HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Public-private proposal sprawls over 3 blocks

http://www.theranger.org/public-priv...ocks-1.2551577

Basically the same info as before with a few exceptions.
I hope this complex is as nice as the one in Dallas.

http://www.ilume.com/

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 12:16 AM
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
The apartments are intended to be private student housing for students from this college and other colleges, but the company will own the apartments.

Mrizek said there will be 500 to 600 availabilities for the furnished, all-bills paid student apartments.

The projected housing estimates are $925 for one bedroom, one bath; $1,400 for both two bedroom, two bath and $2,300, for all 4 bedroom, 4 bath.

Student housing?

I doubt many community college students could afford to live here at these prices. If they are open to the public they could be rented but not if they are "student apartments". I know student housing prices at universities like Trinity and Incarnet Word are comparable in price but they are tinny dorms. I would pay $1,400 for a two bedroom apartment but not if it is a typical student apartment when I could rent at places like The Vistana for the same price. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but maybe I need to see the floor plans

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 1:43 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianmx View Post

Student housing?

I doubt many community college students could afford to live here at these prices. If they are open to the public they could be rented but not if they are "student apartments". I know student housing prices at universities like Trinity and Incarnet Word are comparable in price but they are tinny dorms. I would pay $1,400 for a two bedroom apartment but not if it is a typical student apartment when I could rent at places like The Vistana for the same price. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but maybe I need to see the floor plans
I do believe they're regular apartments just labeled "student apartments" as only university/college students can live there.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 11:55 AM
Paradise

Tobin Hill project gets Alamo Colleges' OK
Mixed-use development near SAC will include retail space, student housing units and a parking garage.
Quote:
Trustees for the Alamo Colleges on Tuesday voted to approve the district's first public/private partnership, with NRP Group/Balfour Beatty Capital, to create a mixed-use development near San Antonio College that could benefit the school and the surrounding Tobin Hill neighborhood.

An estimated $30 million project, the development will include student housing and retail space, a parking garage and later possibly an academic building for the college.

Located near Luther's Cafe on North Main Avenue, the 4.4-acre site, owned by the Alamo Colleges, is being used for parking. The city has slated the commercial corridor for revitalization, in tandem with efforts by the Tobin Hill Community Association and others to spruce up the entire neighborhood.

Given the proximity to downtown and a college with 22,000 students, the project has a great chance of success, she said.

Initially, the design calls for 150 student housing units, 10,000 square feet of retail space and a 1,000-car parking garage.

The garage will accommodate students with parking permits during the day, and will charge fees for nonstudent parking at night.

Trustees could use profits generated from the first phase to fund a second phase with a 100,000-square-foot academic facility and a 500-ton central plant at Park and Main. But that could change as the colleges' needs evolve, said John Strybos, facilities director for the Alamo Colleges.

Tuesday's vote will allow NRP Group to move forward with plans and seek financing, Strybos said. It will come back to the board with more detailed plans later this summer or this fall.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...OK-1384032.php

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 7:55 PM
Endless Moments...

That is just awesome. I love it...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 1:32 AM
Paradise

Small rendering I never saw before.

http://www.texasahead.org/texasrisin...xpansions.html

Wonder if it will get started soon.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 6:44 PM
Endless Moments...

That really does look awesome. Ugh but that bar noise not fun. Oh well. Looks kewl...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 6:14 PM
James

^^^ oh yeah, Luther's can get pretty loud after 10 o'clock. Imagine the drunk people on the weekends trying to maneuver in around that garage. Oh boy.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 4:47 AM

More housing coming soon near DT

Quote:
Small rendering I never saw before.

http://www.texasahead.org/texasrisin...xpansions.html

Wonder if it will get started soon.
YES

http://www.theranger.org/news/studen...8#.UBYPCZi1kuo

Quote:
Student parking revoked
Parking to be slashed throughout summer.
By J. Almendarez

Published: Friday, April 13, 2012

Mrizek also said that in late July, student parking Lots 26 and 31, surrounding Luther’s Café at 1425 N. Main Ave., will close to accommodate construction of a new parking garage and student housing. An exact date of closure has not been confirmed, but he said the date of closure may be pushed into August.
Mrizek said a portion of Lot 33 might be closed to accommodate construction, but the decision is not final.
The construction is part of the public-private partnership forged between this college and the Tobin Hill Neighborhood Association to construct retail stores, student-priority apartments, academic space, a parking garage and a central plant for heating and air conditioning.
and here is the permit....
Quote:
Application #: S1811963

Site Location: BUILDING #50 1300 SAN PEDRO AVE
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78212-0000

Application Type: COMMERCIAL SINGLE BUILDING

Application Description: The Scope of Work is for Sitework and foundation of a precast 5 story Parking garage that will contain roughly 970 parking spaces. It will be a Group S-2 Occupancy of Construction Type IB. The garage will be wrapped on two sides by a building with mixed use development. The South side of the building will abut directly to the parking garage and will consist of 4 story, R-2 residential units. The East side of the building will have roughly a 30 foot wide courtyard between the garage and a 2 story building of commercial spaces of projected A-2 Occupancies.. The residential and commercial space is under a separate contract and will be submitted at a later date. The Parking Garage shall be designed in two phases, the foundation package A/P#S1811963 and the remainder of the structure/equipment/MEP.**Tree Preservation reviews to be deferred to building package*** KCollins
**Plans to remain in SP-2 until reviews complete***
**OK to defer sidewalk review/inspections to building permit phase*** *****(23 JUL 12) CHANGE IN RDPIRC.SEE LETTER IN OLE FILE.Ayork****CUSTOMER SET READY FOR PICK UP IN L-41 AS OF 7/25/12 (RL)

Occupancy Type: COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION

Work Type: NEW

Declared Valuation: 14500000

cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 3:28 PM
Paradise

That's great! Hope it gets started.

Here are some renderings on their website.

Tobin Lofts at San Antonio College

Quote:
Tobin Lofts at San Antonio College is a public-private partnership. The complex will include student housing, apartments, a 1000 space parking garage, and retail space along Main Avenue. Student housing will be available for the fall semester 2013.

http://www.alamo.edu/sac/Tobin-Lofts/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 4:49 PM

This is great for the neighborhood, and the fact that it is getting built will have a bigger impact then when it is actually built. I expect this to have a Vistana-like affect; and by that I mean that we might get a couple of restaurants taking up shop on the lower levels, but it won't bring in the retail that people expect. I hope I am wrong and I always hope for the best with these projects, but I think that the second development to come after this will have a greater impact on the street.
No two developments are the same, but the one thing that any type of development around Crockett Park has over one being closer to downtown (Pearl, King William, etc.), is that any retail will almost be 100% geared towards the "locals" since not too many fanny packs wander that far up Main St. (yet). And some might think of that as a negative since there are no tourist dollars to help out, but that area gets help from in-town "tourists" to help out in that regard; SAC students or employees from Methodist during the day, residents that live nearby or people frequenting the bars/clubs in the later hours.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 8:02 PM
James

This is going to completely change the gay strip. I love it. I feel as though more bars should open, this could actually be a very good thing for the nightlife in the area, especially from an economic standpoint.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 3:30 PM
Endless Moments...

That is awesome to see. It will be fun watching the buildings rise. This time next year the whole area will look and feel totally different. Very Kewl...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 9:40 PM

The entire lot has been scraped down, only Luthers is left standing. And just like in Southtown (and Pearl); once ground breaks, other investment follows.
http://ogdenmodern.com/ogden/index.html
Ogden Modern.... yes, just like Cevallos Modern. Guess its only a matter of time before we see Nolan Modern, etc.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
Endless Moments...

Looks like Luthers will be moving. Across the street. I drove by to see what they had started to do. Very Exciting...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
The entire lot has been scraped down, only Luthers is left standing. And just like in Southtown (and Pearl); once ground breaks, other investment follows.
http://ogdenmodern.com/ogden/index.html
Ogden Modern.... yes, just like Cevallos Modern. Guess its only a matter of time before we see Nolan Modern, etc.
Looks like I was a bit off......
http://cherrystreetmodern.com/

came across it on next weeks HDRC agenda...

It seems that its not only Cherry street, but also Clay street modern, Uptown Modern, and CityView Modern...... I think its safe to say that the upward spiral of DT residential development has caught some serious momentum.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 5:59 PM

The project is off and running now. Looking forward to seeing it completed and seeing what impact it will have on the Gay Strip of SA.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 2:09 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

The foundation is already being excavated.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 6:09 PM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Looks like I was a bit off......
http://cherrystreetmodern.com/

came across it on next weeks HDRC agenda...

It seems that its not only Cherry street, but also Clay street modern, Uptown Modern, and CityView Modern...... I think its safe to say that the upward spiral of DT residential development has caught some serious momentum.
Now there's Westfort Villas

http://www.westfortvillas.com/

I'm curious about these developments. Definitely increased interested in downtown housing.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Now there's Westfort Villas

http://www.westfortvillas.com/

I'm curious about these developments. Definitely increased interested in downtown housing.
This ones a bit easier to pinpoint the location. This more than likely is on that empty lot on Cunningham and Brahan; just a short bike ride or stroll from the Pearl.
cake and keep it, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio