HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
There are alot of posters here that purposely post material that they hope will cause controversy, put people down, put down projects & put down San Antonio. I'm glad they are deleted. I actually would like to see more of those type of posts deleted. & if some of my post are deleted calling those people out, so be it.
I think you're wrong. Censoring criticism has a worse effect than having open discussion. I can't think of any posts that I thought were created to purposely cause controversy, can you provide an example?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
There are alot of posters here that purposely post material that they hope will cause controversy, put people down, put down projects & put down San Antonio. I'm glad they are deleted. I actually would like to see more of those type of posts deleted. & if some of my post are deleted calling those people out, so be it.
I saw nothing wrong with maxus' photoshop on how an actual rendering would look like with brown utility poles in front of the Jefferson Bank HQ. That is what the topic is about, the Jefferson Bank HQ. It gives us an example of what a, in my opinion, a well designed building would look like if God forbid that those utility posts were left in front of the building like how they were left in previous completed construction jobs. I personally never noticed those utility posts until he brought it up, and I'm glad he did.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 8:51 PM

Quote:

What exactly is wrong with this? Why are people not allowed to put down projects or put down a city, if they so feel? Is this North Korea? only praise is allowed?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
What exactly is wrong with this? Why are people not allowed to put down projects or put down a city, if they so feel? Is this North Korea? only praise is allowed?
It's ok not like developments of course, there is a respectful way to convey that, but to put down people & projects just for the sake of causing controversy & being "that guy" that not cool at all.

Anyway everyone, I'm pretty much over all this, so you all can have at it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:44 PM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
maxus, you were right. You proved it. Thank you for doing so with facts and in a respectful manner. I apologize on behalf of those who jumped on you.

Let's keep this forum civil and inviting for everyone to state their opinions. Please. That way it will continue to be a place to learn and discuss, as it should be.
Thank you J. For the record, the initial pic of the rendered poles was an obvious facetious response. That was a 3 minute photoshop response. Let's see someone else mock up that quickly.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 9:02 PM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
It's very expensive to bury power lines, even as part of new construction, and even more expensive to bury them retroactively.

Don't expect to see power lines and poles disappear anytime soon.

Let me express apologies to Maxus on behalf of this site. There are some on this site that are simply intolerant to any whisper of a critique of anything going on in San Antonio.
Thank you, Restless. we've lived with the poles for over 100 years already.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 9:11 PM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
You came up with the win today, sir. Well done and appreciate the examples. Never really paid attentions to the power/telephone lines in front of the buildings till now. Wow, what an eye sore...
Thank you, PD. I've lived and watched all this development for years. It's pretty sad to see how progress is scarred by this ugliness. As far as this development, the poles will stick around somewhere adjacent to the building.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
I saw nothing wrong with maxus' photoshop on how an actual rendering would look like with brown utility poles in front of the Jefferson Bank HQ. That is what the topic is about, the Jefferson Bank HQ. It gives us an example of what a, in my opinion, a well designed building would look like if God forbid that those utility posts were left in front of the building like how they were left in previous completed construction jobs. I personally never noticed those utility posts until he brought it up, and I'm glad he did.
There is absolutely no basis for those renderings. There are no power poles along Broadway in front of The 1800, Credit Human, or the Mosaic. The have either buried the lines or moved them to a side street.

I HATE utility poles but the poster should have took their gripe to this thread. See how none of y’all posts have been deleted even though your still talking about the same thing?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:51 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
There is absolutely no basis for those renderings. There are no power poles along Broadway in front of The 1800, Credit Human, or the Mosaic. The have either buried the lines or moved them to a side street.

I HATE utility poles but the poster should have took their gripe to this thread. See how none of y’all posts have been deleted even though your still talking about the same thing?
There are no rules about posting obviously exaggerated images to make a case. Even if the point is unpopular. There were posts that continued after the pics and that was the "basis"- to create a dialogue. Unfortunately, there are those that only want to hear about "height" and "floor levels" of building projects. How tall this and how tall that. I will continue to point out the changes needed. Be tolerant of opinions.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
The Alameda Theater Conservancy will begin construction on the initial phase of a redevelopment plan that includes renovations to the more than 70-year-old venue and a new headquarters for Texas Public Radio next door.

Once completed, the Alameda will serve as a performing arts and film center featuring American-Latino history and diverse programming.

“The Alameda Theatre has been a bastion of Latino Arts for generations,” City Councilman Roberto Treviño said. “The ‘¡Volver a la Alameda!’ movie festival District 1 organized in 2017 illustrated that people of all ages want to see this iconic, historical and cultural space returned this to its former glory."

The nonprofit conservancy was created in May 2017 by the city of San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas Public Radio and La Familia Cortez. Stakeholders sought considerable public input for the project.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...o-theater.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
There are no rules about posting obviously exaggerated images to make a case. Even if the point is unpopular. There were posts that continued after the pics and that was the "basis"- to create a dialogue. Unfortunately, there are those that only want to hear about "height" and "floor levels" of building projects. How tall this and how tall that. I will continue to point out the changes needed. Be tolerant of opinions.
You did nothing wrong. You were giving us a visual of what utility poles would look like in front of the Jefferson Bank HQ if left in front of the building after completion, which is what the thread was about. SirkingWilliam needs to loosen up his leash on "what's right or wrong to post" when speaking about a specific project. I know i'm not the only one who thinks that. It's not a fun forum when you have to worry if your opinion or view of a certain project may be deleted or moved just because one admin doesn't want to hear about it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post

After maxus pointed out how utility poles would look in front of the Jefferson Bank HQ. Sirkingwilliam said and I quote:
"I’m not at all sure what you’re talking about. What recent new developments tore up street sides, but left telephone poles? Examples? I can almost promise you won’t come up with any.

Also, you do understand millions of dollars in street development is about to commence on lower Broadway. Construction that will bury telephone lines. This is completely separate from this development, but the area of this development will see those improvements"

Maxus then showed examples of recent completed projects with telephone/utility poles in front of the completed buildings. If anything, sirkingwilliam was looking for the examples and Maxus just delivered.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
As I said, lower Broadway is about to begin work on major reconstruction into a complete street. Those lines will be buried.
I can confirm that work at CPSenergy has entered it's initial phase as per Broadway, but it will take some time, and utility poles are likely, even if temporary, to be visible on new projects for some time.

CPS has to make work orders, procure environmental studies, go through a design phase, and determine where any gas lines are, coordinate with SAWS for water lines/mains and much more before they even begin to procure parts/equipment/subcontractors to begin the project.

My guess is, and it's informed, the poles will be there after the Jefferson HQ project is completed, even as temporary poles until the utilities can be buried.

The city, as the customer, will also have to make the requests, and pay for the research of currently buried utilities, environmental impact studies, the movement of current gas lines, and myriad of other costs and delays.

Then, once CPS, is contracted to actually do the project, the work of lining up crews, sub-contractors, ordering services and parts, and more, actually begins. It's slow and expensive. And I haven't even gotten into the act of surveying, and dealing with eminent domain, which can be challenged and litigated for years. (Given the project parameters, I don't see eminent domain coming into play at this time, but you never know when a stubborn land owner will get a hair up their behind,).

Broadway is going to be a mess for years, perhaps decades, once this gets started, and the utility poles that Maxus posted pictures of, both around the Jefferson project, and recently completed projects, will still be there.

CPS has no plans in the works, nor has been asked to investigate, the burying of power lines in the DT area.

You once gave me a warning about being "condescending" to other posters, yet you did the exact same thing to Maxus, and he was correct.

(And no, I don't think the poles will look like Maxus' obviously facetious mock up, but rather behind the project, and not on the Broadway side, but there will be poles.)

ETA: According to my wife, who has the responsibility for providing geographical coordinates and mapping of these projects, the initial phase starts around the Witte, and goes North to Austin Highway. Isn't the Jefferson HQ South of that? I'm willing to be wrong here.

Last edited by Restless One; Jan 28, 2020 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks, maxus, for bringing up the topic of utility poles. As a result, I have learned a lot about the issue from several members of the forum who have contributed their knowledge and information.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:22 PM

More trouble for the brick and mortar retail scene...

Quote:
A national retailer’s closure of half of its stores nationwide will impact one of its San Antonio locations.

While the Fort Worth-based retailer would not reveal a list of stores it plans to close, Business Insider and research firm AggData found 260 stores that have been wiped from Pier 1’s website, including its location at 11625 Bandera Road in the Bandera Pointe Shopping Center.

In a phone call to the location, a store employee confirmed that Bandera Pointe is the only San Antonio location affected in the closure and that the company has not provided a definitive answer on when exactly the store will close. Pier 1 Imports has four other locations in the San Antonio area.

Pier 1 Imports Inc. (NYSE: PIR) released its quarterly earnings earlier this month, announcing plans to potentially close up to 450 of its 942 retail locations.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 2:20 AM
James

I just wanted to check-in and ask if everyone was doing okay! I noticed it was al little dead in regards to development news and us talking.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 6:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I just wanted to check-in and ask if everyone was doing okay! I noticed it was al little dead in regards to development news and us talking.
I'm good. Thank you for asking. I hope you're well too... as well as everyone else.

I imagine construction is going to be at a standstill for a while. Then who knows at what rate it will come back, if at all. Looks like things are going to be rough for a while.

Everybody please take care of yourselves and take the physical distancing seriously. I have a friend in Italy who is recovering from the coronavirus, and I want her to be the only person I know who gets it. We're all in this together... the whole world.

Peace and good health to everyone!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 4:41 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Worried, but personally doing fine, getting in the rhythm of the WFH life etc. Enjoying the silver linings, like less cars on the road to murder me when I'm on my bike.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 10:47 PM

I'm from Austin but have family in San Antonio and visit it often. When I was growing up in the 1990s, San Antonio was the big city to me while Austin felt small and quiet. Bexar County is still larger than Travis county, with a 2018 Census estimate of 1.9 million for Bexar and 1.2 million for Travis. So why is San Antonio's urban and economic development inferior to Austin's?

San Antonio has some intrinsic advantages over Austin: multiple large military bases providing large scale employment regardless of economic conditions, the Riverwalk, and Six Flags. Yet Austin is much richer and has more economic development.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
I'm from Austin but have family in San Antonio and visit it often. When I was growing up in the 1990s, San Antonio was the big city to me while Austin felt small and quiet. Bexar County is still larger than Travis county, with a 2018 Census estimate of 1.9 million for Bexar and 1.2 million for Travis. So why is San Antonio's urban and economic development inferior to Austin's?

San Antonio has some intrinsic advantages over Austin: multiple large military bases providing large scale employment regardless of economic conditions, the Riverwalk, and Six Flags. Yet Austin is much richer and has more economic development.
Oh boy, you've stepped in to now.

The best answer I can give is the University of Texas at Austin. Young, professionals, well educated, and a tech community that hires them.

As for planning, Austin has simply planned better than the planners here. Well, except for traffic. San Antonio relied on the Military and tourism for a long time. It's getting better now, but we kind of dug ourselves a hole we're still climbing out of.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio