HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 11:22 PM

Downtown Steubenville Photo Tour (Aug. 2018)

Downtown Steubenville Photo Tour (Aug. 2018)

Hey Skyscraper Page! I have been spending some time in the Ohio Valley area recently and decided to take a trip to Downtown Steubenville today! Surprisingly, Downtown is structurally intact for the most part despite most buildings being vacant. Many buildings date back to the late 1800s. There are even two skyscrapers and a few midrises that could maybe classify as skyscrapers. Most of my trip was on Fourth Street.

As I exited the parking lot, the first building I came across was the Laughlin Building - I can't find much information about it, but it is a really beautiful building in my opinion:

Directly next to the Laughlin Building is the Grand Theater - This building has been receiving off and on renovations for years now and certainly looks better than it once did. I believe the first floor is a renovated event space. The hope is to one day restore the theater room itself and bring more events into Downtown:

Continuing north, I crossed Market Street and entered the block of Fourth Street with the most activity and businesses - though it still is not very active. One building that stood out to me was the "Cottmann Building" which houses a local favorite, Yorgo's Gyros & Potatoes. The building dates back to 1886 and is in good condition it seems:

Now, I entered the new Leonardo's Coffeehouse that has been put into the recently renovated Renaissance Building. The shop only opened a few months ago, but it really impressed me! There was a lot more people in there than expect, the coffee was good, and they had a lot of cool historical things to look at. They even have a stage for live music!

Also in the same building as Leonardo's Coffeehouse is the Steubenville Popcorn Company. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo inside this store, but it was an awesome place! They had a wide variety of popcorn (made in the back of the store), many of which were branded for the local cities and high schools. I had the "Redskin Blend" which was caramel and cherry flavored. They also have ice cream here, but I didn't try it. Also in the building is Drosselmeyer's Nutcracker Shoppe. This gift shop plays off of the well know Steubenville Nutcracker Festival by selling a large variety of nutcrackers:

Across the street, there's this little parklet with lights over top of it. It usually has picnic tables out, but not today for some reason. It mainly serves the patrons of the coffee shop:

Here are two buildings directly across the street from the coffee shop. The mid-rise on the far left is a low-income housing building:

Another old brick building on Fourth Street. Like many buildings around here, it could look great if it got a little bit of TLC:

I can't tell you what this building is, but I assume it is affiliated with the Steubenville Diocese due to the statue of what I assume is Mary on the front of the building:

Looking south on Fourth Street:

Looking north on Fourth Street:

Here's some buildings closer to Washington Street. They are both occupied, but as expected, they could use a good amount of work:

Looking north on Fourth Street. The coffee shop is on the far right:

The "Beerbower Building," which dates back to 1890:

The Robinson Music Company Building:

Yet another vacant and boarded up building:

Here are two buildings next to the Huntington Bank Tower. The one of the left houses Hu-Nan Chinese Restaurant, which has been in Downtown Steubenville for decades. The building on the right has "coming soon" painted on the windows, but I didn't notice this until just now and I can't read what's supposed to be opening there

At this point, I turned west onto Market Street. There's a few blocks of this street that are mostly intact still. There is a neat parklet up that street that I forgot to take a photo of as well as a midrise office building that I assume is from around the 1970s. I'm a big fan of the Italianate building on the left:

The Huntington Bank Tower:

The First National Bank Tower:

Now, going south on Market Street, I found these two buildings that interested me. The one on the right is dated as 1885. Sadly that SUV was there, which prevented me from getting a better photo:

Looking north on Market Street:

Continuing south on Market Street, I got to the Jefferson County Courthouse. Here is a statue of Steubenville native, Edwin Stanton. He was the secretary of war during Abraham Lincoln's administration.

A building across the street from the courthouse on Third Street:

Next, I walked into the park area around Fort Steuben. This area is used for events such as the Dean Martin Festival and the annual Nutcracker Village. Here is a view of Downtown from the park:

The fountain in the park with the courthouse in the background:

Here's some better views of the courthouse:

Another look at Steubenville's two skyscrapers:

Here is a row of buildings (including the first two in this tour) on Fourth Street, south of Market Street. As you continue south on Fourth Street, the area seems to get worse and worse and eventually looks like a ghost-town. (There were a few cool buildings down there, but I didn't stop because most weren't too impressive and it seemed a bit sketchy.)

Here is another building on Fourth Street south of Market Street:

Lastly, there's this unique building. It's certainly unlike any others I saw today:

And here's one last view of Fourth Street, looking north:

Final Thoughts:
Steubenville is obviously in a pretty bad spot at the moment. There isn't much business happening around the area, and poverty is clearly an issue in the half of the city closest to the river. Downtown has a ton of potential, as shown by the success of the new coffee shop, but no major plans to fix it up have been put into place. That being said, this is Downtown's best year in a long time due to the new coffee shop and the new First Friday Festivals, which have drawn in thousands of visitors. One thing that stood out to me was the lack of color in Downtown - for a city that prides itself on being the "City of Murals," you'd expect it to be colorful. But, I only saw 2 or 3 murals, and none of them were particularly photo-worthy. And, the murals that were there were far from colorful and vibrant. Even Toronto, Ohio down the road has much better and more vibrant murals that brighten up the town. Speaking of Toronto, Ohio, if you guys are interested, I'll gladly do a photo tour of Downtown Toronto and some other historic sites around town!

Last edited by Dblcut3; Aug 10, 2018 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 12:24 AM

Nice, never heard of Steubenville until this is the first time.

Ohio does have several little towns with decent mini skylines eh, industrial touches.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:11 AM
somewhere in-between

Great tour - thanks for taking the time to share! I was in Steubenville once, a long time ago, for a wedding. I didn't get to spend much time focusing on the downtown during that trip. But I agree - I'd say it has a ton of potential. The two bank towers are both beautiful. I only wish that they would get rid of that ugly 60's metal facade at the base of the Huntington Bank Tower. The courthouse is also gorgeous. And I, for one, would love to see a photo tour of Toronto, OH.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Great tour - thanks for taking the time to share! I was in Steubenville once, a long time ago, for a wedding. I didn't get to spend much time focusing on the downtown during that trip. But I agree - I'd say it has a ton of potential. The two bank towers are both beautiful. I only wish that they would get rid of that ugly 60's metal facade at the base of the Huntington Bank Tower. The courthouse is also gorgeous. And I, for one, would love to see a photo tour of Toronto, OH.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, Steubenville really isn't anything to write home about and is quite dead - But it sure has potential! I think if the city really tried it could start seeing some small success like Wheeling, WV has for example. And I probably will do the Toronto, Ohio tour - I'll be there Monday, so if I have time, I will.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Nice, never heard of Steubenville until this is the first time.

Ohio does have several little towns with decent mini skylines eh, industrial touches.
Glad to have introduced you to it

Steubenville really isn't in good shape at the moment, especially in the urban areas. But, its Downtown is a neat relic of its successful past as a prosperous mid-size industrial river city. If you haven't before, check out Wheeling, WV down the river - It's a similar city, but it's bigger and seeing a lot of development, especially historic restoration projects.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:19 AM
Ex Houstonian

I work at the courthouse, the town is such a Shithole full of incredible architecture that will all be lost in time. Some good places to eat still at least downtown, although 75 percent of it is abandoned. The town is fucked and has no potential for redemption, which is a shame. Wheeling may be saved, but Stuebenville, Wellsburg, Weirton, East Liverpool, Martins Ferry, Toronto, Moundsville etc are all fucked. They're too far from Pittsburgh to be exurbs and saved, and there's no economic activity, other than oil and gas, which doesn't employ the locals, for those town to have any future.

On a side note, it's cool you photographed Yorgos, I eat there almost everyday, they have bomb burgers, wedding soup and Gyros. Just ate there today in fact. However, I can't wait to not work in craphole Jefferson county everyday soon, once this shitty leasing project is over.

Also, if you're in the Ohio Valley, go to Weirton and take photos of the abandoned Weirton Steel before it's all gone. Someone said all the blasts are gone now, of which they were all intact just a year ago. But when I drive home I can still see the BOP is not torn down completely yet, although they gutted the interior of it about a year ago and took out all the impressive molten steel buckets and all the impressive machinery. It's a horrible shame they aren't preserving any of Weirton Steel, it was one of the most epic urbex spots in the US, and could have made an incredible national historic park. But the Dumbass regressives in Weirton; of which the same regressive morons who inhabit the entire Ohio Valley region and keep the place the dark ages, didn't think preservation was important, which could have brought in millions from tourist revenue. Except no, it will all be gone in a few months and the town will slowly keep disappearing, like Stuebenville.

Last edited by photoLith; Aug 10, 2018 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I work at the courthouse, the town is such a Shithole full of incredible architecture that will all be lost in time. Some good places to eat still at least downtown, although 75 percent of it is abandoned. The town is fucked and has no potential for redemption, which is a shame. Wheeling may be saved, but Stuebenville, Wellsburg, Weirton, East Liverpool, Martins Ferry, Toronto, Moundsville etc are all fucked. They're too far from Pittsburgh to be exurbs and saved, and there's no economic activity, other than oil and gas, which doesn't employ the locals, for those town to have any future.
Sadly you are right. As much as I love the area, it has no real future. The best they can do really is clean up the towns and make them nice looking small towns. This area's peak is long gone unfortunately. That's part of the reason I like the area though - it's pretty neat to see buildings like these that area just a shell of what was once a prosperous area. That being said, Steubenville in particular is really fucked - Mainly because it was built as a mid-size town but now doesn't have the population to support it. There's really no way to fix up the bad city neighborhoods because there simply is no population to move in and fix those areas - they will just slowly become abandoned.

And even though I enjoyed looking around Downtown, it really felt eerie and like a ghost town. There was just no life down there. I sort of understand why no one likes to go down there anymore! I highly doubt I'll be back for a long time. And I'll have to try Yorgo's! I've heard it's good but I haven't gotten the chance to go yet. Just wondering, what type of work do you do in Steubenville?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

I work in oil and gas doing abstracting in courthouses. Last county I worked in was Brooke County, WV, about 10 miles down the river in Wellsburg, another screwed craphole town, that will be erased off the map in 50 years.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I work in oil and gas doing abstracting in courthouses. Last county I worked in was Brooke County, WV, about 10 miles down the river in Wellsburg, another screwed craphole town, that will be erased off the map in 50 years.
I should be offended by your hostility towards the areas I grew up in... but damn it you're right

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:09 AM

Very nice tour. I've been meaning to explore that area but haven't gotten there yet. Has anything replaced Chase in the tower they used to occupy downtown?

I would love it if you did a Toronto, Ohio tour. Maybe include some of the other small, declining towns in the area as well. Your area fascinates me.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 7:05 AM

I almost went to the university there but changed my mind at the last minute. I never saw or had gone there before but was interested in the school. Cool to see how it looks all these years later. It would be great for filming period movies in.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Very nice tour. I've been meaning to explore that area but haven't gotten there yet. Has anything replaced Chase in the tower they used to occupy downtown?

I would love it if you did a Toronto, Ohio tour. Maybe include some of the other small, declining towns in the area as well. Your area fascinates me.
Good question. One relative of mine told me that the Chase Building is now offices, particuarly law offices. But another said they think it's low income housing now. And thanks for the feedback! My plan is to do Toronto, then East Liverpool, and maybe Wellsville or Mingo Junction if I have time. If you have any specific town you want, I may be able to do it, but no promises. Stay tuned for more photo tours!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 7:35 PM
The New Republic

I had heard of Steubenville but for a very unpleasant reason. That said, it was interesting to see what it looked like.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 7:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

some nice stock, but unfortunately its long running air of hopelessness and abandonment make it the most depressing town in ohio. add east cleveland and lorain and you have the down n out trifecta of ohio. debateably of course. and not to pick on ohio either as everywhere has its struggling places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I had heard of Steubenville but for a very unpleasant reason. That said, it was interesting to see what it looked like.
naaah, drunky dean martin was only an act.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Yeah... most people know Steubenvile for... that. I'd like to defend Steubenville, but as someone who was here during the rape case, it's disgusting how much people either didn't care or even defended the kids who did it. It's because Football is everything in that town. Steubenville is just backwards and stuck in the past - but at least they have some cool buildings!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 10:08 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Thanks, globalization.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 10:17 PM

I was in Steubenville once in the 1980s and from memory sadly it does not look that much different than it does today. If you continue this tour to Toronto keep moving east, I would love to see 2018 East Liverpool!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 10:56 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Still, nothing some hipster and gay New Yorkers and Portlanders couldn’t fix. This place has cheap real estate and authenticity. Good time to buy!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 4:57 AM
Red October standing by

thanks for the tour. nice old bones.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Guy View Post
I was in Steubenville once in the 1980s and from memory sadly it does not look that much different than it does today. If you continue this tour to Toronto keep moving east, I would love to see 2018 East Liverpool!
For sure! I plan on doing Toronto, then East Liverpool, then Wellsville or Mingo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos