HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 9:04 PM
DENNAB

Looks like we have our next supertall

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 1:48 PM
New Yorker for life

JULY 23, 2023

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 11:52 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:59 PM

The facade is just gorgeous.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 6:26 PM
New Yorker for life

It's a beautiful thing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 8:37 PM

I love the slightly dark tint of the glass. It works so well with the bronze cladding. Reflective blue glass would have been a bad choice here and I'm glad they went with a slightly darker shade.

A quick question for those of you who regularly see this building: do you ever see people gawking at it? I know New Yorkers are famously jaded, but this is such a dramatic spectacle of a building---a full-block monster that's propped up on stilts. You don't see something like this built very often, which is why I'm curious if pedestrians notice it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSelby View Post
A quick question for those of you who regularly see this building: do you ever see people gawking at it? I know New Yorkers are famously jaded, but this is such a dramatic spectacle of a building---a full-block monster that's propped up on stilts. You don't see something like this built very often, which is why I'm curious if pedestrians notice it.

I see people checking it out all the time, even chatted with a couple of older woman who wanted my opinion on what I thought of it (it was a very unusual looking structure at the time). I think for a whole range of reasons, from the enormous size, to the rarity of new construction on Park Avenue. I sometimes think its even people who used to work at the old tower. But you can’t help but notice the building because it’s so massive. The fact that it’s JP Morgan Chase sometimes plays a role.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 12:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I see people checking it out all the time, even chatted with a couple of older woman who wanted my opinion on what I thought of it (it was a very unusual looking structure at the time). I think for a whole range of reasons, from the enormous size, to the rarity of new construction on Park Avenue. I sometimes think its even people who used to work at the old tower. But you can’t help but notice the building because it’s so massive. The fact that it’s JP Morgan Chase sometimes plays a role.
What do the locals actually think of it though? Like on the design?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 12:58 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmy2 View Post
We gawked like crazy Holiday season of 2021 when this beast was at street level. Skyscraper freak that I am, we happened across it at nighttime and I made our whole group stop and stare. I was trying to explain to them, "damn, I don't know what this is going to be, but it's going to be massive!"

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 2:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmy2 View Post
I think we’ll have to wait until its mostly completed before people will start to say. As it is now, the average person still has no clue because there are so many buildings on the skyline and there always seems to be construction. I think a visit to Vanderbilt’s deck could lead to more discission, and people wondering what it is.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 3:17 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

hopefully they put the hamilton-burr duel guns out on display in the lobby.

apparantly they have them because burr>chase.

or i read that somewhere.

if so, that will attract hamilton musical fans.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 12:56 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I don't think they'll allow "riff raff" into that heavenly lobby to gawk, lol

Though in the rendering above, there does appear to be someone trying to get a peak on the left...

Cam view from today...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 1:33 AM

Looks like 270 Park Avenue is now a supertall with the erecting of the next two floors. It's about 998' to the top of the floor and over 1,000' to the top of the column splices. Can't wait for it to top out later this year or early next year. Less than 400' to go now.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 5:54 AM

Holy shit it looks like the John Hancock Center in Chicago! How did I not realize this till now? Obviously it's got differences, but it looks like a slightly fancier version of it. Looks like a similar era building, very cool facade. A throwback look. Definitely cool it's not just bright blue glass

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 5:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
Holy shit it looks like the John Hancock Center in Chicago! How did I not realize this till now? Obviously it's got differences, but it looks like a slightly fancier version of it.
Looks like a similar era building, very cool facade. A throwback look. Definitely cool it's not just bright blue glass
One of the best things about all of the new buildings going up on the east side is the lack of blue glass towers. We're getting good, quality towers.

This tower will be one of those you see in composites of the NY skyline.

Cam views...

Hiding behind Vanderbilt...

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 28, 2023 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 7:33 PM
New Yorker for life

A little older, but a clearer view of this tower changing the cityscape...

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 1:24 AM
Xzeyvion Aryee

Friday, July 28th, 2023.

The steel has now reached higher than the Summit and more of my coworkers are beginning to notice as it eclipses 432 Park Ave.

270 Park Avenue Construction Update
by Xzeyvion Aryee, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 2:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Man View Post

Yes! That's one of the things I've been thinking about. The last occupied floors of 270 will be higher than the deck at Vandy, but it's more of an event type of space there, almost like a deck.
You'll be able to see that from One Vanderbilt. Also, I like that the defined shape of the tower is becoming more visible. That glass is looking sharp.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...oto/1551657305

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 29, 2023 at 3:02 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction