HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I thought it sounded familiar.

This is just more cheap clothing, isn't it? More fast fashion from China. It won't be quality product.
Probably the franchisee wants to live here for family reasons.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Probably the franchisee wants to live here for family reasons.
Or possibly betting on success with the large Asian student population that resides in the South end.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I thought it sounded familiar.

This is just more cheap clothing, isn't it? More fast fashion from China. It won't be quality product.
It's not clothes, it's like Miniso, Mumuso, and the dozen other ...so stores from China.

Household goods, beauty products, toys, cute little things that people like, stationary etc. Daiso, Muji would be similar, a lifestyle store.

an article on the type of store
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/econo...cats-took-over

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 11:52 PM

Muji would be perfect for the Cornwall Centre.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 5:41 PM

Anyone have any ideas or guessed to what would be a good tenant for the remaining 30,000 sqft 1st floor and 6,000 sqft 2nd floor space in the former Sears area right on the corner of Sask Drive and Hamilton? Restaurant or is that too much space?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Anyone have any ideas or guessed to what would be a good tenant for the remaining 30,000 sqft 1st floor and 6,000 sqft 2nd floor space in the former Sears area right on the corner of Sask Drive and Hamilton? Restaurant or is that too much space?
Large restaurants are, to a big extent, out of fashion. With the exception of big chains like Olive Garden or Earls, restaurants struggle to bring in enough business to pay the rent on that much space.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Large restaurants are, to a big extent, out of fashion. With the exception of big chains like Olive Garden or Earls, restaurants struggle to bring in enough business to pay the rent on that much space.
Would a 6,000sqft restaurant work on the second level then?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 7:35 PM

That 6,000 sq ft section on the second floor is a weird location. I don't think it's connected to the mall.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
That 6,000 sq ft section on the second floor is a weird location. I don't think it's connected to the mall.
Yeah, I'm curious about where exactly that left over space is and what could possibly be done with it.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 10:07 PM

Just an observation...

The entrance to Urban Planet from where the two pedways connect just appears odd to me. There is no main aisle leading to this entrance, and in fact they have racks of clothing almost trying to block the entrance. There is a large concrete patch on the floor at this entrance, which looks ugly (worse than Hudson's Bay floors). And the central cashier desk is on the far opposite wall, so it isn't even close to this entrance. I thought to myself how easy it would be for someone to run out of the store with merchandise and run down either pedway or the stairs to the outside. They would be long gone by the time the alarm rang and a store associate got to the entrance. But as of yesterday (Feb 29th) there is now a store associate and a security guard standing there. They should rethink having just one central cashier and put in a single checkout at this entrance. It seems as though they are treating this entrance as a necessary evil.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 12:43 AM

Hard to think there would be much theft going through the pedway as minors can not use that pedway and Urban Planet is geared to minors, isn't it?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 4:35 PM

If they make a proper renovated entrance lobby off of Hamilton Street for whatever 30,000 sqft tenant would be taking the main floor and then elevator/staircase to second floor 6,000sqft space/Urban Planet entrance/Pedway, would that work?

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Mar 2, 2020 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:33 PM

Has anyone else heard the rumour that Fresh Air Experience is going to be closing?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Has anyone else heard the rumour that Fresh Air Experience is going to be closing?
That would be really sad! Our choices are already so limited when it comes to outdoor adventure gear.

What is the status on the Saskatoon MEC? I heard that they have stalled construction on the store.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 10:08 PM

I noticed that the former WP Gardens' space in University Park has been leased. Any word on the tentant?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 10:18 PM

I think it was previously mentioned that Bench at the Cornwall Centre is closing permanently (signs are up now). Stokes also has signs up that they too are permanently closing their store.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 12:13 AM

Tsunami of store and restaurant closings is coming.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 7:44 PM

Probably old news to others that work downtown...

I called the Cornwall Centre this morning and the food court remains open for take out only. No seating is allowed.

I was also informed that there are 30 stores currently closed. They are allowing stores to remain open is they wish. The mall hours have also been reduced to 11 am to 6 pm Monday to Saturday and 12 noon to 5 pm on Sunday.

I have posted this in the Regina Pubs and Restaurants thread as well.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Probably old news to others that work downtown...

I called the Cornwall Centre this morning and the food court remains open for take out only. No seating is allowed.

I was also informed that there are 30 stores currently closed. They are allowing stores to remain open is they wish. The mall hours have also been reduced to 11 am to 6 pm Monday to Saturday and 12 noon to 5 pm on Sunday.

I have posted this in the Regina Pubs and Restaurants thread as well.
Now that council has determined some stores will close, it will be decimated even more. They didn't ask for blanket retail; it was weird. Clothing and shoe have to shop. Candles or tea or book don't. (I know Davids is already closed but just one of the examples.)

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:03 PM

New retail

I'm really feeling for small business and restaurant owners right now. I'm thinking of places like Skypark that just opened. I was downtown today for the first time in a while and I see a new business called Everluxe is opening just West of Lululemon on 11th. Consignment jewelry and luxury brand accessories. There's another place on Broad roughly where the 99 Cakes was called Oi Bakery and Cafe. Looks like Vietnamese subs and stuff like that. If folks can find ways to support local businesses when they order take out at least instead of say McDonalds etc. at least it might help out a bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan