HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
hahaha...paradise...a city. makes me laugh.
exactly!! lol that's why we need these very fast growing areas to develop in a much better way however it is a smaller area than CBS and more dense (it's actually not that different than Mount Pearl now a days) so you could see this coming up in the near future.. IMO they have a better case than CBS for city status.. however they need more services and at the very least some transit.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 11:54 AM

As I was saying before, I think the ORR needs a new exit to deal with the Paradise traffic backlog. Probably a couple off-ramps with a new road under the ORR to connect Donovan Terrace and Evergreen Village.

http://goo.gl/maps/dX8vq

but who knows, there are probably 5 new subdivisions in there by now.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
As I was saying before, I think the ORR needs a new exit to deal with the Paradise traffic backlog. Probably a couple off-ramps with a new road under the ORR to connect Donovan Terrace and Evergreen Village.

http://goo.gl/maps/dX8vq

but who knows, there are probably 5 new subdivisions in there by now.
your link just goes to paradise, if you want us to see a specific area you went to on the map you have to click on the link icon next to the print icon and copy the URL link and post that

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
your link just goes to paradise, if you want us to [see a specific area you went to on the map you have to click on the link icon next to the print icon and copy the URL link and post that
http://goo.gl/maps/DZED2

Here is one I moved a little bit. I kind of intended to show the surrounding area. but the area in the middle of the screen is where I think a new road should go to connect to the ORR. It could run almost parallel with Topsail road and connect up somewhere in Paradise.

Should i be putting this in the concept thread maybe instead of here?

Edit

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
http://goo.gl/maps/DZED2

Here is one I moved a little bit. I kind of intended to show the surrounding area. but the area in the middle of the screen is where I think a new road should go to connect to the ORR. It could run almost parallel with Topsail road and connect up somewhere in Paradise.

Should i be putting this in the concept thread maybe instead of here?

Edit
and then we run into the problem of the fact that that area is in the St. John's municipality lol .. Paradise would most likely NOT want pay for a road in another municipality and then the argument would be that the provincial government would have to because it's between municipalities blah blah blah .. maybe they would work together but St. John's wouldn't want to maintain the road ... see the issue?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:20 PM

However SOMETHING needs to happen and it needs to be a regional effort

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
and then we run into the problem of the fact that that area is in the St. John's municipality lol .. Paradise would most likely NOT want pay for a road in another municipality and then the argument would be that the provincial government would have to because it's between municipalities blah blah blah .. maybe they would work together but St. John's wouldn't want to maintain the road ... see the issue?
Oh I totally realize that...it will likely never happen.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
However SOMETHING needs to happen and it needs to be a regional effort
Agreed. Paradise should not be allowed to grow at the rate it is without the proper road infrastructure. Anyways, I could rant all day about this.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Oh I totally realize that...it will likely never happen.
it's so unfortunate! ... we need some type of regional council or organizer group or something lol

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
it's so unfortunate! ... we need some type of regional council or organizer group or something lol
Is the Paradise municipal election this year as well? That bonehead of a mayor needs to go ASAP!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Is the Paradise municipal election this year as well? That bonehead of a mayor needs to go ASAP!
All municipal elections happen at the same time All across the province

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:44 PM

Talked to the mayor wiseman a few months back, long term plan (10 years possibly) could see trails end extended to join with the ORR between thorburn and the topsail rd interchange (near what google calls cochrane pond). Idealy we'd see a paradise bypass between that location and st. thomas line (or at least ending near it). Off ramps could head to trails end, or other streets that extend off of paradise road.

Still not solving the mess on topsail rd now. I'm hoping the karwood drive upgrade does the trick. Came that way this morning, (around 8:20 after the school parking lot had cleared out) and it was much quicker.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:46 PM

lets just build a skytrain system by pass the whole shebang!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwalsh View Post
Talked to the mayor wiseman a few months back, long term plan (10 years possibly) could see trails end extended to join with the ORR between thorburn and the topsail rd interchange (near what google calls cochrane pond). Idealy we'd see a paradise bypass between that location and st. thomas line (or at least ending near it). Off ramps could head to trails end, or other streets that extend off of paradise road.

Still not solving the mess on topsail rd now. I'm hoping the karwood drive upgrade does the trick. Came that way this morning, (around 8:20 after the school parking lot had cleared out) and it was much quicker.
That is great to hear that I am not the first one to think of something like this.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:33 PM

Also, I think there should be another access from the CBS bypass road (Route 2) to somewhere in Topsail or Paradise. I was hoping they would connect the end of the Kenmount Extention to it, but it isn't looking like it.

There should be something connecting Route 2 to Topsail Road to the west of Octagon Pond and Rocky Pond:

http://goo.gl/maps/jXBFi

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:40 PM

Speak of the devil!

Paradise Attempting Fix on Traffic Problems

Quote:
The Town of Paradise is attempting to fix persistent traffic problems at the Topsail Road overpass. The area has seen regular bottlenecks and traffic congestion since construction on the new overpass got underway, and has continued since its completion. Mayor Ralph Wiseman says the problem is the turning lane onto Topsail Road, and he says eliminating left-hand turns on Topsail Road would take care of some of the congestion. Wiseman says they're looking at a right-hand turn on Bruce Street to access the Outer Ring Road.

He says it would be similar to accessing Columbus Drive via Freshwater, Crosbie and Wishingwell roads.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=30323

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, the cure for that would have been to not build Paradise. Or to have built it smarter...

But you rushed to cash in on the boom by developing as many cookie-cutter subdivisions as you could, people were stupid enough to buy them, and now you get what was absolutely inevitable. Enjoy it. It's your new suburban lifestyle. And it's only going to get worse in the short term...

EDIT: I realize I may seem to react disproportionately to suburban sprawl but... we were, by North American standards, an exceptionally densely-populated small city. We boomed at a time when people already knew better than to construct what we now have in Mount Pearl, Paradise, and elsewhere. We squandered a chance to build a truly world-class small city, to put even Scandinavian planners to shame, and decided instead to erect the same shit mainland cities have been trying to CORRECT for two decades already. Instead of leading, we're still building, in 2013, what, when completed, will set us 20 years behind. It's an absolute disgrace. It's one of the biggest wasted opportunities in our island's history. I mean, our council still can't decide if new developments should be forced to have any ****ing trees. Come on, b'ys... pathetic.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:49 PM

The town appears to have absolutely no planning, which is sad for "the fastest growing community in Atlantic Canada. Horrible road systems, the traffic lights aren't timed correctly, no decent supermarket, no high school, no fire hall, no shopping, etc.. The town is basically a one road town with nothing but a few shops, an industrial park and residential subdivisions.

What could be the nicest part of Paradise (Octagon Pond) is ruined by all the new industrial development surrounding it and the giant ACAN building.

Anyways, I have to shut myself up now before I go on too long of a rant on this subject....haha

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:56 PM

Give me a grocery store, fire hall (something in the works), hockey arena (should be finished in 2 years), swimming pool and I'll have no other reason to travel on the east side of the ORR besides heading to MUN to work. Oh, maybe throw in a canadian tire too haha.

By the way those traffic lights (i'm assuming you mean the ones under the ORR on topsail rd) are gov of nl property unfortunatley.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 6:46 PM

New hotel on Kenmount Rd to be a Sandman Signature

From City of St.John's website:

Application for 227 229 to 245 Kenmount Road
Start Date: Mon, 2013/02/11 - 4:30pm The City of St. John's is considering adopting a site-specific text amendment to the St. John’s Development Regulations which will increase the maximum allowed Building Height for the properties at Civic Numbers 227, 229 & 245 Kenmount Road from 15 metres to 25 metres under their current zoning designation of Commercial Highway (CH). The CH Zone allows a maximum Building Height of 15 metres. If approved by Council, the proposed text amendment would apply only to the properties at Civic Numbers 227, 229 & 245 Kenmount Road.

The proposed text amendment is in reference to an application submitted to the City by Pacific Coast Architecture Inc. on behalf of Northwood Properties Corp. to construct a Sandman Signature Hotel on the properties at Civic Numbers 227, 229 & 245 Kenmount Road. The hotel will be six (6) storeys (approximately 24 metres in height) containing 200 rooms, 2 restaurants, meeting and banquet rooms and one (1) future free-standing restaurant with surface parking for approximately 360 cars. As information, a hotel is a permitted use in the CH Zone. Please see the plan printed on the back of this notice which shows the location of the proposed hotel development.

Enquires on the text amendment and the hotel project may be directed to the City’s Department of Planning at (709) 576-8220 or e-mail.

The proposed text amendment will be referred for initial decision to the agenda for the Regular Meeting of Council to be held on Monday, Feb. 11, 2013. Any persons who wish to comment on this proposed text amendment to Council are requested to send their comments in writing to the City Clerk’s Department by 12 p.m., (NOON), THURSDAY, FEB. 7, 2013 in any of the following ways: (by mail: City Clerk’s Department, City of St. John’s, P.O. Box 908, St. John’s NL A1C 5M2; by fax: (709) 576 8474; or by e-mail). Any written representations received by the deadline noted will be included in the Agenda for the Regular Meeting of Council on MONDAY, Feb. 11, 2013. As information, written submissions received will become a matter of public record.

In accordance with the City’s policy on public notification, properties within a minimum radius of 150 metres of the application site for the proposed hotel development at Civic Number 227, 229 & 245 Kenmount Road are notified in writing by the City of this proposed text amendment. Notices are mailed to property owners, business owners and occupants of buildings located within the notice distribution area. Property ownership information is based on data contained in the City’s assessment roll.

http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/...-kenmount-road

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's