HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 5:56 AM
PDD's Avatar
PDD PDD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 53
If this tower gets built, alongside the Thompson Hotel, it will make that area of San Antonio more desirable than ever. With all this development in close proximity, Broadway will become everything it was destined to be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:32 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
friends don't lie
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 49,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
I don't think it's possible for anything to stand out more and look awkwardly out of place than the Broadway Tower.
I actually like the Broadway Tower. I'm not crazy about residential along major arteries so much because of the hustle and bustle of the auto traffic, but the tower's design isn't bad at all. I was really glad to see it built.

By the way, I came across this older rendering of it, and I don't remember seeing this version.

http://www.viprealestate.com/blog/sa...buildings.html
__________________
In America, today, it's not that truth has lost, it's that political bias has been accepted as a legitimate answer to every issue one struggles with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 1:02 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I actually like the Broadway Tower. I'm not crazy about residential along major arteries so much because of the hustle and bustle of the auto traffic, but the tower's design isn't bad at all. I was really glad to see it built.

By the way, I came across this older rendering of it, and I don't remember seeing this version.

http://www.viprealestate.com/blog/sa...buildings.html
Wow. I definitely do not like the old rendering. The current tower has a kind of prominence along the street and it's businesses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 1:10 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If this tower gets built, alongside the Thompson Hotel, it will make that area of San Antonio more desirable than ever. With all this development in close proximity, Broadway will become everything it was destined to be.
Not to mention the renovation of the AT&T building for the new CPS HQ - though, I wish it was all glass and not just one side of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 1:55 PM
UltraDanPrime's Avatar
UltraDanPrime UltraDanPrime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 170
Agree. Definitely like the new version a lot better!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:25 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Jack! Come on man, don't be so defensive! I was just making a little fun of myself because I really like a couple buildings that most aren't to happy with. You don't like this, we get it!
I was recently criticized on another thread, so I'm making sure nothing I say gets misconstrued or taken out of context here. Thanks for making fun of yourself.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 5:23 PM
UltraDanPrime's Avatar
UltraDanPrime UltraDanPrime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 170
I figure better myself than others!ūüĎć
I don't want to insult anyone, I love
all the different opinions & insight,
there are a lot of very informed
people here!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 7:22 PM
TSK18's Avatar
TSK18 TSK18 is offline
Registered User?
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
By my count, at 260 feet, this would be San Antonio's 3rd tallest outside of downtown. The Broadway Tower is 282 feet tall and the Towers on Park Lane is 274 feet.
I thought the Towers on Park Lane were 368ft tall: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...antonio-tx-usa

I know Emporis.com isn't the most reliable source, but I've been close to the building many times and I'd definetly say it seemed taller than the Broadway Tower. Quite an imposing strucure actually, it would look good downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:01 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
friends don't lie
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 49,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK18 View Post
I thought the Towers on Park Lane were 368ft tall: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...antonio-tx-usa

I know Emporis.com isn't the most reliable source, but I've been close to the building many times and I'd definetly say it seemed taller than the Broadway Tower. Quite an imposing strucure actually, it would look good downtown.
I've always had my doubts about that height. It would be very rare to find a 23-story residential building as tall as 368 feet. The Broadway Tower, for example, has only three fewer floors but is only 282 feet tall. The Towers on Park Lane appear more prominent than other buildings do because the site where it stands is at a higher sea level elevation than they are. The sea level elevation of this new building is 667 to 668 feet above sea level, while the Broadway Tower's site is 692 feet to 706 feet above sea level, but the Towers on Park Lane stands at 760 to 764 feet above sea level - nearly 100 feet higher than the site of this new building. The location of the Towers on Park Lane is more than 100 feet higher above sea level than just about any site in downtown.
__________________
In America, today, it's not that truth has lost, it's that political bias has been accepted as a legitimate answer to every issue one struggles with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:40 PM
Dan In Real Life's Avatar
Dan In Real Life Dan In Real Life is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lost in Texas
Posts: 84
Just now got a chance to see the new renderings. If this is the final design I'm ok with it. I don't hate it like I hate the Hemisphere project.

I think it fits being so near the Pearl. I don't think a bold, modern design would work in that area. The Pearl has a very distinct vibe and a lot of that is the way the architecture in that area ties back to the old brewery. These renderings (in my opinion) keep at least some of that connection to the area while still trying to provide a modern office space.

That said, if this project was being proposed for anywhere else in or near downtown I would join the chorus of posters on this forum saying we could do better. Outside of the Pearl, it looks like something that would be better suited for the 1604/I-10 area.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:01 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 789
It's alright, I don't love it or hate it. I would like it much better if the brick could go all the way up! But budgets can't be infinite I suppose. I appreciate the more human scale towards the street with the brick and window design. The glass box looks like a separate entity that has been dropped onto another building by a giant crane, which I'm not so sure I like (in other words - absolutely no relation to the rest of the building that I can see). I guess I appreciate the height though. The thing I dislike most about the glass box is what appears to be a mostly blank wall in the last rendering, with a thin strip of windows going up the middle. Blank walls never ever look good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:17 PM
TSK18's Avatar
TSK18 TSK18 is offline
Registered User?
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I've always had my doubts about that height. It would be very rare to find a 23-story residential building as tall as 368 feet. The Broadway Tower, for example, has only three fewer floors but is only 282 feet tall. The Towers on Park Lane appear more prominent than other buildings do because the site where it stands is at a higher sea level elevation than they are. The sea level elevation of this new building is 667 to 668 feet above sea level, while the Broadway Tower's site is 692 feet to 706 feet above sea level, but the Towers on Park Lane stands at 760 to 764 feet above sea level - nearly 100 feet higher than the site of this new building. The location of the Towers on Park Lane is more than 100 feet higher above sea level than just about any site in downtown.
By "close" I mean I've been at ground level near both buildings. I'm not saying the Towers on Park Lane are necessarily almost 100 feet taller than the Broadway, but in terms of presence, the Towers were more impressive. Just always seemed like a bigger building. I'm skeptical at the suggestion that it's shorter.

I am actually a fan of this proposal, by the way. It does look similar to the office towers coming into Houston, as others have mentioned, but the clean aesthetic looks great IMO, and you can't argue with the height increase.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:36 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
It's alright, I don't love it or hate it. I would like it much better if the brick could go all the way up! But budgets can't be infinite I suppose. I appreciate the more human scale towards the street with the brick and window design. The glass box looks like a separate entity that has been dropped onto another building by a giant crane, which I'm not so sure I like (in other words - absolutely no relation to the rest of the building that I can see). I guess I appreciate the height though. The thing I dislike most about the glass box is what appears to be a mostly blank wall in the last rendering, with a thin strip of windows going up the middle. Blank walls never ever look good.
Pretty much my opinion. Thanks for doing the typing so I don't have to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:45 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 757
Hot take: I like it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:48 PM
SAguy SAguy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 449
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:48 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
"Among the City’s recommended changes to the conceptual plans... and changing the proposed building cap to feature a more distinctive design"
Thanks, hdrc. Sometimes they do come through.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:09 PM
SAguy SAguy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Thanks, hdrc. Sometimes they do come through.
Yessss!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:24 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of your fence
Posts: 8,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
They're counting the two underground stories.
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:30 PM
SAguy SAguy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Thanks, hdrc. Sometimes they do come through.

Among the City’s recommended changes to the conceptual plans were reducing the impact on pedestrians by improving landscaping and pedestrian walkways, and changing the proposed building cap to feature a more distinctive design.

https://therivardreport.com/downtown...ower-broadway/

Hopefully, a much better design will come out of this. And the height isn't an issue. ūüėĀ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:07 AM
UrbanTrance's Avatar
UrbanTrance UrbanTrance is offline
Paradise
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 552
I would prefer they keep the glass material, but I welcome a more distinctive design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.