HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 9:05 PM

San Antonio Tricentennial

If this already exists, feel free to remove it, but I didn't see one.

With the new year comes the 300th birthday of San Antonio. We could use this thread to document Tricentennial events and post reviews of any attended.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 9:08 PM

From the Rivard Report

https://therivardreport.com/new-orle...ricentennials/

Some good points made here.

Amid the finger-pointing and reviews over the city’s Tricentennial Commission’s practices and programming following last week’s sudden departure of CEO Edward Benavides, it should not be forgotten that San Antonio has a great story to tell the world.

A leadership change at this late juncture – less than 45 days before the New Year’s Eve fireworks – is a serious setback. The commission’s insider sponsorship deal with KSAT-TV first reported by the San Antonio Express-News is a problem unlikely to go away, and the musical acts signed up for the big New Year’s Eve party have been met with yawns.

The eleventh-hour crisis, however, is an opportunity for Mayor Ron Nirenberg to direct an overdue course correction, reinvigorate the Tricentennial Commission leadership, and use his position to build confidence with citizens and with business, cultural, and community leaders.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 1:34 AM
James

I hope there is a course correction because this was some poorly done leadership for sure. Which upsets me.

I have a friend that works for the city and we talk about how this should have been planned at least 5 years out. It makes me sad as this could have been MUCH bigger.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
https://therivardreport.com/new-orle...ricentennials/

Some good points made here.

Amid the finger-pointing and reviews over the city’s Tricentennial Commission’s practices and programming following last week’s sudden departure of CEO Edward Benavides, it should not be forgotten that San Antonio has a great story to tell the world.

A leadership change at this late juncture – less than 45 days before the New Year’s Eve fireworks – is a serious setback. The commission’s insider sponsorship deal with KSAT-TV first reported by the San Antonio Express-News is a problem unlikely to go away, and the musical acts signed up for the big New Year’s Eve party have been met with yawns.

The eleventh-hour crisis, however, is an opportunity for Mayor Ron Nirenberg to direct an overdue course correction, reinvigorate the Tricentennial Commission leadership, and use his position to build confidence with citizens and with business, cultural, and community leaders.

Is there ANY WAY we can concentrate on the good and how special this is for the city of San Antonio??
Make it a good and resourceful thread, other than a negative, finger pointing thread. We don't want to be like the current administration!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:59 AM

I hope so

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I hope there is a course correction because this was some poorly done leadership for sure. Which upsets me.

I have a friend that works for the city and we talk about how this should have been planned at least 5 years out. It makes me sad as this could have been MUCH bigger.
Hopefully with the truth coming out, we can correct somewhat, but I fear the best of what this could be, planning wise, has passed us by. Unfortunately, this seems to be turning out to be a party for the powerful in the city, and the citizens left out.

Again, the citizens of this great city are an afterthought, and the powerful are throwing a party for themselves.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:06 AM

That's what this thead is about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Is there ANY WAY we can concentrate on the good and how special this is for the city of San Antonio??
Make it a good and resourceful thread, other than a negative, finger pointing thread. We don't want to be like the current administration!
The users of this forum will dictate the direction of this thread. As it should be.

The fact is, there has been corruption in the planning of the Tricentennial. That does not have to be the theme, but to ignore it is just stupid. San Antonio has ignored "stupid" for far too long. Time to call them out.

I will not ignore the blatant abuse in our local government just to make you feel good.

This thread is open to the good, the bad, and the subjective. All comments are welcome.

ETA: If you only concentrate on the "good", you never improve. To acknowledge ones shortcomings opens the path to improvement. Let's not fall into that trap.

BTW, how did I make this a "negative" thread? I referenced one article. Take from it what you will.

Last edited by Restless 1; Nov 21, 2017 at 6:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
The users of this forum will dictate the direction of this thread. As it should be.

The fact is, there has been corruption in the planning of the Tricentennial. That does not have to be the theme, but to ignore it is just stupid. San Antonio has ignored "stupid" for far too long. Time to call them out.

I will not ignore the blatant abuse in our local government just to make you feel good.

This thread is open to the good, the bad, and the subjective. All comments are welcome.

ETA: If you only concentrate on the "good", you never improve. To acknowledge ones shortcomings opens the path to improvement. Let's not fall into that trap.

BTW, how did I make this a "negative" thread? I referenced one article. Take from it what you will.

I blame the current administration for the way people are acting these days!
Won't dictate me, though!
Make it a GREAT day!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:26 AM

More info

More information about NYE for the Tricentennial:

https://therivardreport.com/tricente...party-details/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
More information about NYE for the Tricentennial:

https://therivardreport.com/tricente...party-details/
REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar? That's the best they could get?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar? That's the best they could get?
Seems to be the common reaction.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:23 PM

What's wrong? They seem like the perfect acts to celebrate San Antonio's 265th anniversary!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio