HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 8:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6
There are other things he can do besides writing the press releases, although I'm sure they'd be attention-grabbing if he did write them. Some people have conditions like dyslexia that can make spelling extremely difficult.
ya photography and give my opinion etc.

------------
so guys whats the plan then are we going to be having a meeting and figuring out are mandate etc? once we do that we should then make an atempt to get ahold of the developer of the st charles in regards to there plan and see what exactly they are doing rather then whats on a peace of paper...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 8:41 PM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer
no kidding... I don't think it would do much for downtown or any of us if it comes off as another Save Eatons group of hippies. They hurt there cause more than they helped it, as they just came off as an angry group of dreamers with little conection to reality. It was more sad than anything, and as someone who had some contacts on the project, this group was seen more as humour than serious.
Newflyer ... you make out dreamers to be bad for the City. The Save Eaton's campaign did more for downtown awareness than any previous movement the City has ever seen. I would have liked to have seen that much awareness generated when Portage Place was being developed. The real problem with the group is that they were up against a currupt machine on a project that was a fate d'complis. I've used my experience with the Save Eaton's campaign as a stepping stone for forwarding the cause of better-principled urban initiatives; this includes working on the Urban & Land-Use areas of Sustainable Winnipeg document for the City of Winnipeg, and working with the heads of Property Planning and Development on such strategies.

They were also hardly that angry (sure they were angered by the process, but not in a bad way); as per usual, during the Eaton's debate, the media focused on the one or two wing-nuts that showed up in protest. The bulk of presentations made to Council during the hearings were thoughtful, well-researched and presented by persons with more education than the entire Council committee members combined. I enjoyed every minute on the front line of that cause, and heck ... even had a one-on-one interview with Krista Erickson.

Last edited by c vist; Nov 27, 2006 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 8:46 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

kool

-----------------

but umm whats the plan then............?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 10:36 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

bump...........

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 5:08 PM

Wink

Two of us guys are interested as well (me and j.online). It sounds like something we've wished we had for a long time in 'peg. Our interests are in city planning/ urban design.

One of the key things, judging from what people are saying so far, is to have the group serve the purpose of both raising the bar with downtown design and renewal decisions (pushing an urban, livable feel), and also, like newflyer, said, attracting downtown investment (business and housing development). Design and investment need to go together in the long-run, since you don't have much a livable city without the population density to support the businesses, shops, cafes, etc.

Another key will be the partnerships we are able to form with other stakeholders in Winnipeg.
PS I like Winnipeg Urban Initiative of the names so far. I agree 'league' sounds either too much like bowling or marvel comic superheroes.

j.online has started researching different models that are out there so we can decide what elements of it would work the best for us. We propose that at some point soon, interested folks should get together and look at what model to use, what name, some basic ground rules, a mission, etc.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 5:10 PM

Two of us guys are interested as well (me and j.online). It sounds like something we've wished we had for a long time in 'peg. Our interests are in city planning/ urban design.

One of the key things, judging from what people are saying so far, is to have the group serve the purpose of both raising the bar with downtown design and renewal decisions (pushing an urban, livable feel), and also, like newflyer, said, attracting downtown investment (business and housing development). Design and investment need to go together in the long-run, since you don't have much a livable city without the population density to support the businesses, shops, cafes, etc.

Another key will be the partnerships we are able to form with other stakeholders in Winnipeg.
PS I like Winnipeg Urban Initiative of the names so far. I agree 'league' sounds either too much like bowling or marvel comic superheroes.

j.online has started researching different models that are out there so we can decide what elements of it would work the best for us. We propose that at some point soon, interested folks should get together and look at what model to use, what name, some basic ground rules, a mission, etc.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 5:11 PM

sorry 'bout the double post oops

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 7:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_dude

sounds good

do we wana meet up some time this coming week?
monday tuesday i am busy from 3-6:30
thursday i got a wpgphoto photography club thing at 7

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
sounds good

do we wana meet up some time this coming week?
monday tuesday i am busy from 3-6:30
thursday i got a wpgphoto photography club thing at 7
j.online is gonna post some info he's collected on models of urban initiatives various cities have tried. For those interested, I can see us doing some of the planning in person, but some of it we can probably do online like this. what do you guys think?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:18 AM
Dreamer

One of the best things a group like this could do right now is study Plan Winnipeg and make recommendations as a stakeholder at the up and coming hearings in 2007. Plan Winnipeg, even if it makes vague references, is the only defense that is listened to at any public zoning and variance hearings. Wouldn't it be great if PW stated items like all new retail buildings in (insert areas) are required to be mixed-use and have a density of (insert density requirements). Glen Murry took out some key downtown residential phrases in the last Plan Winnipeg review and replaced them with an "entertainment" focused agenda ... that's one of the reasons why the MTS Centre was so easy to justify.

Plan Winnipeg holds a lot of power ... and it's a great opportunity to get the public's attention.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:34 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist
One of the best things a group like this could do right now is study Plan Winnipeg and make recommendations as a stakeholder at the up and coming hearings in 2007. Plan Winnipeg, even if it makes vague references, is the only defense that is listened to at any public zoning and variance hearings. Wouldn't it be great if PW stated items like all new retail buildings in (insert areas) are required to be mixed-use and have a density of (insert density requirements). Glen Murry took out some key downtown residential phrases in the last Plan Winnipeg review and replaced them with an "entertainment" focused agenda ... that's one of the reasons why the MTS Centre was so easy to justify.

Plan Winnipeg holds a lot of power ... and it's a great opportunity to get the public's attention.
not a bad idea actualy were can we get a copy of this plan then.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 5:52 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
not a bad idea actualy were can we get a copy of this plan then.
I'm a little surprised you have not seen Plan Winnipeg 1ajs ... too much time taking pictures I guess. Here's a link to the pdf:

http://www.winnipeg.ca/services/gove...eg/default.stm

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 5:59 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
I'm a little surprised you have not seen Plan Winnipeg 1ajs ... too much time taking pictures I guess. Here's a link to the pdf:

From what I've seen, things from this plan get shelved or changed altogether. It's a good initiative, but there is no gumption to follow through with it.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 6:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

txs for the link quik glance shows its in need of updating lol

so what we wana do tare this thing apart come up with a list of things to bring up at the hearings ect...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 4:33 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

So what exactly is the vision of this group?

Are there specific things that you actually stand for? Or will it just be a "we complain about the things that we dont like and make noise in the media" group.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 2:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

well i stand for a better winnipeg.. but ya we can't just be a bunch of NIMBY'S we should come up with some sorta plan that we can use to better are city as a whole not just downtown.....

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 2:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

dam forum being slow duble post...

Last edited by 1ajs; Dec 6, 2006 at 6:50 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 7:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

been talking to a friend out in denver on msn and he was going on about surface lots and showed me a pic of denver from denverinfill.com
http://www.denverinfill.com/main_map.htm

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 9:21 PM

so, any of you initiators down for grabbing some beer late next week?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 9:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

sure

saturday dec 16 sound good? or this saturday..

Last edited by 1ajs; Dec 8, 2006 at 5:27 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan