HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 4:57 PM

I remember when the mall opened and a number of our Webb students would get off the school bus in the morning to walk over there to spend the day.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 11:15 PM

Took a bike ride around Highland today. Looks like there are about 4 projects getting going:

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Took a bike ride around Highland today. Looks like there are about 4 projects getting going:
Ha! Maybe the largest images I've ever seen, but seriously thanks for the updates. Was a part of town I got to watch the start of the new era when I worked out there in undergrad - absolutely amazing to see where it continues to go (though I still have my fingers crossed for greater density in the future - bring on the mid and high-rises)!!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyvilleJ-Rad View Post
Ha! Maybe the largest images I've ever seen, but seriously thanks for the updates. Was a part of town I got to watch the start of the new era when I worked out there in undergrad - absolutely amazing to see where it continues to go (though I still have my fingers crossed for greater density in the future - bring on the mid and high-rises)!!
Ah yeah, they were just from an iPhone and I uploaded to imgur and didn't realize they'd be so big.

I was surprised how many people were walking around, the little park in between the FiveTwo buildings was especially active, I didn't realize a Bennu had moved in. A patisserie is apparently opening on the other side soon. Also I think the quality of much of what has gone in there has been better than in much of Austin, including the Domain. The FiveTwo buildings by Lake Flato are IMO possibly the best-designed mid-rises in the whole city. Excellent materials, I think it will age extremely well.

I agree with you about density, if the city were smart they'd drop any height limitations here and encourage developers to build as much as possible. This will be a transit center and could be so much more.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Ah yeah, they were just from an iPhone and I uploaded to imgur and didn't realize they'd be so big.

I was surprised how many people were walking around, the little park in between the FiveTwo buildings was especially active, I didn't realize a Bennu had moved in. A patisserie is apparently opening on the other side soon. Also I think the quality of much of what has gone in there has been better than in much of Austin, including the Domain. The FiveTwo buildings by Lake Flato are IMO possibly the best-designed mid-rises in the whole city. Excellent materials, I think it will age extremely well.

I agree with you about density, if the city were smart they'd drop any height limitations here and encourage developers to build as much as possible. This will be a transit center and could be so much more.
That's truly amazing to hear about! For the longest time it seemed the only pedestrians were those walking from the Greyhound station up Middle Fiskville. Then Vivo reopened in Lincoln Village and the foot traffic picked up tremendously from people's cars in the parking lot to the restaurant, haha! We and our later neighbors at Rooster Teeth (we lovingly called them Chicken Tech) would walk 20 feet over for lunch several times a week at the bar.

*Funny asides, I remember when (to me the unknown) Greg Casar launched his first run for council at Vivo and one of the couples who showed up in support unfortunately had their vehicle stolen from the parking lot during the event. Another time, then-police chief Acevedo visited the center for lunch and hit a parked car while backing out of his parking spot - because it was a in an official vehicle some APD documentation crew had to come out and made it a small but slightly embarrassing affair! Then there was the time I sold Rick Perry luggage post-governorship; he was heading for a speech somewhere in Europe a few months before the 2016 election-cycle really started kicking off.*

A close friend at the time was taking courses at the relatively new ACC Highland campus, which I got to walk around quite a bit and sit in on a few classes. Crazy to see how much it has expanded now. After a few years I left the area just as construction was taking off (the first southern apartments were finishing out) to work at the Men's Wearhouse in Gateway for a while. Eventually quit to finish out my degree at Butler(UT).

The area was not what it was once upon a time when I worked there. Our members with fond memories of Highland Mall in the day can attest to that! The mental image of those endless seas of asphalt becoming active streetscape and parkland is truly inspiring. I loved that area then for what it was - can only imagine how many more people love and appreciate it now.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 3:20 PM

Quote:
The FiveTwo buildings by Lake Flato are IMO possibly the best-designed mid-rises in the whole city. Excellent materials, I think it will age extremely well.
The only thing that bothers me about these buildings is the light poles that stick up on top of the parking garage...you can see em stick up way above the top of the building from a bit of a distance. Looks funky.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:07 PM

I’ve been meaning to post these from last week.

Austin PBS

COA Planning and Development Department

St. John’s Park

Unknown, off Highland Mall Blvd

ACC Highline

NPR Group Apartments

Airport Center Apartments

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 12:02 AM

Can't remember what thread we used for this one, but Towers has a new article on the Amaya's project, which I think is so unexpectedly awesome: https://austin.towers.net/the-amayas...ct-of-the-year

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:43 AM

Looks like some nice retro-futurism.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 2:18 PM

Has anyone seen the PBS and Parking garage lit up at night. PBS is a Partying Building that Shines at night.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:23 PM
クラブトクヨ

The first time I saw it, I was like what is that with all those lights lol

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 9:25 PM

See how Austin Community College turned Highland Mall into a campus

https://www.kut.org/education/2022-0...-into-a-campus

Austin Community College's new campus at the former Highland Mall is opening to the public this weekend.

The plans to turn Austin's first indoor mall into a community college campus began more than a decade ago when ACC started buying sections of the property in 2010. The campus has been opening in phases, and a grand opening for phase two takes place Saturday. The public will be able to tour the campus, located at 6101 Highland Campus Dr., from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

ACC Highland has state-of-the-art skills labs for nursing programs, multiple kitchens for the culinary program and a television studio for radio, television and film students.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 2:30 AM

"The applicant is proposing full demolition of the existing hotel and development of an office building with associated improvements."

Interesting... the address listed points to the Holiday Inn on Middle Fiskville adjacent to the old Highland Mall.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=236894

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 8:07 PM

285 residential units + 3000 sqft retail space planned to replace a few surface parking lots on Huntland Dr. This is next to the under-construction Airport Center Apartments.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=349347

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...PQggpURBzVl3gM

Last edited by calesce; Jul 13, 2022 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 9:43 PM

The old Highland Mall and surrounding areas are fast becoming unrecognizable. What a great redevelopment story compared to the old Northcross mall (looking at you Walmart).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 11:16 PM

ACC Highland

Urban Genesis via LinkedIn

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 8:19 PM

ACC Highland I & II

Revolve

Medina Highlands

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Revolve

https://revolveatx.com/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
I believe this is the last of the planned multifamily on the ACC Highland Campus from the master plan (top yellow in the map below). The remaining spaces were planned as office/commercial or ACC facility expansion. I wonder if they'll pivot away from office/commercial into more residential or do a mixed project.

Or are these areas going to be a long-term hold? I guess it's also possible the city could expand its footprint next to the new development office as well.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calesce View Post
285 residential units + 3000 sqft retail space planned to replace a few surface parking lots on Huntland Dr. This is next to the under-construction Airport Center Apartments.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=349347

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...PQggpURBzVl3gM

https://www.bartlettcocke.com/pdev/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin