HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects


Palace of the Soviets in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Moscow Skyscraper Diagram

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 12:21 AM
koval95's Avatar
koval95 koval95 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 135
Only soviets could invent some shit like that
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 10:28 AM
thepowerofthestar thepowerofthestar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
It looks reasonable but the statue, it is bearable by the dome???
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 1:34 AM
Duffstuff129's Avatar
Duffstuff129 Duffstuff129 is offline
Charismatic Stallion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 576
This would have been bad-ass no doubt, but Soviet build quality was absolutely terrible, so it would not surprise me if they build the first ten stories, with some accidentally having 6 foot floors, and other with 20 feet, and upon realizing that the foundation they built was no where near strong enough or deep enough, they would have to top out there.

I'm sure Stalin considered how crap everything the Soviets made was before committing to this which led to its death.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:14 AM
Gamma-Hamster Gamma-Hamster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
This would have been bad-ass no doubt, but Soviet build quality was absolutely terrible, so it would not surprise me if they build the first ten stories, with some accidentally having 6 foot floors, and other with 20 feet, and upon realizing that the foundation they built was no where near strong enough or deep enough, they would have to top out there.

I'm sure Stalin considered how crap everything the Soviets made was before committing to this which led to its death.

Poor brainwashed american.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:55 AM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,536
how would have this been structurally feasible? there would be virtually nothing supporting the structure above the dome. if it were built, would have lenin's statute have remained in present day/ post communist russia or would it have been replaced by a shirtless putin on a horse?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:58 AM
Dr Nevergold Dr Nevergold is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 20,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
This is the epitome of Stalinist architecture. And yes, it's a mix of Neo-Classicism and Art Deco.
It would be a fantastic historic monument that would be timeless had it ever been built. Too bad it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
how would have this been structurally feasible? there would be virtually nothing supporting the structure above the dome. if it were built, would have lenin's statute have remained in present day/ post communist russia or would it have been replaced by a shirtless putin on a horse?

Considering how many buildings still have the communist sickle and hammer logo I think it would still be Lenin on top, but that would be the fun history part. Seeing Lenin's statue as something he wouldn't of approved of is the fun part.

The Soviets actually built a lot of magnificent structures and industrialized Russia quite quickly, so I'm sure the building would have been architecturally sound for centuries to come.

Kind of like the anti-North Korea of communist quality.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 9:08 PM
aceflamingo23 aceflamingo23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
I could imagine this being built in n. korea!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:07 PM
Lecom's Avatar
Lecom Lecom is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 12,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
how would have this been structurally feasible? there would be virtually nothing supporting the structure above the dome. if it were built, would have lenin's statute have remained in present day/ post communist russia or would it have been replaced by a shirtless putin on a horse?
They did cart away many of the smaller Soviet monuments; however, the significant ones are actually getting restored to their former glory, such as the famous Worker/Peasant statue:


http://www.cla.purdue.edu/fll/russia...ant_statue.jpg

As a rule, the Russians have enough common sense to get rid of the reduntant idol worship cult/placing the same statue on every public square of every city, but they also have enough common sense to not erase the obvious markers of history that made up almost all of the country's 20th century existence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 4:13 AM
plinko's Avatar
plinko plinko is offline
them bones
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Santa Barbara adjacent
Posts: 6,922
Anybody really interested in the buildings of this era should check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Architecture-S.../dp/0847814734

Exceptional sketches and photos in the book.
__________________
Even if you are 1 in a million, there are still 7,000 people just like you...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 4:38 AM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
They did cart away many of the smaller Soviet monuments; however, the significant ones are actually getting restored to their former glory, such as the famous Worker/Peasant statue:

http://www.cla.purdue.edu/fll/russia...ant_statue.jpg

As a rule, the Russians have enough common sense to get rid of the reduntant idol worship cult/placing the same statue on every public square of every city, but they also have enough common sense to not erase the obvious markers of history that made up almost all of the country's 20th century existence.
i've noticed that about russia; they've embraced the post soviet way of doing things but they held on to their history as well. i don't think the soviet era was entirely bad as they managed to go from a subsistence agriculture based economy to putting a man in space in a span of 50 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 11:29 PM
Duffstuff129's Avatar
Duffstuff129 Duffstuff129 is offline
Charismatic Stallion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
managed to go from a subsistence agriculture based economy to putting a man in space in a span of 50 years.
At the cost of millions of lives and the terrorizing of every citizen in the country. But their history is pretty cool to study at least.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 7:40 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
I still hope this gets built.
__________________
Instagram | Twitter

www.UtahProjects.info
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 11:03 PM
GFW's Avatar
GFW GFW is offline
ZA WARUDO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 49
No way it would now,Any communist related structures in Russia seems to be a no-no now.
__________________
Barrow In Furness
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 9:29 AM
mthq's Avatar
mthq mthq is offline
Registirred User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Alaska
Posts: 10,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
I still hope this gets built.
lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 9:07 PM
Onieros Onieros is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
I've always favored Le Corbusier's neo-modernist design for the Palace of the Soviets. The interior was extremely modernist, and looked like something out of THX-1138. Le Corbusier argued that the modernist sentiments of the Soviet revolution were being betrayed by the classicist designs that were approved by Stalin; instead, he interpreted the revolutionary intent in neo-modernist architectural terms, rather than resolving to eclectism/neo-classical designs for the Soviet's "building of buildings".

Many thanks to those who offered up such great images and imaginings on this project.

I'm surprised that neither of the Kims from NK engaged in a 'hubris' project like this, although the supertall hotel in Pyongyang could be considered in a similar light to the proposed Palace of the Soviets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.