HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Road work tenders issued for 2019 season.

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/reg...season-270363/

Not seeing anything in here regarding the Team Gushue Highway for 2019. More to come soon hopefully.

https://www.tw.gov.nl.ca/tenderingan.../GenReport.asp

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 7:03 PM

TGH News

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Finally had a chance to drive the TGH extension last light. It's truly a great driving experience. The only thing: the city has got to repaint the lines on Penneywell going to Brier Avenue, or put some signage up as to what lane you need to be in to access Brier.
Agreed, but I guss the city will make some other changes to this intersection next year. There is a lot of room there for adding or reconfiguring lanes. It was pretty rushed to get finished this year.

I love this new road. Living in the centre city, I can now get to mount pearl faster than I can get to the east end.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 3:08 PM

Highway Speeds in Atlantic Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Good article - I missed that one.

I like that quote regarding 85th percentile speeds, “If you set the speed limit too artificially low, you basically find that most motorists won’t obey the speed limit," he said.
Very applicable to the Team Gushue Highway I think.

A question comes to mind - are our highways designed to a different standard than those in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick? I'm inclined to say yes.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post

I like that quote regarding 85th percentile speeds, “If you set the speed limit too artificially low, you basically find that most motorists won’t obey the speed limit," he said.

A question comes to mind - are our highways designed to a different standard than those in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick? I'm inclined to say yes.
I keep fearing I will be ticketed for speeding on the Team Gushue. I get on the highway with the intention of obeying the speed limit and before I know it the speedometer is saying 100+. The highway is definitely of a 100 km/h design....which makes 80 difficult. I hope they at least raise it to 90.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post

Highway speed and design have a lot of factors to consider, though one of which is the angle which the highway bends/turns are set at. Though there really isn't much difference between 100 and 110, but there is quite a difference between 70 and 100.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I keep fearing I will be ticketed for speeding on the Team Gushue. I get on the highway with the intention of obeying the speed limit and before I know it the speedometer is saying 100+. The highway is definitely of a 100 km/h design....which makes 80 difficult. I hope they at least raise it to 90.
Agreed! ... I have the same issue.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:13 PM

There's more than enough science showing that the mean average will be the safest speed expected for the road, regardless of the posted speed limit.

Editorial: It’s time for Canada to increase highway speed limits

Just a quick Google:

Quote:
These changes have been met with predictable complaints from the RCMP and the B.C. Association of Chiefs of Police, who claim that higher speeds will lead to more accidents, as well as from environmental groups outraged about increased pollution. In truth, there should be no appreciable impact on safety or the environment. The changes will simply allow people to get where they’re going in a lawful and timely manner.

There’s ample evidence going back many decades that proves most drivers pick their travel speed based on driving conditions and road characteristics, rather than posted limits. Dropping maximum speeds in an effort to make roads safer has little impact on how people actually drive. A U.S. government report on the topic concluded: “The majority of motorists do not alter their speeds to conform to speed limits they perceive as unreasonable for prevailing conditions.” By the same token, raising limits doesn’t produce faster average speeds; it merely makes lawful what is already common behaviour. (When B.C. raised the speed limit on Highway 1 at Tappen, near Shuswap Lake, by 10 km/h in 2006, the average driver’s speed didn’t change.)
Examples around town: Torbay road, where "everyone" does 60-70 despite it being 50. The ORR where on a nice day the average speed is 110-115, despite being 100. Torbay Bypass despite being 70 most everyone does 90.

There's zero science to show that when the posted speed limit is raised to match the mean average of a roadway drivers will A) go faster again (i.e. raising ORR to 110 doesn't mean ppl will do 120) and B) accidents will increase, they don't.

In fact, in the studies I've seen show that when the posted speed limit is raised to match the mean average — the speed limit driven most commonly by the largest number of drivers — accident rates decrease and speeding tickets decrease, as well as other infractions decrease.

The thinking is that the higher speed limit allowance which more accurately matches the possibilities of the roadway encourages drivers to pay more attention AND you don't have the mismatch so common here on our highways. The ORR for example, as I said most do 110~... now add someone doing 90-100 into that mix and that is where the risk raises dramatically. A slow car on the highway is far more dangerous that someone driving 10kmh faster than the average. They're legally allowed to do 100 but with the mean average of speed is 110, 100 is very dangerous.

Slow Ride: the dangers of driving too slowly

Also, my opinion is that there's no reason for the new highway to be anything other than 100. It's absolutely no different from the ORR and imo it's a better highway given the hard divider, larger paved shoulder, and lights. It seems very odd for it to be not 100.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:38 PM

Here is an academic paper out of Australia about road design and how it relates to speed limits and speeds driven:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/584...906bef5618.pdf

Basically drivers will choose speed by feel, as previously mentioned by other commentators. Signage has minor effects. For enforcement the perceived speed limit was at drivers though police would start ticketing. ie "Police only write tickets at 15 over the limit". Interestingly, areas with photo radar had up to a 20% reduction in incidents resulting in injury.

The part I liked the most is the human factors that make that influence driving speed, especially when you think of them in a NL context. Including by not limited to:

-larger vehicles mean higher speeds.
-personality traits: confidence that you are a better than the average driver; likelihood of doing other high risk behaviors.
-feeling of pressed for time.
-general stress.
-social norms.

The authors suggest roads be designed to be "self explaining" for speed limits. This can include narrower lane widths, less roadside set backs, more visual speed cues.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613_YYT View Post
Interestingly, areas with photo radar had up to a 20% reduction in incidents resulting in injury.
That stat is based on:

Quote:
Effects on Accidents of Automatic Speed Enforcement in Norway.
Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 1595
And I don't have access to that. I would like to see the time frame for their study. Many of those photo radar studies have been proven to be baseless, using a small sample size. Some people suggest they're funded by insurance companies/governments, cherry picking data as a way to provide easy income.

There's more than enough study, op-ed, and articles out there to prove that photo radar simply doesn't work and is just a way to provide easy, steady income for the municipalities in charge.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post

The thinking is that the higher speed limit allowance which more accurately matches the possibilities of the roadway encourages drivers to pay more attention AND you don't have the mismatch so common here on our highways. The ORR for example, as I said most do 110~... now add someone doing 90-100 into that mix and that is where the risk raises dramatically. A slow car on the highway is far more dangerous that someone driving 10kmh faster than the average. They're legally allowed to do 100 but with the mean average of speed is 110, 100 is very dangerous.
I'd be careful when using that argument because the speed limit is the maximum speed in ideal conditions and not the all the time speed. The problem I have with that argument is conditions change person by person and car by car. A driver shouldn't be vilified and labeled unsafe and the problem for slowing down because they are aware of their limitations or due to skill, age or fatigue or condition of their vehicle etc.

I'm not sure if this is part of the reason why governments set a lower limit but I'm fine with erring on the side of caution. There are environmental and health aspects to consider too.

I'd just like to see roads build to a slower standard as per my other post.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
I was also heading North on TGH around 2ish and just North of Kenmount, happened to glance over and saw a car (male driver), matching my speed going North in the Southbound lanes!

After noticing he was head on with vehicles coming at him in both lanes, he quickly pulled to the side. He got on the Southbound lanes by going up the ramp on the Southside of Kenmount the wrong way! So much for signage.

So it happened again!

http://vocm.com/news/dashcam-records...ushue-highway/

Despite leaving messages with general number of DOT; my call was not returned. Still no signage saying wrong way on the former Kenmount to Northbound TGH ramp!

This, despite there being ample marking on the Topsail road TGH exit ramp.
That makes twice (in my knowledge) that this has happened and given the former ramp's lack of markings, I'm sure it has happened more. Luckily on both occasions that I know about, there were clear conditions!

Now that it has been captured on dashcam and publicised, lets see how long before signs appear.

EDIT: There is a single green "keep to right of divider" icon sign, but none of the red wrong way signs as posted at Topsail interchange.

Last edited by jjavman; Jan 16, 2019 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 9:13 PM

Well, it isn't Dublin but it's something.

http://ntv.ca/westjet-announces-dire...s-to-edmonton/

Quote:
WestJet has added a new direct seasonal flight.

WestJet announced Monday a new direct flight between Edmonton and St. John’s as a highlight to its 2019 summer schedule. The three-time weekly service will begin on June 25th.

Edmonton International Airport president Tom Ruth says there are strong family and business ties between Alberta and Newfoundland, so it’s sure to be a popular flight.

“We continue to make investments to ensure the best connectivity for our guests across our network and we remain committed to growing aviation in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador,” said Arved von zur Muehlen, WestJet’s Chief Commercial Officer. “Edmonton is an important destination for the east coast and these flights demonstrate our commitment to connecting more guests across our network.”

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:41 PM

St. John's Urban Planning

Plugin that overlays the anticipated road infrastructure over Google Earth.

https://www.mae.gov.nl.ca/consultati...rp_am3_nov.kmz

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 3:30 PM

Crocker Updates 2019 Road Plan

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 8:06 PM

Today is the last day for online comments on the bike master plan draft. Be sure to do your part!

https://www.engagestjohns.ca/bike-st-johns-master-plan

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 11:40 PM

I just completed the survey, it's quite interesting how the options were either "spend lots of money" or "spend lots and lots of money". Either way the City's take away from this will be that respondents want 10 new or upgraded trails. I'd love to see the cost estimates.

From what I saw there were only 11 comments on the Engage webpage, many from repeat posters. Do I detect some apathy?

Can't wait to see how council spins this!!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I just completed the survey, it's quite interesting how the options were either "spend lots of money" or "spend lots and lots of money". Either way the City's take away from this will be that respondents want 10 new or upgraded trails. I'd love to see the cost estimates.

From what I saw there were only 11 comments on the Engage webpage, many from repeat posters. Do I detect some apathy?

Can't wait to see how council spins this!!

Well get them to axe the vacancy allowance and we'll talk (cost us ~5m this year, and rising.)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:05 PM

Pre-Election Blurb on TGH

A pre-election blurb from Crocker on TGH Phase 3. Looks similar to announcements on this phase for the last 5 years. "Surveying possible routes, negotiating land with the Feds, etc."

He does say they "hope" to start construction in 2019. I for one, am not holding my breath.

http://vocm.com/news/stage-three-of-...or-2019-start/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's