HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #421  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:30 PM
alittle1 alittle1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Just out of curiosity, which is the bridge to nowhere east of St. Annes?
On the old Dawson Trail road just as it enters Sandilands Provincial Forest, its off the south side of the road about 150 yards over the Brokenhead River. Nice approach on either side, but no bridge. Paid for by the citizens of Manitoba.

This was part of the roadway that was to provide access to the Hadishville area for the purpose of bringing cordwood into Winnipeg from the other side of the 'big swamp'. The original Dawson trail headed S/E towards Rainy River and Sioux Narrows, Ontario. Early French settlers were plagued with crossing the big swamp and the next generation of users rallied for an improvement of the trail. In order to gain the French vote, the opposition promised to construct a road through the area. A contract was awarded to Roblin's company, but the bridge was never built, and the rest is history.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #422  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:59 PM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
On the old Dawson Trail road just as it enters Sandilands Provincial Forest, its off the south side of the road about 150 yards over the Brokenhead River. Nice approach on either side, but no bridge. Paid for by the citizens of Manitoba.

This was part of the roadway that was to provide access to the Hadishville area for the purpose of bringing cordwood into Winnipeg from the other side of the 'big swamp'. The original Dawson trail headed S/E towards Rainy River and Sioux Narrows, Ontario. Early French settlers were plagued with crossing the big swamp and the next generation of users rallied for an improvement of the trail. In order to gain the French vote, the opposition promised to construct a road through the area. A contract was awarded to Roblin's company, but the bridge was never built, and the rest is history.
Very interesting. As we've mentioned before, please write a memoir or book about Winnipeg's political wheelings and dealings from back in the day. I love your stories about Bernie Wolfe doing this, Stanley Knowles doing that, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #423  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:13 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Called and logged my complaint...traffic engineers will be notified and look into the issue. Hopefully MIT traffic engineers respond to light timing issues faster than the city ones do.
I would guess because there are less provincial traffic signals and they are more spread out it may take just as long if not longer for them to take a look.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #424  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:25 PM
The Unknown Poster The Unknown Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 858
Im not sure what they are doing at the Perimeter/Waverly intersection. I know Northbound Waverly will be no-more (and is currently blocked) as a result of Kenaston at Perimetre opening. But they have Waverly south of the Perimeter closed too and appear to be ripping up both lanes.

I assume this is to make a larger intersection for traffic turning onto Waverly. It just seems like its going to be bad for traffic flow to have two lighted intersections so close together.

Also, is Waverly going to be extended to Brady in the near term? And if so, whats the plan with Brady. I actually use Brady in the winter (until it snows since the city barely plows it). I saw one map indicating Brady would be closed and no longer end at Perimeter....?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #425  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:08 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,390
This is what's going on with Brady Road area. Brady will not connect to 101. You'll need to use the new PR 330 intersection, which from what I hear is completed or nearing completion? Service road along 101 is now extending to Waverley.



Waverley south of 101 is being widened to have a east turning lane and west turning lane. With a deceleration lane approaching Waverley from the west. no acceleration lane for vehicles travelling to the east from Waverley.



Waverley north of 101.




And no I don't work for Stantec, haha.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #426  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:24 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,390
Not sure if it was posted on this thread, or just in the Winnipeg Roads thread. PTH 59N and PTH 101 Interchange project is going ahead.

Direct link to PDF is here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #427  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:28 PM
Reignman Reignman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
^ lol, three lights within what, maybe a mile?? Truckers heading to and from Centerport to 75 will just love that. Go Centerport!

This place is a mess. We allocate hundreds of millions to build new interchanges (CCW, 59/101 and McGillivary) to eliminate traffic lights then go ahead and approve two new lighted intersections. Freakin unbelievable
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #428  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:36 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,390
You got it dude!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #429  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:33 PM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
^ lol, three lights within what, maybe a mile?? Truckers heading to and from Centerport to 75 will just love that. Go Centerport!

This place is a mess. We allocate hundreds of millions to build new interchanges (CCW, 59/101 and McGillivary) to eliminate traffic lights then go ahead and approve two new lighted intersections. Freakin unbelievable
Issue here is some of the perimeter hwy is in city limits and the rest provincial. So it's a hodgepodge of a system.

People from LaSalle should be paying for a proper interchange. They are the ones who skipped out on paying city taxes. Same as Oakbank. Even Oakbluff the way it's growing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #430  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:07 AM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,188
Parts of it may be in Winnipeg's boundry's but both highway's 100 and 101 were built and still maintined by Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation and not the City of Winnipeg.

The only thing the city looked after was Lagamodier Blvd before the east section of 101 was complete, and MIT paid for the inital construction by the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #431  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:12 AM
Reignman Reignman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Issue here is some of the perimeter hwy is in city limits and the rest provincial. So it's a hodgepodge of a system.

People from LaSalle should be paying for a proper interchange. They are the ones who skipped out on paying city taxes. Same as Oakbank. Even Oakbluff the way it's growing.
Agreed. One thing I'd like to know is...why could Waverley south of the perimeter not be realigned to continue NW and meet up with Kenaston?? Then cut Waverley off from 100 entirely and eliminate a light. Makes too much sense for traffic light happy Manitoba I suppose..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #432  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:47 AM
Danny D Oh Danny D Oh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
^ lol, three lights within what, maybe a mile?? Truckers heading to and from Centerport to 75 will just love that. Go Centerport!

This place is a mess. We allocate hundreds of millions to build new interchanges (CCW, 59/101 and McGillivary) to eliminate traffic lights then go ahead and approve two new lighted intersections. Freakin unbelievable
Don't forget about the mess that Highway 1 is through Headingley! Net effect on traffic flow is probably negative even with Centreport.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #433  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 1:00 AM
Spocket's Avatar
Spocket Spocket is online now
Keep yo pimp hand strong
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Changchun , China
Posts: 3,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post

People from LaSalle should be paying for a proper interchange. They are the ones who skipped out on paying city taxes. Same as Oakbank. Even Oakbluff the way it's growing.
They already do. That's what taxes are for and their tax money goes to improving the Perimeter. It may technically be a provincial highway for the most part but it really only serves Winnipeg. So why are people in Brandon and Churchill paying for Winnipeg's infrastructure needs ? Because modern societies have governments that look out for the needs of jurisdictions that extend beyond our back yards.
__________________
Giving you a reason to drink and drive since 1975.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #434  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:03 AM
Reignman Reignman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
They already do. That's what taxes are for and their tax money goes to improving the Perimeter. It may technically be a provincial highway for the most part but it really only serves Winnipeg. So why are people in Brandon and Churchill paying for Winnipeg's infrastructure needs ? Because modern societies have governments that look out for the needs of jurisdictions that extend beyond our back yards.
Because people in Winnipeg are also paying for Brandon and Churchill's infrastructure needs. The problem with people living in bedroom communities around the city is that they may pay provincial taxes towards the perimeter but they pay very little toward the upkeep of Winnipeg roads and infrastructure, which is where a high percentage of those residents shop and work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #435  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:43 AM
mattpa's Avatar
mattpa mattpa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Steinbach
Posts: 145
it annoys me actually around 65 percent of the province live in winnipeg yet we get nothing for the goverment its bs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #436  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:30 AM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is offline
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Kingdom of Skeletor
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
it annoys me actually around 65 percent of the province live in winnipeg yet we get nothing for the goverment its bs
65% of the population is based in Winnipeg, yet ~40% of eligible voters in the whole province made the NDP stay at Broadway for another 4 years.

This is a discussion for another topic, but we're all living in a house of mirrors with most of us not realizing it. The powers that be that are sitting in each of their respective levels of government, thanks to the power of democracy that unfortunately, the rest of the ~60% of the eligible population didn't even bother to exercise their right in democracy.

I'll go to bed now...

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #437  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:48 AM
cslusarc cslusarc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 155
PTH 59N/101 Interchange Update:

As you may be aware, I live with my parents in one of those 10 homes being expropriated. We got some good news this week. The Province's desired expropriation date has slipped even further. Jared Moroz, a Manager (Land Acquisition Services; Appraisals and Consulting Services) with the Crown Lands and Property Agency, notified us earlier this week that the new possession date is August 1st 2015, something I believe is more realistic.

As things go, I will keep you guys here updated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #438  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:04 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,390
That's good news, a little more time for you. I wonder if they've refined there construction schedule/staging which gave you more time. Maybe the March date they gave you before was a blanket statement for all affected.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #439  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:13 PM
The Unknown Poster The Unknown Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Agreed. One thing I'd like to know is...why could Waverley south of the perimeter not be realigned to continue NW and meet up with Kenaston?? Then cut Waverley off from 100 entirely and eliminate a light. Makes too much sense for traffic light happy Manitoba I suppose..

Good point. So many people in St Norbert and south use Waverly. We will now have to drive over to Kenaston or Pembina. The long term plan is for Kenaston to connect with Waverly though isnt it? As part of some sort of by-pass?

Also, its a shame they dont coordinate construction plans. With Waverly closed, there is basically one way to get out of St Norbert - Pembina HWY which is down to one lane at that location. Long lines in the morning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #440  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:20 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,474
There is likely a reason that the Global Transportation Hub (In Regina) with access to it soon via a 4-lane Grade separated highway with access to Highways 1 and 11 are going to be a more logical choice. The only really BIG plus Centreport has is the fact you have direct connection to Interstate 29 (albeit full of obstacles) where we only have highway 39 a two-lane highway connecting to a similar road in the US.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:07 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.