HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But that's exactly what indigenous people (or at least a lot of them) don't want: to be Canadians just like everyone else that simply blend into the mass.

And that's also what most Québécois don't want as well: to simply be Canadians comme les autres.

Of course, in the case of Québécois we have a whole bunch of favourable factors that allow us to mostly live that way, and that indigenous people do not have on their side.
For most of my life I have been puzzled by that very mindset. Why do people who were born in this country and are inexorably part of this country... not want to be part of this country?

I don't buy loss of culture as a reason. There are many cultures in Canada that maintain their own strong cultural identity while adhering to the same rules and laws that all other Canadians adhere to, and maintain an active role in Canadian society.

Honestly, I think the Canada of the future is strongest if all its inhabitants feel that they have an equal footing in the country and all feel they are an integral part of the Country.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada