HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post

One last thing. Here's a cool pic of dt from the tourism website, without River Landing. I was thinking, if the First Nations Bank and MNP buildings, etc., had built their parkades under their office floors (but still above ground) like many offices have in Regina, our skyline would be far more rocking - and would've saved space for future development and density. We'd have that tiny cluster of 7-9-9 that looks so 'nice' while crossing the Broadway Bridge become something like 10-14-15! Look at the following picture with that in mind!>)

(And of course my ultimate Saskatoon peeve - Scotia Centre should've built one 22 story building instead of 2 at 11fls, and saved the Capitol Theatre. Yea, right.)

https://www.tourismsaskatoon.com/pla...s/quick-facts/

...since when is the drinking age 19? It used to be 18.
A couple comments from me:

I certainly agree that another 3 stories of height for the buildings mentioned would definitely make a difference in their aesthetic appeal, but the relatively cheap price of land in downtown Saskatoon makes it more economical to has surface parking beside a "tower" than even an above ground parkade. Also, above ground parkades do tend to add a bit of a disconnect to the flow of a building between an occupied, often retail, main floor and the parkade levels above. Keeping that main level dry can also be problematic.

I hadn't thought that the Scotia Centre towers looked so dumpy but they certainly do from that angle.

Lastly, the legal drinking age in Sask has been 19 for about 40 years or so....

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:19 PM

I think, as part of the downtown arena/convention centre conversation, that a parkade or underground parking should be part of the package. If it cannot be constructed as part of the arena facility, then it should be constructed on one of the 'considered sites' that ends up being not chosen.

A parkade on the periphery of the downtown would be an asset, allowing easy access into and out of and being close enough to the services and amenities of the downtown core.

You can make parkades look have decent if you try!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:05 PM

Saskatoon’s new children’s museum set to open Friday

by Dominick Lucyk
650 CKOM
June 25, 2019

Just in time for summer vacation, the Nutrien Wonderhub children’s museum is opening June 28.

It’s located at the former Mendel Art Gallery at 950 Spadina Crescent East.

Amanda McReynolds Doran, the museum’s executive director, said the museum’s focus is a mix of fun and learning.

A giant, hanging climbing area for children at Nutrien’s Wonderhub. (Dominick Lucyk/650 CKOM)

“There’s so much that kids are capable of that we as parents and caregivers don’t know. So, this is a place that unlocks that hidden potential, and lets them explore and discover who they might be,” she told 650 CKOM.

Kids will be allowed to touch and interact with everything at the museum. Displays include a climbing area, a miniature town, places to make art and music, a simulated potash mine and more.

[........]

Read more:
https://www.ckom.com/2019/06/25/new-...o-open-friday/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:10 PM

^^^^^^^^^^

My family and I participated in a sneak preview of the Nutrien Wonderhub last weekend.

It is spectacular.

Truly a world class facility that will draw people from near and far.

The proponents and organizers of the museum should be immensely proud of what they've built.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Any guesses on which sites the library eyes have fallen upon? The estimated 80mil cost could build a purdy nice place, especially with the extra 20mil over budget they'll go. Doh!

We should all google the downtown core, speculate and draw up a list of sites, then vote on it. The winner gets...an Irish coffee float at a downtown pub? A big gulp at a dt 7-11? Who knows? Just farting around, as usual. Cheers!

Where do you think the new central library will be built?
1. Old STC Bus terminal
2. Toys are Us site
3. Corner of 2nd Ave and 24th St. (Old Bay Parkade)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
1. Old STC Bus terminal
2. Toys are Us site
3. Corner of 2nd Ave and 24th St. (Old Bay Parkade)
Interesting. Not the current site? I guess the footprint is small so they'd have to build up. Hope they do something like the Calgary library (albeit a smaller version) - spectacular building!

I don't think they could do the bus terminal as that has already been sold and is under renovation (for a restaurant? can't remember).

How about something in North Downtown (my guess) or even the Caswell Hill bus barns?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:13 AM

Saskatoon's cranes

The Monarch

Baydo on Broadway

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:16 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:26 PM

edit

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:46 PM

How about library an empty lot across from the Bess

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 3:54 PM

Just saw this development in The Spaces mag delivered with paper today. It is a resort development out at Blackstrap that includes a 4 season event centre and spa. Apparently the golf course is completed(?) and first round of lot sales and builds completed.

Looks pretty sweet!

http://lakesidegolfresort.ca/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Just saw this development in The Spaces mag delivered with paper today. It is a resort development out at Blackstrap that includes a 4 season event centre and spa. Apparently the golf course is completed(?) and first round of lot sales and builds completed.

Looks pretty sweet!

http://lakesidegolfresort.ca/
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lBmIk_...me_continue=16

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 2:47 PM

edit

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 3:00 PM

The lake does have its issues with algae in the mid-summer months, but it is well used in all seasons already for boating, sailing, fishing and ice fishing/x-country skiing.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Blackstrap Lake actually looks pretty awesome. Why hasn't it been colonized by Saskatonians in the past? Is there something in the water? It even has a hill! Damn! We always went an hour north of Prince Albert as kids. This lake is obviously about to explode in popularity...but who owns the land? Get your checkbooks ready and buy it up! Wherever you can! It's a Saskatoon goldrush to Blackstrap happening!>)
This gives me flashbacks to the scammer that tried to reopen the ski hill a few years back.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:32 PM

No scam...went out on Sunday to take a look. Nine holes of the golf course are completed and irrigation started for the grass. Two show home units have been constructed. It is still early, but at least there are actual indicators of work and commitment to the project. There were quite a few people who were there for 'open house' when we drove out.

This will be an interesting one to follow...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
No scam...went out on Sunday to take a look. Nine holes of the golf course are completed and irrigation started for the grass. Two show home units have been constructed. It is still early, but at least there are actual indicators of work and commitment to the project. There were quite a few people who were there for 'open house' when we drove out.

This will be an interesting one to follow...
I was talking specifically about Ricopedra's mention of the old ski-hill. It's a shame it went under.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:21 PM

Yes, I realized that....thought the same thing as I was driving out there this weekend. Maybe if this resort development takes off, there might be interest in a ski hill again.

I just wanted to clarify for other users on here, that it appears the lakeside golf resort is a for real deal.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:21 PM

Does anyone know what is happening with the (Sandman?) hotel project at Lorne and Circle? It looks like construction has been abandoned with it partially finished, or is it just moving ahead at a crawl? Is it tied up in insurance claim stuff? Financial trouble?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, I realized that....thought the same thing as I was driving out there this weekend. Maybe if this resort development takes off, there might be interest in a ski hill again.

I just wanted to clarify for other users on here, that it appears the lakeside golf resort is a for real deal.
A few of us mountain bikers mentioned it would be a great idea to convert the hill into a mountain bike park for the summer and then switch it to skiing-snowboarding for the winter. Maybe one day....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan