Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Always red ...
Timmins Tuxedo!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Pallas Data dropped a poll this morning with a CPC +16 national lead. The more interesting thing though is that they have a three way tie between the LPC/BQ/CPC in Quebec.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CPC ahead of both the LPC and BQ in Quebec!!!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:00 PM

n=342 for Quebec, so small'ish sub-sample. MOE on that is plus or minus 5%.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Looking at that graphic, it's interesting to me just how much an outlier Alberta is politically, even moreso than Quebec. "Don't tread on me"/"Fuck Trudeau" staunch conservatives certainly aren't uncommon in resource extraction industries, but I have a hard time thinking that's more represented in Alberta than it is in MB/SK where the conservative bend is far less pronounced.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:21 PM

It's interesting because the Liberal support is nearly identical in those regions (Alberta actually has high Liberal percentage!) despite the "Fuck Trudeau" mindset. I could just be naïve, but what garners such hate of the NDP in Alberta? Is it that Singh wears a turban, are they looked as "Commies"?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
It's interesting because the Liberal support is nearly identical in those regions (Alberta actually has high Liberal percentage!) despite the "Fuck Trudeau" mindset. I could just be naïve, but what garners such hate of the NDP in Alberta? Is it that Singh wears a turban, are they looked as "Commies"?
Commies I'm sure.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:05 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Timmins Tuxedo!
I always thought a jean jacket was the Canadian tux. Maybe we've evolved to a higher state of fashion! Or at least have options now...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:06 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Looking at that graphic, it's interesting to me just how much an outlier Alberta is politically, even moreso than Quebec. "Don't tread on me"/"Fuck Trudeau" staunch conservatives certainly aren't uncommon in resource extraction industries, but I have a hard time thinking that's more represented in Alberta than it is in MB/SK where the conservative bend is far less pronounced.
It would be interesting to see what QC support would look like without the BQ.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Non-support does not necessarily correlate directly with "hate".

It can just be that people find a specific party's message and policies don't appeal to them.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It would be interesting to see what QC support would look like without the BQ.
I am honestly surprised that federal Liberal support in Quebec isn't collapsing in the way that it has for the provincial Liberals.

They're still at double where the provincial Liberals are (28 vs 14). (Basically the provincial Liberals have bottomed out to their anglophone and allophone base. Their francophone share of the vote is almost completely gone.)

Whereas the federal polling shows JT is retaining the anglophone-allophone Liberal base, PLUS a decent chunk of the francophone vote as well.

For the moment anyway.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
MB-SK is probably not the most ideal pairing for polls at this point.

SK if isolated would be probably be more like Alberta. Perhaps slightly less conservative but not that much.

MB can actually resemble Ontario a lot politically.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:53 PM

Quote:
In the Prairies, the NDP is seen as a totally urban party whose union supporters wear business attire, tweed jackets of academia or barista aprons vice steel toed boots, dirty coveralls, and soiled hands. Therefore the NDP has traction within city limits but are totally erased outside of those urban cores (Canadian Shield is the exception to that rule in many cases)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:56 PM

Quote:
MB-SK is probably not the most ideal pairing for polls at this point.

SK if isolated would be probably be more like Alberta. Perhaps slightly less conservative but not that much.

MB can actually resemble Ontario a lot politically.
I call my region Saskatoba (basically a line from the Manitoba escarpment to a line that runs a little east of Moose Jaw north to Saskatoon.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In the last federal election (2021), I believe the Conservative vote was actually 5 points higher in SK than in AB.

The Conservative vote in SK was also 20 points higher than in MB.

SK is the new AB?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:07 PM

Quote:
It is the story of rural Canada. You have multi-generational large extended families living in an area. Smaller communities where everyone knows everyone. Lots of small family owned farming and related service business.

In that kind of environment you don't need the same formal "safety net" that you do in more urban areas. If your in trouble, your family looks out for you and if not the local community does.

Many also work in the energy sector and are not ready to consider the impact of climate change.

The NDP value proposition is just not as compelling. In both Alberta and Saskatchewan the NDP do well in the cities.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:22 PM

Recent provincial polls show the provincial ndp getting closer to same support level as Saskatchewan party. Think likely due to voter fatigue after being in power now since 2007 for Sask party. Sask in general though has become more conservative the past 20 years and more entrepreneurial in nature especially saskatoon area.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Pallas Data dropped a poll this morning with a CPC +16 national lead. The more interesting thing though is that they have a three way tie between the LPC/BQ/CPC in Quebec.
People are just tired of Trudeau. It's not just the mannerisms it is fatigue with his gov't. It happens to every old gov't, as per this article in the NYT today on rishi Sunak in the UK:

Rishi Sunak Is Trying His Best. He’s Probably Still Doomed.
Oct. 25, 2023

....There’s an argument that any leader would struggle with the conditions Mr. Sunak inherited: high inflation, increased borrowing costs and low growth. Across the world, incumbent governments of all stripes are finding their time is up — whether it’s the center-left Labour Party in New Zealand or the right-wing populist Law and Justice party in Poland. When Mr. Sunak has found success, it’s been by making his own weather.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/25/o...ervatives.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:54 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
In the last federal election (2021), I believe the Conservative vote was actually 5 points higher in SK than in AB.

The Conservative vote in SK was also 20 points higher than in MB.

SK is the new AB?
Per 2021 census, 82.3% of Albertans live within CMAs or CAs, compared to 64.4% of Saskatchewanians. So this might just be a reflection of the same urban/rural split happening everywhere in the country.

If anything, the Tory vote being (only) 5 points higher in Sask compared to Alberta suggests that rural Sask voters may not be as staunchly conservative as rural Alberta voters.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
It looks like Trudeau is getting in on the act and now also inventing silly names.

Little clip of PP making unfounded and silly claims about how food processors are removing nutritional value from food due to the carbon tax. (You can't make this nonsense up).

JT points out that this is PP is conflating the issue as he attempts to confuse Canadians.

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/...72770079211911

-----

On a different note, the press in India is reporting that when/if PP becomes PM he would move to restore relationships with India. They claim PP said that Canada has major disputes with almost every major power in the world. He suggests he is going to fix that. I don't trust him on that one.

https://www.indiatoday.in/world/stor...204-2023-10-24
Have you not purchased Halloween candy yet, nearly every item is 10% smaller, most kit kats come with only 1 stick now, can count the # of m&ms on 2 hands, sometimes 1. It dosent take a genius to see that, most if not all food items are down in weight but not in price. So yeah reducing nutritional value which probably cost the most too add for food items would be the 1st thing to get axed. As JT asked to them to find savings instead of removing barriers and taxes.

No name items the way to go. No filler just what the ingredients are and that's it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada