HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Letters to the Editor

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Demolish the rat trap

By: Letter Of The Day

Re: Blues fans rally to save Windsor (Jan. 10). Years ago, going to the Windsor Hotel was a real treat. More importantly, it was safe. I recently moved downtown and my girlfriend and I ventured out one evening. On our way home, we stopped in at the venerable Windsor Hotel. Sadly, there was no band. My query as to why not to one of the "affable" employees was met with a puzzling silence. As for the establishment itself, it reeked of urine. Our, albeit brief, experience, was genuinely disheartening. We opted for the vendor and then the nearest exit.

Unfortunately the compressor in the cooler had gone ... two weeks prior, we were told. This turned out to be somewhat of a blessing as, upon leaving this huge embarrassing failure, we were promptly accosted by what could easily be described as a mob of disorderly vagrants and were nearly panhandled out of our clothing. I've not been back. Although I did telephone once, some time later, to see if their vendor was operational. The good news, yes it was; the bad, they ran out of beer two nights before. This place is a dump. Absolutely void of any discernible quality. The sooner they level this place, the better. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Nat Smith

Winnipeg

Amen.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 3:06 PM
BANNED

Windsor not facing wrecking ball, owner says

By: Morley Walker

AN owner of the Windsor Hotel came forward on Wednesday to say the establishment has not been sold, nor is it about to be demolished.

Winnipeg businesswoman Sukhi Gill phoned the Free Press to complain about a Tuesday story reporting that a group of blues music fans have slated a rally for Saturday to help save the downtown Garry Street facility.

Gill said she had no idea where the organizers had got their information but that it was false. She admitted that the hotel was up for sale but she had not heard of any offers to purchase it.

Winnipeg hotelier Rick Penner and three partners have gone on record saying they wrote a letter of intent to a commercial realtor, offering "in excess of $1 million" for the 107-year-old facility, which once provided a bed to then-vaudevillian Charlie Chaplin.

On Wednesday Penner said that he and his partners might make another offer on the property now that they know it is still available.

Penner, who owned and operated the hotel and bar for more than 25 years until 2004, built it into a respected blues club.

Gill said she plans to continue booking live bands. Currently, she says, she employs 12 people in the 44-room hotel, beverage room and beer vendor.

Winnipeg blues singer Kathy Kennedy, who is spearheading Saturday's rally, insists she has information that the hotel has been sold, subject to conditions, and plans are to demolish the downtown music icon.

"We're going to be there," on Saturday, she said. "We want to keep this as a blues and roots venue that contributes to the cultural history of Winnipeg.

Kennedy said she is working with Heritage Winnipeg to have the hotel listed as a heritage building.

Gill said that the Windsor's manager, Russell Kozak, quit in October, but as a family friend, he has still been helping her out on the premises.

Winnipeg musician Eli Herscovitch, part of a band that played there on New Year's Eve, was pleased to hear that the hotel's fate was not sealed.

"The mood was wonderful all night long," he said. "It made a deep impression on me that in these troubled times it was so easy to shake hands, sit and talk with all kinds of folks."

morley.walker@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 5:57 PM

I'll be the first to admit that rallying to support this doesn't inspire me, however, I support the rally initiative, in so far as I think it is worth while to preserve your roots (perhaps, rehabilitate; Windsor Hotel, Metropolitan Theatre) and your past cultural identity in the face of change, providing it be economically viable. With a group willing to bid, it seems to suggest that they at least see a viability in the venerable hotel. With that being the case, it makes no sense to demolish (for blacktop reasons) a structure that holds real value.

The gentleman who wrote that 'letter of the day' need be reminded that Scotland Yard in London and Hells Kitchen in New York City, were both large and for all intents and purposes, grotesque urban plots that have both become very neat sections of their respective cities. Now, if those large plots can have a renaissance, surely there is hope for a little old House of Blues.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:49 PM
Mooderator

Does anyone have any pictures of this pleasant piss-hole?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=wind...w=31849008@N00

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 11:18 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wonder if we took the st charlse and turned it into the new house of blues if that would be a trade off?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 11:36 PM

Let's just let the market determine if a new blues venue is wanted. If there is a demand it will be met.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 11:40 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wonder if we took the st charlse and turned it into the new house of blues if that would be a trade off?
Wow! This thread is bringing up a lot of lounge and drinking memories for me. I frequented the St. Charles from roughly 1998-2004.

It'll take a lot of work to get that hotel back into shape. Here is why it closed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
In addition to the nice shots taken by Bryan which he posted a link to above, here is an interior pic that was at one time on the hotel's website:

And these two were forwarded to me, apparently found on Facebook or some such:

^^^
Mural on side of building featuring Charlie Chaplin

Too bad I don't have a pic of a band on the stage, etc.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jan 15, 2010 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 12:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aparently u can't take photos in a bar period if theres a single vlt in the place i almost got my ass tossed outa the osborn village inn cause of that what a stupidly bizzar law

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 12:55 PM
Mooderator

^ yep, gamblers and cameras are like vampires and sunlight - they do not mix.

thanks for the pictures everyone. Looks a lot like a bar I used to frequent.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 8:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i have yet been able to find such a law though

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan