HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:31 AM

Quote:
One more point as a native San Antonian: San Antonio is obsessed with the Cowboys supports them in many ways. (Give Jerry Jones credit) As complete outsider, you would have no idea that they are not a local team when watching local TV coverage. SA and Dallas are 275 miles apart.
When the last expansion of the NFL came about, many thought that with Tex Schramm and Tom Landry getting together and trying to get a team in SA, they had an advantage but leave it to JJ to get the NFL owners to vote SA off on the first round and the NFL winds up in Jacksonville and Charlotte both of which have smaller markets then SA. I think it would have been great to have another NFL team in Texas, just like its great to have 3 NBA teams. But because of the $$ that JJ and the Cowboys make from Austin & SA, I think it will be extremely hard for this area to get an NFL team. Personally that's why I don't spend a penny on Cowboy merchandise and when people ask me who my favorite NFL team is, I tell them its whoever plays the Cowboys. I personally feel that JJ put a lot of pressure on Tom Benson not to move the Saints to SA. TB has many connections in SA and would move here at the drop of a hat, but knows that JJ packs a lot of influence and the NFL makes all sorts of excuses not to move to SA. They dont want to be in a small market but NO is a much smaller market than SA (for that matter Austin) and I know that an NFL team in SA would draw from Austin and from South Texas and the Valley. Heck, when the last time the Spurs won the NBA, people in Laredo were going around downtown blowing their horns just like they did here in SA. JJ would stand to loose $$ from South Texas with a team in SA. They Cowboys are training in the Alamodome and I work just two blocks from there but I will not spend my time to go see them. I guess you can tell I'm not a Cowboy fan, and never will. I cant stand to see some of the sportscasters here so go ga-ga over the Cowboys when they are 300 miles north of here. They act as if the Cowboys gave a hoot about SA. Heck we have to pay them to come down here to train.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:46 AM

Quote:
The difference in metro population is only 378,843. Would you act like Austin is much bigger than a metro of 1,273,759, especially if it was growing faster and all signs pointed to it becoming a larger metro in the not too distant future?
I have seen this before and I believe by 2040 or 2050 Austin would have a larger metro area. But if I'm not mistaken those projections were made prior to Toyota moving in to SA, and also several other big projects coming to SA and the expansion of several thousand to Fort Sam. I saw a new projection that SA metro should be hitting the 3 million in about 10-12 years. I also think that the combined Austin-SA metro area has topped 4 million. Also even though Hays County is next to Travis, I believe many people in southern Hays have a closer connection to Bexar than to Travis. Some here in SA even consider Hays part of the SA area. I would be great for the two areas to work closer together and close the gap. Comal and Guadalupe Counties have over 100,000 each now and New Braunfels should be hitting the 100,000 in 10 years or so. The problem with SA is, yes, we have a larger population, but we also have a very large low income population and that makes a heck of a difference. Count the illegals and we may top 5 million

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 8:09 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sananto View Post
I have seen this before and I believe by 2040 or 2050 Austin would have a larger metro area. But if I'm not mistaken those projections were made prior to Toyota moving in to SA, and also several other big projects coming to SA and the expansion of several thousand to Fort Sam. I saw a new projection that SA metro should be hitting the 3 million in about 10-12 years. I also think that the combined Austin-SA metro area has topped 4 million. Also even though Hays County is next to Travis, I believe many people in southern Hays have a closer connection to Bexar than to Travis. Some here in SA even consider Hays part of the SA area. I would be great for the two areas to work closer together and close the gap. Comal and Guadalupe Counties have over 100,000 each now and New Braunfels should be hitting the 100,000 in 10 years or so. The problem with SA is, yes, we have a larger population, but we also have a very large low income population and that makes a heck of a difference. Count the illegals and we may top 5 million
No, all the projections I've seen still have the Austin metro surpassing the San Antonio metro. It's just a projection though, it's not like anyone really knows.

Hays County abuts Travis County. There is even a small portion of the city of Austin within Hays County. Kyle, Buda, and Dripping Springs are all bedroom communities of Austin. San Marcos is more independent, but is still only about 30 miles south of Austin, whereas it's about 50 miles north of San Antonio. The census bureau uses commuting statistics to determine which, if any metro a county belongs in. Hays County is very much in the Austin metro, and has been for decades. To say otherwise would be as incorrect as an Austinite saying Comal County is part of the Austin area.

Last edited by Scottolini; Aug 1, 2009 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 10:28 PM

Saw this article on the Austin Business Journal website

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/st...l?surround=lfn

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 11:46 PM
Closed account

Interesting that Austin is the 48th largest television market, but the 39th largest radio market.
http://www.arbitron.com/home/mm001050.asp

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 12:50 AM

I wonder..... how out of mode will that info become...if it is not already. I can not tell you how many people I know that watch no "regular" TV. Only online stuff. Same for radio. Does that include satalite to web based broadcasts? I am sure there must be some way these rating compensate for average or median age... but it seems like the younger the area, the less these older types of ratings will be relevant. ? Anybody know how that works??

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 1:51 AM
Closed account

The San Antonio Spurs will play the Oklahoma City Thunder at the Erwin Center on Tuesday at 7:30pm.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/cont...20thunder.html

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 5:03 PM

I didn't like the fact that OKC played their home game here when the Spurs live 82 miles away it should have been the Spurs home game instead of OKC

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 2:49 AM

I think it was an OKC pre-season home game that was moved to Austin for Durant.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 10:36 PM
Closed account

Toros games to be televised live
Austin Business Journal

The Austin Toros’ regular season home games will be televised live by the LoneStar Sports Network on Grande Communications, channel 131, according to a Toros news release.

The arrangement marks the first time Toros games will be televised in the history of the NBA Developmental League team.

Retired NBA player Malik Rose will join Toros play-by-play announcer Marc Hoenig as a color commentator. Rose played for the San Antonio Spurs, which owns the Toros, and was a member of that team’s NBA Championship squads in 1999 and 2003.

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...l?surround=lfn

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:28 PM
Closed account

Thursday, December 17, 2009, 1:20pm CST
UT partners with city in sports initiative
Austin Business Journal

Austin city council members approved an agreement with the University of Texas today that authorizes the use of state funds to attract major sporting events to the city.

Under the agreement, the Austin Sports Commission, a nonprofit under the Austin Convention and Visitors Bureau, will coordinate with entities such as the University of Texas to use state funds to draw major sports events.

UT has agreed to take steps to compete and bring national sporting events to Austin.

The funds will come from the Sporting Events Trust Fund, a program established by the state in 2007 to assist local government entities in attracting major sporting events to increase tourism and generate economic activity.

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...l?surround=lfn

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 7:36 PM
Closed account

So, I'm sure most everyone knows the Texas football team is playing Alabama in the national championship game next month. Well, the volleyball team just earned it's way to the national championship game as well. The basketball team is currently undefeated, and ranked number 2 as well. A few months ago, the UT baseball team was in the championship series in the College World Series. Man, it's great to be a Longhorn fan!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 1:26 AM

Lightbulb

It's been several months, why hasn't anyone written anything about the Texas Stars, the new minor league hockey team playing in Cedar Park's new arena?

I've read about the Spurs, which play in San Antonio and not Austin, yet read nothing about the Texas Stars.

By the way, the Texas Stars have been selling out many of their games. That means close to 7,000 fans every home game. I'm disappointed in all of you ignoring them.......

Texas Stars web site:
http://www.texasstarshockey.com/

Cedar Park Event Center
http://www.cedarparkcenter.com/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 7:44 PM
Closed account

Look at the very first post of this thread.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 11:26 PM

You also never read anything about the Austin Turfcats of the indoor Football league.

http://www.turfcats.com/

Last edited by PartyLine; Dec 21, 2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 6:28 PM

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...976400^2640361

Great summary on tier 1 sports in Austin. Resonates with my hunch that we will have MLS in town within the next decade.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 5:09 AM

Saw this on the Austin Toros website looks like they are going to play a game in the Cedar Park Center

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/ce...rk_splash.html

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 9:07 AM
De Lurk Squad

I have season tickets to the Texas Stars and love going to the games. The level of hockey is nothing like Austin has ever seen. The arena is spectacular and the games are exciting. Our team is among the best in the league! If any of you gets a chance go check it out you won't be disappointed.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 3:00 AM

I just came across a website pushing for an MLB team in Austin...http://austinmlb.com/default.aspx ...though it seems like it was last updated in February 2009. Sadly, it only offers one proposed stadium location...the Travis Expo Center site off Decker Lane....away from denser development (like Central Austin/downtown area) or a tangible proximity to rail-based (intended) mass transit.

For now, I'll continue to settle for the Round Rock Express (after spending years going to San Antonio for ballgames)...though I am certainly not an Astros fan, needless to say.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 2:29 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie View Post
I just came across a website pushing for an MLB team in Austin...http://austinmlb.com/default.aspx ...though it seems like it was last updated in February 2009. Sadly, it only offers one proposed stadium location...the Travis Expo Center site off Decker Lane....away from denser development (like Central Austin/downtown area) or a tangible proximity to rail-based (intended) mass transit.

For now, I'll continue to settle for the Round Rock Express (after spending years going to San Antonio for ballgames)...though I am certainly not an Astros fan, needless to say.
It would be awesome if Austin had an MLB team, seems like a potential baseball town, and my god there has to be one in Texas. All that dirty St. Louis money went down to Texas for somethin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin