HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
Nobody is going to take us over.

The fact that Corndogger thinks that Washington would be more responsive to Alberta's temper tantrums than Ottawa has been is absolutely hilarious. But I suppose that's the new party line in Putin's troll factory so he dutifully obeys.
What a response. Thanks for joining the others in displaying your stupidity.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
I'd much prefer Britain if we have to be taken over. Same form of government and head of state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
Nobody is going to take us over.
In theory that happened a long time ago and was never reversed - the monarch of England is still the head of state of Canada.

In practice, could the Queen/King of England use their royal powers to make a Canadian pipeline happen though? They'd never do it, of course, but... legally, they could, right?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
If your definition of being a successful country is not importing any oil, then I'm afraid you will be disappointed. The USA imported 9 million barrels a day of oil last year (mostly from Canada!), while also exporting. Exactly the same as what Canada does. So please tell me, why is it bad for Canada to import oil, but not America?
The U.S. imports Canadian oil because they can get it at a nice discount thanks to our federal government doing everything possible to prevent us from having more than one market. The U.S. then turns around and ships that same oil to other markets and makes a huge profit on it. If Canada could do the same I'd be in favor but we can't. The oil we import from the U.S. is not discounted and neither is any of the other oil. That's why I said using our own oil is not subsidized. That's a fact and should be obvious.

I'm not against importing oil from friendly sources but that's not always possible nor in the amounts that might be needed. If there's another OPEC oil embargo Canada would not be the only nation targeted. That would be your 0.001% situation. You also have to factor in how much more energy places like China are using compared to 1973/1974. Even if we could import oil from other places during an embargo it would cost a fortune and have a huge impact on the economy. It would be a lot worse than what happened back then.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
In theory that happened a long time ago and was never reversed - the monarch of England is still the head of state of Canada.

In practice, could the Queen/King of England use their royal powers to make a Canadian pipeline happen though? They'd never do it, of course, but... legally, they could, right?
The constitution already gives the feds the power to push through pipelines.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
No, you're acting like we should shape our national policy around 0.001% scenarios. Meanwhile ignoring things like climate change.
You sound like a foreign affairs advisor to Justin.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Honestly America or China should just invade and take us over now, we obviously can't take care of ourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I totally agree that America should take us over.
Now all Canadians (or at least posters here) can see you two for what you really are, but I think we have all know this for quite some time.

Thanks for making it officially clear to everyone though; much appreciated

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Holy fuck! I sound stupid?
Yes, you clearly have no idea how stupid and moronic you sound. But thanks again in asking for our constrictive feedback

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Now all Canadians (or at least posters here) can see you two for what you really are, but I think we have all know this for quite some time.

Thanks for making it officially clear to everyone though; much appreciated
Rich statement coming from someone who pines daily to be a slave of Britain. I on the other hand want to be part of a nation that can take care of itself and isn't run by a bunch of idiots more concerned about nonissues such as gender balance in cabinet than the well-being of all citizens. Don't be surprised if most Canadians agree with me.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Rich statement coming from someone who pines daily to be a slave of Britain. I on the other hand want to be part of a nation that can take care of itself and isn't run by a bunch of idiots more concerned about nonissues such as gender balance in cabinet than the well-being of all citizens. Don't be surprised if most Canadians agree with me.
And another self-righteous comment from Doggystyle in proclaiming most Canadians would agree with him. Again, you are showing your stupidity and arrogance.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Yes, you clearly have no idea how stupid and moronic you sound. But thanks again in asking for our feedback
When you guys have no idea what you're talking about how you can say that I'm stupid and moronic? I would be truly embarrassed to keep arguing over something I have no knowledge about. Pinus, did you have your mom go bitch to your teachers to have your marks raised so you wouldn't be in school twice as long as other students? I have a feeling that happened and that you're suffering from grade inflation as a consequence. Others here clearly suffered from it as well. Thank God that ridiculous practice didn't exist when I went to school! We earned our marks! Pinus, let me when you've enrolled in some upgrading courses. Maybe then we can engage in debates where you're at least somewhat up to speed on the topic. Until then I'll look elsewhere.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
When you guys have no idea what you're talking about how you can say that I'm stupid and moronic? I would be truly embarrassed to keep arguing over something I have no knowledge about. Pinus, did you have your mom go bitch to your teachers to have your marks raised so you wouldn't be in school twice as long as other students? I have a feeling that happened and that you're suffering from grade inflation as a consequence. Others here clearly suffered from it as well. Thank God that ridiculous practice didn't exist when I went to school! We earned our marks! Pinus, let me when you've enrolled in some upgrading courses. Maybe then we can engage in debates where you're at least somewhat up to speed on the topic. Until then I'll look elsewhere.
You will have to look south of the border if you want a majority of people to agree with your point of view. Thankfully Canadians have enough common sense to see through your thinly veiled attempts (until today, that is) to promote an American annexation of Canada. It's beyond ridiculous how much you want align this country's morals and values with those of the US. You are someone that wants to tear this country apart, and quite frankly, you are an enemy of this country that truly needs to be kept in line.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

Our land is freehold and the idea of freehold was that it belongs to the crown. No idea how that works in a modern context.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
The U.S. imports Canadian oil because they can get it at a nice discount thanks to our federal government doing everything possible to prevent us from having more than one market. The U.S. then turns around and ships that same oil to other markets and makes a huge profit on it. If Canada could do the same I'd be in favor but we can't. The oil we import from the U.S. is not discounted and neither is any of the other oil. That's why I said using our own oil is not subsidized. That's a fact and should be obvious.

I'm not against importing oil from friendly sources but that's not always possible nor in the amounts that might be needed. If there's another OPEC oil embargo Canada would not be the only nation targeted. That would be your 0.001% situation. You also have to factor in how much more energy places like China are using compared to 1973/1974. Even if we could import oil from other places during an embargo it would cost a fortune and have a huge impact on the economy. It would be a lot worse than what happened back then.
Let's think your scenario through shall we? So OPEC has decided to stop exporting oil to the entire west? We'll ignore the fact this would damage them more than us, and pretend that no member states break the embargo. What would happen? Oil prices would spike, but there would still be oil outside North America that could be imported. And better still, there's still more than enough oil being produced in the USA and Canada to supply all our needs. Canada will supply all that it is efficient to do so within Canada, while exporting the balance to the USA, while the USA does the same, exporting to Canada.

The price paid by Canadians, Americans, and everyone else would be more in this scenario, but that's it. And guess what, in this supposed nightmare scenario, Alberta would profit handsomely.

Please, critique this. I'd love to hear your analysis. This scenario certainly does not justify banning oil imports, having the government build pipelines or whatever other protectionist policies you have in mind.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Let's think your scenario through shall we? So OPEC has decided to stop exporting oil to the entire west? We'll ignore the fact this would damage them more than us, and pretend that no member states break the embargo. What would happen? Oil prices would spike, but there would still be oil outside North America that could be imported. And better still, there's still more than enough oil being produced in the USA and Canada to supply all our needs. Canada will supply all that it is efficient to do so within Canada, while exporting the balance to the USA, while the USA does the same, exporting to Canada.

The price paid by Canadians, Americans, and everyone else would be more in this scenario, but that's it. And guess what, in this supposed nightmare scenario, Alberta would profit handsomely.

Please, critique this. I'd love to hear your analysis. This scenario certainly does not justify banning oil imports, having the government build pipelines or whatever other protectionist policies you have in mind.
Could alberta get enough oil by train to the east? And what happens to all the other stuff we ship East by train.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:43 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Could alberta get enough oil by train to the east? And what happens to all the other stuff we ship East by train.
Read what he wrote first. Any lack of capacity to ship oil out east would be replaced what comes from the south (United States). Alberta would then ship to the United States to feed the refineries there.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:57 AM

Quote:
If there's another OPEC oil embargo Canada would not be the only nation targeted. That would be your 0.001% situation. You also have to factor in how much more energy places like China are using compared to 1973/1974.
In 1973 we didn't have electric cars as a readily available option. If we ever see another oil shortage the driveways and roads will just irreversibly fill with Teslas, Leafs, Bolts, etc. literally overnight, business will continue as usual, and OPEC countries will have simply committed economic suicide (to the benefit of the planet's health.)

(In fact, this transition is already happening at a good pace even with oil being still cheap and plentiful... pricier oil would only accelerate it.)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:58 AM

Quote:
How would that help to achieve energy security?
How would leaving multi-national energy companies in control of our vital resources be better for national energy security?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:00 AM

Quote:
You sound like a foreign affairs advisor to Justin.
Dumb insults when you have no facts, as expected.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:16 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
The constitution already gives the feds the power to push through pipelines.
Yes, although there is really is nothing to be "pushed through". it is totally in their jurisdiction. Provincial governments have no more say in the matter than they do over whether we go to war.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Yes, although there is really is nothing to be "pushed through". it is totally in their jurisdiction. Provincial governments have no more say in the matter than they do over whether we go to war.
This is legallly accurate. Politically, however, ....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada