HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:39 PM

Someone on here had mentioned that the crane would need to be raised to complete construction. I have not been by the site lately (just not getting out much, like many) and was wondering if the crane was raised/extended yet? Couldn't really tell from webcam.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 11:18 AM

Just checked the webcam - clear night: no, the crane hasn't been raised yet. Looking great, though, with the glass and framing going up all around.
Too bad for the birds, but it's only at certain times when the surface gets really mirrored; didn't have to be that finish, but it does look amazing.

Thanks for the in-person pics over time, too. The varying perspectives are much enjoyed. Saw one on instagram and the new tower is really filling in the hole between the new skyline we got used to last summer. Can't link as I'm not on instagram.

Build it and they will come, if it's better than what they've got and can grab it. Where would you rather go to see your banker or lawyer or doctor/shrink? River Landing or Stonebridge Access Road #2;>?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 5:16 PM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 5:35 PM

Nice shots, Echoes! I was hoping to beat you to the next "Saskatoon photo tour" this summer, but it's obviously up to you this year. Lots of great new updates since 2016 for a comprehensive tour, for sure.

Much appreciated all of you who ever add a picture to your posts. And appreciation too, to all posts. Cheers! The more the merrier and diversified.

I absolutely look forward to breakfast at the foot of River Landing next time I'm in town. By then the complex should be rocking! Breakfast, the museum with Picasso, a gummy bear by the river and then up to Broadway for some local brew. What a beautiful life, and then heading back down to 20th for dinner. All this I just realized, I'll be doing without a car. The heart of Saskatoon is still beating!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 11:47 PM
Community Guy

I just love this project, its pairing with Remai and overall scale/look/feel.

Be proud, very proud.

#jealous

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 1:31 AM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:05 PM

Great shot! But what a contrast. I've heard 'old Saskatoon' called commie-block and worse, and it's what you get without good urban planning for 40 years (Former Mayor Dayday+ cronies overwhelmingly opposed the new art gallery; and so on...).

Anyway, here's to the new and improved Saskatoon!

Developers have never stopped building, regardless of rules or taxes. They've just moved on. Make them move in. They're like children with a bag of candy that you open and close. Control them. Make them eat out of your hands instead of you licking theirs. Be a city of exemplary pride. Be a better Saskatoon, and follow your own priorities!

Like I said before, Saskatoon as a city, is a really crappy example of an environmentally friendly place. Although it's a great place to live and all the people dance around happily spouting their healthy routines, the actual layout of the town and its future growth are horribly at odds with ecological integrity.

My hometown as it stands, is a cancer on the face of the prairies. My hope is to fashion it into a sexy European mole. (A bit harsh, but too late now. Words...:>)

Because you don't need as much stuff as you think you do, and Europeans already know this. You are going to die soon, so stop buying useless stuff and enjoy your time without so much debt instead. It's liberating! Just have a good place to live.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Apr 19, 2020 at 6:42 AM. Reason: cut the shit ... oops. Look out down below!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:32 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post

My hometown as it stands, is a cancer on the face of the prairies. My hope is to fashion it into a sexy European mole.

Because you don't need as much shit as you think you do, and Europeans already know this. You are going to die soon, so stop buying shit and enjoy your time without so much debt instead. It's liberating! Just have a good place to live.
As much as there are some lessons to be learned from European cities, the people in Canada and Europe are completely different. I lived in Austria for a bit and there you could between neighbouring towns and villages in 15 minutes. The agriculture industry there consists of smaller grain farms and minor animal operations so many farmers need less land.

In Saskatchewan farm kids move from the city and are used to driving everywhere because of necessity. When the nearest high school is a 45 minute drive on gravel roads away, riding your bike or walking is simply not feasible.

My brothers and I grew up on a farm yet none of us own a truck and we all bike or walk to work. Unfortunately we are the exception and most people from farm backgrounds cannot wrap their minds around active or public transportation, and find it even harder to move from a 3,000 acre back yard to a 500 square foot apartment.

Saskatoon will never look like a European city because it isn't populated by Europeans.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:40 PM
the heat goes on

damn if only Europeans had come here hundreds of years ago, we would have had a chance...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 4:48 PM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:52 PM

Man, those occupancy costs of $15.77/sqft in Nutrien's existing tower are steep. Lease rates are going to need to be pretty attractive to offset those occupancy costs.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 6:17 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
damn if only Europeans had come here hundreds of years ago, we would have had a chance...

It's almost like we forget most people settled here for something different than what they had in the Old World. Shouldn't be surprising things look very different.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 6:08 PM

Farms used to be way smaller, with family farms, and towns and hamlets were thriving all over the place, after they wiped out the buffalo and First Nations. Never mind. Anyway, this landmark complex at River Landing is the new image of Saskatchewan, and home to an agricultural heir. To infinity and beyond!

Last edited by Ricopedra; Apr 19, 2020 at 6:32 AM. Reason: a bit off topic;>)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 6:32 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 9:30 PM

Great pic, Echoes!!! Lots of progress....looks like over half way to the top?!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 2:21 AM

Last edited by Echoes; Apr 22, 2020 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 9:55 AM

Wow, fantastic walking tour - thanks, Echoes. I really like that long shot from 3rd that shows Saskatoon's good ol' bones. You mentioned that view would be good a year ago, and here it comes. We're lucky to have what's left, and what's rising. Thanks to the vision of Victory Majors and their astute decision to look outside the box of Saskatoon developers, yet keeping them on board and giving them critical experience.

Thus, my next question is about the Nasser Plaza: Did you happen to see any work going on there at surface level? Although people won't be so out and about, I believe they wanted it finished this spring? (It's springing!>)

In that 3rd Ave. shot by Echoes, you'll see a lowest-point, one-story building in the middle that recently sold, and beside it to the right a second shorty, which butts up against the nice 2-bldg six-story throwbacks. That would be a great location for a new mid to high-rise condo infill. Build it and they will come.

But somehow the price point has got to be about...let's see, carry the knot...850sqft, 2bdrm, 1 prkg for around $400,000. That's right. For the last decade prices have been inflated in relation to real wages. This is where we're going after Covid. This is my prediction for new developments, not for what's already on the board. This is also not for the luxury homebuyer, it's for the middle class who want to move up a notch from particle board.

It's interesting to see Nutrien tower in its full girth, like a lady getting more beautiful yet fatter as she slips on her nightgown. (I would suggest never saying that to your lover). But this 'tallest tower in Saskatchewan' might really be something to look at when it's finished. Bravo!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 2:29 PM

Great shots, Echoes. I know we all appreciate your excellent photo contributions to this thread.

Just a couple of construction updates on River Landing. The tower crane for the Nutrien Tower should be getting jumped next week. As for work in the plaza, it is scheduled to be completed this summer (other than what ties into the Nutrien Tower) with work expected to re-commence within a couple of weeks.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 2:34 PM

One more thing of interest. With the curtainwall advancing on Nutrien Tower, viewers get an added bonus when you check out the image from the webcam for the project:

http://timelapse.stealthmonitoring.c...wdNPKCygwEen84

Unless my eyes deceive me, that's a reflection of the Bessborough caught in the the glass on the lower left portion of the Nutrien Tower.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 1:11 PM

Here's a visual (from a screen grab from the MVA application) for where it's at:

[IMG][/IMG]

From the MVA application:
http://meewasin.com/about/developmen...consideration/

(Oops...that's a little large...).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan