HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
GT Champion

It wasn't until the last couple years that they started opening Ikeas in the US (and I remember reading something about them not wanting to compete in the furniture market there) so Im sure there are a number of reasons why they havent opened one in Winnipeg yet that have nothing to do with the population. Pretty much every piece of Ikea furniture I have is broken, the only real reason to go there is for cheap hotdogs and meatballs, so Im not sure what all the fuss is about in not having one.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 2:59 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
bahaha not this stupid talk again last year we deceded ikea was noting but crap
I agree completely!!... I live in Calgary and don't and would not shop at Ikea. Its crappy lowend unassembled furniture.. why does Winnipeg care...

Simple.. because Winnipeg wants to be in the big leagues.. even if its lowend crap.

Eventhough Calgary got its store when it was below 800,000 people as did Edmonton, Winnipeg is not so fortunate. It seems the requirements has been increased by the Ikea location desision makers.

Its no big loss... I'd much rather concern my time with development of the local economy and the entrepenueral factors which build the small and medium size business sector. Build the economy and make the city stronger.

I am sure a unintentional result will be an attrcation of more large big box retailers .. which may eventually include Ikea. It won't make one bit of difference to me.. I like quality furniture.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 5:20 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I think we talked about this in the 'old' IKEA thread, but I don't see any positives in IKEA coming to the city.

Those stores are a celebration of urban sprawl and do nothing but to promote a throw-away / car dependent lifestyle.

As a city that should be working hard to curb sprawl, we can consider ourselves lucky not to have another big box power centre to compete with downtown.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 5:43 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I think we talked about this in the 'old' IKEA thread, but I don't see any positives in IKEA coming to the city.
Well if you've never had one, then you wouldn't know what the positives were.
There are small independant furniture stores in Calgary as well, with the quality ranging from crappy to very high quality. Stores like Ikea promote sprawl -and I don't argue that they don't- but you still get a wide variety of stuff at an affordable price. It doesn't matter where you live, you get what you pay for, and unfortunately the small downtown furniture stores are a thing of the past or soon will be....even in Winnipeg.
Eventually an Ikea will come to Winnipeg, and the peggers will love it... might as well get used to the idea. Right now 9 out of 10 peggers would love to have one in their city.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 5:54 AM

these IKEA in Winnipeg Rumours are a lot like the IKEA founder Rumours that he is the richest man in the world yet he says he is not and points out that IKEA is held or owned by some charity that he gave IKEA too or something

let me snopes it out

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 6:11 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Kalmar - 230k (in county)
230 thou... oh wait, it's with a K.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 6:35 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
That is so funny. I had no idea Winnipeg didn't have an Ikea.

Why is it Winnipeg never had one? Calgary got an Ikea 25 years ago??
the most common answer to that is that in the 80's and early 90's the defehr family, who own palliser furniture, the largest furniture manufacturer in canada and the second largest in north america, muscled any potential franchise investors out....not sure how they did that exactly but that was what was commonly reported.

winnipeg and ikea is all about status...who really cares....i prefer to have the flagship EQ3 store, but i guess we are not one of the big boys until we have a massive parking lot with thousands of mini vans roaming about a giant blue box.

they should put it in the top floor of the Bay downtown.....imagine that?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the most common answer to that is that in the 80's and early 90's the defehr family, who own palliser furniture, the largest furniture manufacturer in canada and the second largest in north america, muscled any potential franchise investors out....not sure how they did that exactly but that was what was commonly reported.

winnipeg and ikea is all about status...who really cares....i prefer to have the flagship EQ3 store, but i guess we are not one of the big boys until we have a massive parking lot with thousands of mini vans roaming about a giant blue box.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that story before.

I didn't realize the Winnipeg EQ3 store was the flagship store for Canada, it's not much different than the one in Calgary. EQ3 IMO is just as cliche as Ikea, only it's grossly overpriced.

but i guess we are not one of the big boys until we have a massive parking lot with thousands of mini vans roaming about a giant blue box.

That is true, the Ikea thing is a status thing. Most people in Winnipeg would much rather have the Ikea

Last edited by Habanero; Jan 31, 2007 at 6:52 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 7:14 AM
Editor

Quote:

I didn't realize the Winnipeg EQ3 store was the flagship store for Canada, it's not much different than the one in Calgary. EQ3 IMO is just as cliche as Ikea, only it's grossly overpriced.

I like EQ3, it is somewhat overpriced but the quality is generally good, and the stuff is unique. Well.... at least it used to be, that kind of furniture is pretty common these days, still much more imagination than Ikea.

Quote:

Who really cares? Well, everyone in Winnipeg with the exception of the people here on the forum of course. Bottom line is Winnipeggers would kill to have one.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 7:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

is being draged to the ikea hear in minneaplis tomarow and i have never set foot in one
to get dishes or somthing for the kitchen i am going to be building with my dad at the cabin...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 7:33 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
is being draged to the ikea hear in minneaplis tomarow and i have never set foot in one
to get dishes or somthing for the kitchen i am going to be building with my dad at the cabin...
My wife drags me into the one here all the time

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 7:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
My wife drags me into the one here all the time
supost to have breakfast there wtf ?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 7:40 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

but i guess we are not one of the big boys until we have a massive parking lot with thousands of mini vans roaming about a giant blue box.

That is true, the Ikea thing is a status thing. Most people in Winnipeg would much rather have the Ikea
EQ3 is palliser...ours was the first and when they do new lines and concepts it is tried here first...the defehrs are good community citizens...they actually stole 3 or 4 of the top people from ikea when they started it up...including a couple designers.....its a nice store, but they havent reached their goal of being an ikea competitor quite yet.

i agree about the overprice...i bought a cabinet from EQ3 and paid like $400 for it and then had to put it together myself?...for that money i want it to be put together properly by a craftsman or at least a machine....not by me on my living room floor with an L shaped wrench.

you are right...most people in winnipeg salivate over ikea....cheap crap...its like the store was made for winnipeg...there would be 3 poang chairs in every house for a 200 km radius around the store.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 8:00 AM
Editor

Quote:
EQ3 is palliser...ours was the first and when they do new lines and concepts it is tried here first...the defehrs are good community citizens...they actually stole 3 or 4 of the top people from ikea when they started it up...including a couple designers.....its a nice store, but they havent reached their goal of being an ikea competitor quite yet.

i agree about the overprice...i bought a cabinet from EQ3 and paid like $400 for it and then had to put it together myself?...for that money i want it to be put together properly by a craftsman or at least a machine....not by me on my living room floor with an L shaped wrench.

you are right...most people in winnipeg salivate over ikea....cheap crap...its like the store was made for winnipeg...there would be 3 poang chairs in every house for a 200 km radius around the store.
I quite like the stuff at EQ3. It is a bit overpriced, but what the heck, their stuff is unique. I almost bought a computer desk from them a while back.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 8:10 AM

breakfast at IKEA is only 99 cents

you get egg, sausage, hashbrowns and a croissant

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 2:50 PM
the first stamp is free

^and the way it tastes, you pretty much paid twice what its worth...

EQ3 is OK, I almost bought a couple end tables there. The one thing it has going for it that IKEA doesn't - is that EQ3 builds furniture with materials OTHER than pine...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Note to self: remove Poang's before inviting TV over (leftover from student days which weren't so long ago ...) Seat TV on EQ3 couch ...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 10:19 PM
surely you agree with me

^i actually only sit on mid century modern couches....if it aint designed by corbu or mies...i'll sit on the floor.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:19 PM

^ I guess the bbq's at your place then. Let me know what I can bring!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 12:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol the wpg ssp great bbq cook off

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan