HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #201  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:31 PM
Komatiite's Avatar
Komatiite Komatiite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 107
Don't know if it was posted, but we're two weeks into the construction of the eastbound left turn cutout for the Perimeter-Kenaston intersection. I can see the latter approaching, anyone know if the lights will be up before the snow falls?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #202  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:43 PM
Reignman Reignman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatiite View Post
Don't know if it was posted, but we're two weeks into the construction of the eastbound left turn cutout for the Perimeter-Kenaston intersection. I can see the latter approaching, anyone know if the lights will be up before the snow falls?
I'm sure the trucking industry is giddy with anticipation of that new light...nothing like barely getting out of third gear after leaving the Waverley/100 intersection before having to stop again for Kenaston....on a high-speed bypass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #203  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:10 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,405
Kenaston is supposed to be completely open this year, and the north part of Waverley/100 intersection closed. Flyover at bishop grandin has inservice date of either Sept 1 or Oct 1. Can't remember.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #204  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:55 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,405
A couple pictures at 59N/101 of the material being dumped and graded. Looks like it's forming the west embankment for the bridges over Lag. I was travelling east taking the "exit ramp" from 101 to south onto 59. There's a port-a-potty on site and a dozer.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #205  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 6:50 PM
Komatiite's Avatar
Komatiite Komatiite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
I'm sure the trucking industry is giddy with anticipation of that new light...nothing like barely getting out of third gear after leaving the Waverley/100 intersection before having to stop again for Kenaston....on a high-speed bypass.
Yeah, I am kinda leery about that too, but hopefully this bit of news will ease the pain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Kenaston is supposed to be completely open this year, and the north part of Waverley/100 intersection closed. Flyover at bishop grandin has inservice date of either Sept 1 or Oct 1. Can't remember.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #206  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:14 AM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 6,269
Came back from the US a few days ago and can't believe there still farting around on the perimeter overpass at Pembina, they could have ripped out the old overpass and built a new one from scratch faster than the 3-4 years it seems they've been working on the retrofit.
__________________
The voice of reason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #207  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:47 AM
Spocket's Avatar
Spocket Spocket is offline
Keep yo pimp hand strong
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Changchun , China
Posts: 3,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Came back from the US a few days ago and can't believe there still farting around on the perimeter overpass at Pembina, they could have ripped out the old overpass and built a new one from scratch faster than the 3-4 years it seems they've been working on the retrofit.
Just for the sake of comparison : In my city in China they built an elevated freeway/inner ring road over the course of the past two/two and a half years. That's in a city the same size as Winnipeg but with roughly 5 times as many people.

So,...you know. Just putting that out there.
__________________
Giving you a reason to drink and drive since 1975.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #208  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:13 AM
Reignman Reignman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Came back from the US a few days ago and can't believe there still farting around on the perimeter overpass at Pembina, they could have ripped out the old overpass and built a new one from scratch faster than the 3-4 years it seems they've been working on the retrofit.
I have been wondering the exact same thing...and same goes for the Fermor/100 cloverleaf as well. Between these two structures under construction, the lights at St. Annes & St. Marys, and all the direct left turns from passing lanes and gravel road accesses...this has become one very dangerous highway. Maybe the worst in Canada.

Sometimes it takes going to the US and back to realize just how bad it really is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #209  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:55 AM
Reignman Reignman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatiite View Post
Yeah, I am kinda leery about that too, but hopefully this bit of news will ease the pain
Unfortunately from my understanding, the lights at Waverley are to remain in place, to allow NB vehicles from Waverley to make a left onto 100. I also recall hearing of a near-term plan to install new lights at Brady Road which, if true, would make for three traffic lights in a very short stretch.

At this rate, the south perimeter will soon be no better than any major city route, and will require a speed limit reduction to cut down on traffic accident fatalities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #210  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 1:58 PM
northern_hoser northern_hoser is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
I have been wondering the exact same thing...and same goes for the Fermor/100 cloverleaf as well. Between these two structures under construction, the lights at St. Annes & St. Marys, and all the direct left turns from passing lanes and gravel road accesses...this has become one very dangerous highway. Maybe the worst in Canada.

Sometimes it takes going to the US and back to realize just how bad it really is.
Travelling on the WB portion of the south Perimeter today, there was nearly a pile up of cars between the river and Pembina because of a dog that was running around the ditch. Many cars were swerving ahead and behind us either into the median lane or the shoulder. Even at 70 km/hr it got a little tense! I know this instance was unrelated to the construction, but I'm surprised there have not been more fatal accidents around the Perimeter with the construction and traffic light clusters. The south Perimeter will be getting an overlay this summer/fall between PTH 75 and 1E!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #211  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 2:04 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
At this rate, the south perimeter will soon be no better than any major city route, and will require a speed limit reduction to cut down on traffic accident fatalities.
I think this is reaching a point of inevitability. Traffic volumes on the Perimeter are growing, but the highway is still more or less built to the same standards that it had 40 years ago when there were far fewer cars driving on it. The mix of heavy traffic on some parts, high speeds and sudden stops for traffic lights is pretty volatile... at some point that 100 is going to have to come down to 80 for the portions that run along the developed parts of the city (e.g. the part near Portage Avenue, the part near Pembina Highway and the part near Henderson Highway).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #212  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 2:57 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
this has become one very dangerous highway. Maybe the worst in Canada.
I fully agree the Perimeter is a dangerous highway but not just the south Perimeter, the whole thing. Gunn Rd at the Perimeter has been the scene of many bad accidents and has not been on the highway all that long. There was a high profile incident of a vehicle leaving the bridge near Henderson Hwy.

My personal "worst intersection on the Perimeter" award goes to west bound Wilkes and south bound Perimeter. The "merge" lane is extremely short and after a 180 degree turn making it virtually impossible to be fully up to speed when you merge.

The biggest issue with the Perimeter in general the almost completely lack of merge/exit lanes coupled with at grade intersections, especially the unsignaled ones. Compounding the issue is the general lack of awareness on how to properly drive on a multilane roadway, specifically the common practice of failing to yield the left lane to merging traffic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #213  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 3:04 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
My personal "worst intersection on the Perimeter" award goes to west bound Wilkes and south bound Perimeter. The "merge" lane is extremely short and after a 180 degree turn making it virtually impossible to be fully up to speed when you merge.

The biggest issue with the Perimeter in general the almost completely lack of merge/exit lanes coupled with at grade intersections, especially the unsignaled ones. Compounding the issue is the general lack of awareness on how to properly drive on a multilane roadway, specifically the common practice of failing to yield the left lane to merging traffic.
Agreed 100%. Fixing the merge lanes to provide adequate merging space is such a no-brainer, and it is a relatively cheap and effective fix. Some of the geometry on the merge lanes is terrible - awkward twists and turns instead of smooth acceleration/deceleration. Straighten out some of those kinks (Wilkes is terrible, as are the other interchanges using the same design at Inkster and Henderson) and make it less treacherous.

People might actually learn to merge if they weren't always forced into traffic by an ending merge lane when they're only up to 60 kmh.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #214  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 3:08 PM
Reignman Reignman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
This is why the province needs to step up NOW before more people are killed on this nightmare stretch of the perimiter. Close off ALL the median openings that allow left turns straight out of the passing lane. Build an interchange at St Mary's ASAP, that intersection has become absolutely ridiculous during peak traffic. Leave the light at St. Annes for now until an interchange can be built there...or just cut off access altogether. Lagimodiere and St. Mary's are in close enough proximity. Prevent any new connections to perimiter unless they are done properly via a grade separation. This includes Kenaston. There is no reason why residents of Waverley West cannot use Waverley or McGillivary to access perimeter until the St Norbert bypass (and hopefully Kenaston/100 interchange) are completed. If this connection is so important, then fast-track the St Norbert bypass. The perimeter should be treated the same as an interstate highway is...absolutely zero access allowed unless by grade separation...and zero deviating from that.

I take the south perimeter twice a day to and from work (Transcona to Fort Garry and back) only because it's still better than taking Bishop Grandin. Marginally. However traffic volumes of late seem to be greatly increasing to the point where I am actually considering using Bishop again...it may be slower but at least it's safer. The fact that hwy 100 is part of Trans Canada makes this situation even more unnaceptable. I see many out of province travellers on that portion, I can only imagine what they must think. It truly is an embarassment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #215  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 3:15 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think this is reaching a point of inevitability. Traffic volumes on the Perimeter are growing, but the highway is still more or less built to the same standards that it had 40 years ago when there were far fewer cars driving on it. The mix of heavy traffic on some parts, high speeds and sudden stops for traffic lights is pretty volatile... at some point that 100 is going to have to come down to 80 for the portions that run along the developed parts of the city (e.g. the part near Portage Avenue, the part near Pembina Highway and the part near Henderson Highway).
The perimeter was built when Winnipeg had 500K residents and was mostly too far out to be used by commuters back then unlike today, add to that the always congested Lagimodiere Boulevard (Lag at Dugald usually backed up between 7AM-7PM daily) which should have been upgraded to six lanes a decade or two ago. Bishop is under capacity now as is........
__________________
The voice of reason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #216  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 4:08 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
There was a high profile incident of a vehicle leaving the bridge near Henderson Hwy.
That was a distracted driving issue. It didn't make the news because the victim was a high profile individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
My personal "worst intersection on the Perimeter" award goes to west bound Wilkes and south bound Perimeter. The "merge" lane is extremely short and after a 180 degree turn making it virtually impossible to be fully up to speed when you merge.
Enter the turn before the merge at maximum speed. Once in the turn head toward the apex while modulating the throttle between drift and oversteer. Once past the apex open the throttle and drift toward the outside of the turn allowing you to enter the highway at the speed limit.

Sorry I just had to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #217  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 4:13 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,405
The vehicle leaving the bridge at Henderson was Cindy Klassen's sister driving up the snow ramp. Or was there another one? I'm sure there's been more than one over the decades.

Maybe the Province should add drifting as a requirement for driving training courses!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #218  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:36 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,793
Distracted driving or not a vehicle leaving the lane of travel should never be able to fall off a bridge, that is why they have safety rails in the first place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #219  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:58 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Distracted driving or not a vehicle leaving the lane of travel should never be able to fall off a bridge, that is why they have safety rails in the first place.

Physics dictates otherwise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #220  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:02 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
I believe there was an incident just south of Roblin Blvd. some time ago where a vehicle left the Perimeter hwy. and ended up on the Assiniboine River during the winter? Don't believe it broke through the ice.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.