HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 6:29 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ of course it can't really be that bad, seeing as that guy is not wearing any mitts...

That being said, you really have to be careful when you pee in the snowbank, because if you aren't careful, the stream will freeze all the way up, and you will literally explode.
That's how my uncle went

Actually , I often don't wear mitts in the winter if I'm just out for a few minutes. Besides , the hot water in that cup will keep his hands somewhat warm. Other than that , when he launches the coffee into the air , the surface area of the coffee is vastly expanded which , in turn , greatly reduces the time needed to fully freeze the particles. In other words , yeah , it's that bad. I would guess that the temperature at the time that video was taken would have to be in the -30 to -35 range (but that's just a guess as I say)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 11:12 PM
I am a typical

I rode my bike in -30 with 50km/h winds, the wind chill I would have experienced when you consider that riding into the wind makes it seem to be going faster would have been around -60, iirc. My ears were frozen in about 10 minutes. It's extremely painful.

I doubt a New Yorker in Winnipeg would ride a bike during such conditions though. It was around 4am, as well.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

try it in a blizzard vid it can be quite the adventure while comesuming a slurpee

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Low vacancy rate squeezes students

Last Updated: Thursday, August 6, 2009 | 9:19 AM CT Comments22Recommend4

The Canadian Press

The apartment vacancy rate in Winnipeg is at an all-time low of 0.9 per cent. (CBC)Students are likely to have a hard time finding accommodation in Winnipeg before fall classes begin.
The city's vacancy rate is 0.9 per cent, the tightest it has ever been, according the latest figures from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.
Curtis Shewchuk, property manager of Sussex Realty, which manages more than 4,000 apartment units in Winnipeg, said he knows of students knocking on the doors of buildings and asking whether anything is coming up for rent.
Many students are doubling up and getting roommates, he said, but anyone looking for a place to live Sept. 1 had best be on the case quickly as the few vacancies that remain won't last long.
The vacancy squeeze also applies in Brandon, where the rate stands at 0.1 per cent.
The CMHC figures apply for units in buildings with three apartments or more and are current as of April.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Low vacancy rate squeezes students

Last Updated: Thursday, August 6, 2009 | 9:19 AM CT Comments22Recommend4

The Canadian Press

The apartment vacancy rate in Winnipeg is at an all-time low of 0.9 per cent. (CBC)Students are likely to have a hard time finding accommodation in Winnipeg before fall classes begin.
The city's vacancy rate is 0.9 per cent, the tightest it has ever been, according the latest figures from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.
Curtis Shewchuk, property manager of Sussex Realty, which manages more than 4,000 apartment units in Winnipeg, said he knows of students knocking on the doors of buildings and asking whether anything is coming up for rent.
Many students are doubling up and getting roommates, he said, but anyone looking for a place to live Sept. 1 had best be on the case quickly as the few vacancies that remain won't last long.
The vacancy squeeze also applies in Brandon, where the rate stands at 0.1 per cent.
The CMHC figures apply for units in buildings with three apartments or more and are current as of April.
This is so true specially if you are looking for something for only the Fall term. However there are still a few good places you can find. There were at least two that I could have gone with, I almost had a deal but just after they told me to send the check for the deposit they wouldn't answer any mail or the phone, it may have been a scam, so I'll be staying with a family I'm not taking any chances.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

or someone beat u to the place but who knows still theres a shortage of places

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 8:56 AM
I am a typical

It's impossible to find apartments until May. And then it resumes being impossible in August.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 6:25 PM

In regards to the cold winters, I was once waiting for a bus with windchill in the -40's. The pain was so bad that I teared, then my eyes froze shut after a few blinks. Its true.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 5:35 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
In regards to the cold winters, I was once waiting for a bus with windchill in the -40's. The pain was so bad that I teared, then my eyes froze shut after a few blinks. Its true.

This has happened to me on many occasions, last winter being the most recent memory... The wind chill is the real killer

BTW, I've seen people wearing t-shirts in -30 c weather... Basically, I am not sure how you will handle it but for me its just suck it up and you will be fine (without getting frost bite, ect.. ect...)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 7:49 PM

I hope you enjoy Winnipeg, nycer

its an awesome city.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 10:11 PM

I lived in the old Peg for a good part of my life. Sure it may have some problems and a few things that can be annoying, but what city in the world doesn't.

I like the ole Peg and really dislike people who dump on it. It was a geat place to grow up and raise my family for many years. One thing for sure, I really miss the Jets!!!! :-(

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan