HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
That sounds like it could be, might be, maybe in the future might sort of be a place like Austin. Right?
It could be. Here's something from GeekWire:

Six cities Amazon should consider for its second headquarters

Quote:
Austin: Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has deep roots in Texas, where family ancestors operated a massive ranch, and his Blue Origin space venture launches rockets. We expect multiple cities in the Lone Star state to make a bid for Amazon, but Austin seems like the best fit. It’s home to the University of Texas, which means Amazon could mine the Longhorns for top talent. It’s also an impressive tech center (with companies such as Dell, HomeAway and RackSpace) and a desirable place to live. More than 68,000 people worked in Austin’s burgeoning tech economy in 2016, including more than 25,000 in software development. And don’t forget that Amazon just bought a little grocery chain based in Austin for $13.7 billion. Perhaps Whole Foods could form the basis of “HQ2” — as Amazon is calling its second corporate campus.

Update: An astute GeekWire reader noted that Amazon may choose another state, like Washington, that does not have an income tax which would make it attractive for people transferring out of Seattle and new talent. Texas — along with Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming — does not have an income tax.
The five other cities that GeekWire thinks Amazon should be looking at are Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:39 PM
クラブトクヨ

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:55 PM

Oh, heck! Go ahead and crucify me. I suggest that we offer to raze the ACC campus at Highland and invite Amazon to redevelop the entire area to suit their needs. It may not have a lot of transit "options", but it has proximity to major highways and also to our one pathetic rail offering.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:19 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It would be awesome if Amazon chose Austin but I'd hold off on getting too excited just yet about the prospect. We still don't really know what their long-term plan is for Whole Foods. Just because it's based here doesn't mean that we would be top choice right out the gate.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:58 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It would be awesome if Amazon chose Austin but I'd hold off on getting too excited just yet about the prospect. We still don't really know what their long-term plan is for Whole Foods. Just because it's based here doesn't mean that we would be top choice right out the gate.
Honestly Dallas has a better chance. I know kill me.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Honestly Dallas has a better chance. I know kill me.
I hate to say it but I agree, they have a much better airport and even public transit. Their downtown is booming too in terms of residential.

(we have prettier lakes tho)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:31 PM

I want to play this game.

I'd combine the Southshore and Waller Park Place (and 99 Trinity). You could connect them with a pedestrian/rail bridge for light rail down Riverside to the airport.

I also like Robinson Ranch idea along the Red Line near 45N and Parmer Lane. But I'd prefer we get some tall downtown building out of it. Southshore+WPP is my vote.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:59 PM

No surprise, but Austin is formally submitting.

Quote:
Mike Rollins, president and CEO of the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce, told the American-Statesman that city officials would make a bid to win what’s expected to be a huge Amazon complex.

Amazon announced its plans early Thursday and asked interested cities and regions to prepare and submit proposals. The proposals are due by Oct. 19, and the winning location will be announced next year, the company said.

“Definitely we want to compete, and compete hard and would like to win,” Rollins said. “We feel like we have a great case to make, if we’re fortunate enough to be selected to make our case.”

He said Austin has the right attributes, from a talented workforce to plenty of land to one of the nation’s fastest-growing airports, among other pluses. And he said there would be synergy here, with Amazon having recently purchased Austin-based Whole Foods Market.

As for the prospects of landing the second headquarters, he said: “I would say excellent, but I’m an optimistic person.”

http://www.512tech.com/technology/ch...45GfsQoGi9FTM/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:16 PM

Browsing around the interwebs, we seem to be making a lot of the opinionators' and columnists' short lists.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I hate to say it but I agree, they have a much better airport and even public transit. Their downtown is booming too in terms of residential.

(we have prettier lakes tho)
Yea, but it sounds like they are looking to have some of their development teams relocate to the second HQ. They are more likely to vote for a move to Austin than Dallas.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Browsing around the interwebs, we seem to be making a lot of the opinionators' and columnists' short lists.
The Amazon folks may already have a bias towards Austin. But they can't just hand it over without looking around at options first. That wouldn't be responsible business wise. For something this big, it makes sense that they would want to explore incentives and even goosing cities into promising to work on mass transit in/around the new HQ.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:34 AM

Brackenridge Tract? Could that handle the Amazon requirements?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:51 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Brackenridge Tract? Could that handle the Amazon requirements?
It would be a departure from what city officials want the Brackenridge Tract to become with a focus on health but who knows. I'm sure there could be some changes if it came down to that.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
How much could you fit in a big chunk (all?) of the South Shore district?

How about South Shore plus building above the convention center, connected by a pedestrian bridge (also dreaming)?
New thought -- buildings above the convention center + 99 Trinity + Waller Creek + that huge parcel across Cesar Chavez from the Fairmont + 4th and Red River and sundry others in that part of the city. The congestion would be unbearable of course, and it would be weird to mix Amazonians AND conventioneers, but . . . at least this is a way I can mentally develop all that gorgeous vacant land.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:26 PM

It seems like it's probably time to move all of this to another thread?

So what's the other perspective? For those cities that have been advanced as our "competition", what do their downtown (or suburban greenfield) options look like? I'm assuming 8 million square feet is a lot of room to try to find in other downtowns as well.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:14 PM

Every Amazon post in the Update and Off Topic threads have been moved to this thread.

It's too early in the process for me to get excited about this yet. But man, this is a huge and interesting discussion across a lot of urban forums and city threads.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Every Amazon post in the Update and Off Topic threads have been moved to this thread.

It's too early in the process for me to get excited about this yet. But man, this is a huge and interesting discussion across a lot of urban forums and city threads.
You're right, it's everywhere. SO much buzz.

Everything I've read puts 1) Austin as a de facto finalist, even before bids are tallied and 2) Austin thinks of itself as a de facto finalist, even before bids are tallied.

That's dangerous. Pride goeth before a fall, and all that.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:36 PM

This is Hilarious ! It really is like a bid for the olympics !

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:31 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is Hilarious ! It really is like a bid for the olympics !
I was joking that it's like the engagement ceremony from the movie "Coming to America"

I wonder if there are any cities willing to hop on one leg and bark like a dog to get it?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
You beat me to it. That will be a major boost to some lucky city - much bigger than a Tesla gigafactory and Foxconn combined. Austin better step up its game and make a major effort for it. We have a leg up like the article states with some Amazon corporate jobs and that grocery story thing.
Looks like Austin and Texas is going for it.

http://www.512tech.com/technology/ch...45GfsQoGi9FTM/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin