HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:24 PM

Is it possible for a building to look nice and cheap at the same time? I mean, it's new and clean looking but it also looks like just a really impressive industrial park.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Yeah, it's a very sparse, cold design. The limestone on the exterior is a nice touch, but there doesn't seem to be much inspired about the building. Form follows function and not much more.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 7:11 PM

I think at the time it was designed a decade or so ago, it was a fairly modern design. But I think the limestone Lake Flato style has definitely waned in recent years just because it's so ubiquitous in San Antonio and Austin. It's not bad by any means, and probably very functional as a courthouse, but it doesn't really inspire either.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancla View Post
Is it possible for a building to look nice and cheap at the same time? I mean, it's new and clean looking but it also looks like just a really impressive industrial park.
That's because it was built the same way industrial warehouse-type buildings and big box stores are built, using tilt-up wall construction, the cheapest possible way to build a large building.

Read through this thread from the beginning. It's a sad story of grand plans being abandoned for cheap compromises.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 2:36 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
It's a sad story of grand plans being abandoned for cheap compromises.
Sounds about right.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 9:56 PM

Photos: U.S. Courts personnel settling into new federal courthouse

https://saheron.com/photos-us-courts...al-courthouse/

All United States Courts personnel have completed their move from the former John H. Wood Jr. Federal Courthouse in Hemisfair into the new federal courthouse at 214 W. Nueva St., according to the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA). The new three-story, 235,000-square-foot building includes eight courtrooms and 13 chambers, and was built via $144 million in Congressional funding in 2016 for new courthouses. “We’ve been slightly ahead of schedule and slightly under budget,” said U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez, who spearheaded the effort on behalf of the Federal Judiciary. The limestone-clad building is supposed to also house personnel with the offices of the U.S. Attorneys, U.S. Marshals Service, the GSA, among other federal agencies. — Heron staff

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 10:41 PM

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 8:34 AM

Hmm, that is a piece of interesting news. I can’t wait to see the new building court. However, I think the old one was good too. But with modern age changes everything. I think you’ve noticed that fashion and trends are changing, and even the building style. Each architect/designer needs to keep pace and try to be up-to-date. I have to scroll through many architect sites architectstudents.com Is my favorite, watch many new videos with designing trends, and even read more books on this topic not to be outdated.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio