imaging the amount of foot traffic if Boyer would have utilized the UP depot as a commuter rail station? They could have kept the UP depot as a train depot with light rail out the front door. They could have brought the trains in underneath the development just like most other large cities do, and taken advantage of a amazing structure in the UP depot. Image if Gateway had 10,000 additional people coming through it each day.

Boyer really missed a fantastic opportunity on this one.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 5:55 AM

You know, to me, you guys kill the gateway a little more each day!!!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Can you imaging the amount of foot traffic if Boyer would have utilized the UP depot as a commuter rail station? They could have kept the UP depot as a train depot with light rail out the front door. They could have brought the trains in underneath the development just like most other large cities do, and taken advantage of a amazing structure in the UP depot.
Future Mayor I agree with you- having commuter rail arrive at a real train station would be like a dream. Frankly I'm quite jealous of Denver's Union Station plan (Check it out on their thread if you haven't yet, its awesome!) But to make something similar work in SLC would require having the rails below grade like you said. 500 West is certainly wide enough to accommodate subterranean rail lines and is well aligned with existing track to the North and South. The Union Pacific building is a little bit East for a direct connection with that alignment, but not the Rio Grande with its back door on 500 West. The problem is cash. Building any sort of transit system above or below grade would probably double, even triple the cost. I believe there are also issues with a high water table in that neighborhood- another barrier to such a project. Realistically the land value/density in that area just doesn't warrant track below grade, or thats where it would be! However; I still think a transfer station on North Temple at 500 West will still provide plenty of foot traffic to The Gateway- which is quickly expanding in that direction. Isn't a Hyatt planned for the Northern end??

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:53 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSaltlake View Post
You know, to me, you guys kill the gateway a little more each day!!!
I'm not sure I follow what you mean by this comment.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
Stevena07- I like the sound of your proposal! Do you anticipate that any of the structures beneath the bridge would be an actual station for commuter rail? This area is quickly becoming part of the Gateway development itself- its nice to hear someone will be submitting a proposal that will maximize the full potential of this site.
This will mostly be a transfer point, but there will probably be some type of a station under the bridge. The platform will have to expand to the north and barely under that bridge, because the tracks turn a bit west by the Gateway.

It will be nothing like the Gateway, and no, we don't have any stucco. It will tie in to Salt Lake's past and culture.

Quote:
Does anyone else feel that Boyer totally missed the boat on Gateway and commuter rail? Can you imaging the amount of foot traffic if Boyer would have utilized the UP depot as a commuter rail station? They could have kept the UP depot as a train depot with light rail out the front door. They could have brought the trains in underneath the development just like most other large cities do, and taken advantage of a amazing structure in the UP depot. Image if Gateway had 10,000 additional people coming through it each day.

Boyer really missed a fantastic opportunity on this one.
The plans were at first to have the Union Pacific as the hub. That's why the Trax stopped out front, but Boyer pulled some strings. Deedee Corradini gave Boyer the chance to do this, on purpose, because they wanted the Gateway there instead! I think Boyer didn't want all of the tracks so close.

The Union Pacific Station would have made a fine hub. Well at least they didn't put stucco all over it

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 3:43 AM

Wave of the future: Electrifying Tranformations

Hybrid Technologies, This company takes cars people already love and electrifies them.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...topart=hybrids

Walk into a Wal-Mart in the not-too-distant future and among the thousands of products for sale will be an electric car. It will not be a remote control car, a golf cart or a little scooter to help granny cruise the aisles. The battery-powered automobile will look every bit like a MINI Cooper. This is because it will be a MINI Cooper, just with a powerful electric motor under the hood and a stack of lithium batteries where the gas tank used to be.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 10:08 PM
Honored Member

Question But would the same rules apply in elite neighborhoods....

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Wave of the future: Electrifying Tranformations

Hybrid Technologies, This company takes cars people already love and electrifies them.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...topart=hybrids

Walk into a Wal-Mart in the not-too-distant future and among the thousands of products for sale will be an electric car. It will not be a remote control car, a golf cart or a little scooter to help granny cruise the aisles. The battery-powered automobile will look every bit like a MINI Cooper. This is because it will be a MINI Cooper, just with a powerful electric motor under the hood and a stack of lithium batteries where the gas tank used to be.

Hey Delts,

I saw this too. I wondered if for the elite neighborhoods, with the designer Wally's, if this would be an acceptable product or not? Would Alpine require a City Council meeting to see if it met the general theme or code of the city?

Shopping for cars at Wally's. Where's the OB ward? Might as well have kids there next so people can have more "quality time" in Wallys.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 11:37 PM

Hey N2IF, I just hope that this is the type of technology that advances quickly and becomes more mainstream affordable. I would much rather have my car that is paid for converted to electric for a 'reasonable' price. Better than going out and buying something new, that is not that great of an improvement over what I'm driving.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 1:31 PM

Aptera: The 'Wingless Bird' A California startup says its airplane-inspired vehicle can deliver 300 mpg for under $30,000.

Slated for initial production in late 2008, the Aptera will come in all-electric and plug-in hybrid models. Its name means "wingless" in Greek, and the Aptera's body materials and aerodynamics are borrowed from light aircraft.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/landi...=331&GT1=10655

Hmmmm, definately an interesting possibility. I think I would rather take a conventional top-of-the-line Mercedes, BMW, or Jag that say is around the year 2001, or even a 90's model. You can find them by the hundred's on cars.com. Often, they're in pristine condition, and a small fraction of their original price. I would have something like that converted, and still have all the style, and bells and whistles.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 1:39 PM

UTA is moving forward with rail / Designers, consultants gather for $2.5 Billion project.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...238546,00.html

Brian Nicholson, Deseret Morning News. G.J. LaBonty will soon have as many as 240 co-workers at UTA's new offices.

Four new TRAX lines are planned to Draper, South Jordan, West Valley and the Salt Lake City International Airport. a commuter rail extension is planned from Salt Lake City to Provo.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 4:27 PM

UTA's new downtown offices?

Quote:
UTA is moving forward with rail / Designers, consultants gather for $2.5 Billion project.

Brian Nicholson, Deseret Morning News. G.J. LaBonty will soon have as many as 240 co-workers at UTA's new offices.

Four new TRAX lines are planned to Draper, South Jordan, West Valley and the Salt Lake City International Airport. a commuter rail extension is planned from Salt Lake City to Provo.

Where is there new office location in downtown slc? I thought they were going to renovate that old building to the north of the intermodal hub?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 4:29 PM

UTA's new downtown offices?

Quote:

Where is there new office location in downtown slc? I thought they were going to renovate that old building to the north of the intermodal hub?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:05 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Does anyone else feel that Boyer totally missed the boat on Gateway and commuter rail?
Back when they were talking about The Gateway around 1998 - I imagined an indoor mall (not knowing what the mall would be like), with some sort of glass tube with trains running through the project and a station indoors in the middle of the mall.

It would've been awesome. Personally, I'd love to see them try to retrofit it into the Gateway, but it ain't gonna happen.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:22 PM

Many would have a fit if Gateway were to become an enclosed Mall, but I get your drift about TRAX, etc. Although, in the near future, Gateway will have expanded to envelop TRAX and the new Intermodel Center anyway. All of 3,4,5 and 600 West, from No. Temple to 400 South will have become a mixed-use retail/residential/commercial district. It's going to all be just one big 'Gateway District' anyway.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:49 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Delts, I think you hit the nail right on the head, that entire area will soon be a part of Gateway. It seems as if you have mixed feeling about it, I look at the are as not being part of The Gateway Mall, but part of The Gateway District.

The Gateway District, due to it's proximity to SL Central Station will become a living breathing neighborhood in the city. I think the other property owners and developers will latch onto the success of Gateway and will expand that neighborhood to its full potential. I think the look of development will differ with each developer.

I'm excited to see what The Gateway District looks like in 15-20 years(when I'm mayor) lol I think "The Gateway" will be just a component of the overall neighborhood by that point.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 7:12 PM

Hey Future Mayor, No, I don't want to leave the impression that I have mixed feelings about Gateway's direction. I didn't want 215 to think I was in any way being critical. I am definately very excited about the future of the Gateway District. Sure, I would like to go into the Gateway, Main Street and clean up some of the stucco where it's too prevalent, but other than that I am a big proponent of Gateway.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 3:36 AM
Exit 298

Nah, I didn't think you were being critical.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:

Many would have a fit if Gateway were to become an enclosed Mall, but I get your drift about TRAX, etc. Although, in the near future, Gateway will have expanded to envelop TRAX and the new Intermodel Center anyway. All of 3,4,5 and 600 West, from No. Temple to 400 South will have become a mixed-use retail/residential/commercial district. It's going to all be just one big 'Gateway District' anyway.
I think it's already happening and it'll be a nice change for the area. I think it'll help to extend the boundrys of downtown.
I saw something about a mega multi use development in the middle east, currently under construction. I can't remember what it's called but I think it would have about 80 stories of condominiums, a huge mall, an intermodal hub and alot of hotels as well. I thought it was really an awsome concept. I think it would be nice to have something like that but on a smaller scale on top of "SLC Grand Central".

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:24 PM

Transportation's Green Machines

Detroit Auto Show

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/landi...=337&GT1=10761

Fisker Karma
Not only a premium sport sedan but also a green vehicle, the Fisker Karma is scheduled to go on sale in the fourth quarter of 2009 at a starting price of $80,000.

The Fisker Karma brings hybrids upscale in a sleek sport sedan.

Honda Achieves Clarity
Honda enhances its green image with a fuel-cell production car.

Honda... Surprisingly, we didn't get much attention when driving the FCX Clarity out on the public roads.

General Motors has announced plans to build a production version of Volt plug-in hybrid concept.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West