HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 11:10 PM

True that, waka. A lot of people don't realize that the wings were not in Transamerica's original plan. Yet another design altered by non-designers' input...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:38 AM

Looks like another big concrete pour tonight. As of 8pm:

And trucks are still lined up as of 9:30pm:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:44 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

On a related note, since 2008 I've been riding my bike around the Port of SF between Islais Creek and Heron Head Point. Never have there been so many little mountians of materials used to make concrete for pours like this.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 11:11 PM
Get me out of here

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
Looks like another big concrete pour tonight. As of 8pm:

And trucks are still lined up as of 9:30pm:
Ok, looks like you are right!

Last edited by brantw; Apr 24, 2014 at 6:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantw View Post
I don't think that was for the SalesForce Tower. I was by there earlier today, and it's still just a bunch of dirt. Perhaps it was for the terminal?

Why was this thread moved to the Construction forum? I thought there was supposed to be a set of rules before it was declared under construction.
This was definitely for Salesforce Tower you could watch.the pour on the webcam. These pours are for the caissons that are over 275FT deep. After the pours the are covered so that they can work on the next ones.

Simms photo documented this process a few pages back.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantw View Post
I don't think that was for the SalesForce Tower. I was by there earlier today, and it's still just a bunch of dirt. Perhaps it was for the terminal?

Why was this thread moved to the Construction forum? I thought there was supposed to be a set of rules before it was declared under construction.
There is. This meets them.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
This was definitely for Salesforce Tower you could watch.the pour on the webcam. These pours are for the caissons that are over 275FT deep. After the pours the are covered so that they can work on the next ones.

Simms photo documented this process a few pages back.
Can someone explain to me why they don't dig out to the bottom level of the foundation/parking garage before digging/pouring caissons? Seems like pouring them out now will make excavation more difficult later.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
Can someone explain to me why they don't dig out to the bottom level of the foundation/parking garage before digging/pouring caissons? Seems like pouring them out now will make excavation more difficult later.
I don't know for sure but this is not uncommon, just look across at 181 Fremont who is doing the same thing. We can guess.

1. It may be more operationally efficient to move the huge equipment around out of a confined hole.

2. Soil at that depth might not be stable enough for the caisson drill rigs.

3. They may need to wait until the terminal substructure next door is complete before excavating.

4. It might be cheaper to do it this way.

I'm sure others have guesses as well.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:35 AM
Pacific Wonderland

seems like they are doing top down bottom up with this and 181.

this blog explains the technique. http://constructionduniya.blogspot.c...struction.html

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:38 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post

this blog explains the technique. http://constructionduniya.blogspot.c...struction.html
Thanks for posting this information. I learn something new everyday.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:47 PM
Captain Your Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post

Wow. I had no idea this was a thing. I guess that means we'll start to see above-ground progress made sooner I'd thought.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio_the_hermit View Post
Wow. I had no idea this was a thing. I guess that means we'll start to see above-ground progress made sooner I'd thought.
Except it's not true. I think it's funny how there's so much wild speculation without a lot of information on this site. I find this site useful for project news and pictures, but don't come here for technical information. Most of what I read here about engineering and construction methods is flat-out wrong. Drives me crazy. Usually I hold my tongue, but this time only...

This is bottom-up construction. The caissons are done first because it is not possible to excavate such a deep hole without them. The caissons hold back the soil outside of the building allowing the hole to be excavated. If the excavation is deep enough, and depending on the geotechnical conditions, even that might not be good enough - once you get down deep enough temporary bracing may need to be added to keep the caissons in place. You see that everywhere downtown - that's how they built the Millennium tower and 350 Mission across the street. It's also what you can see in the Transbay Terminal excavation.

Then once the hole is fully excavated and braced, the structure construction begins from the bottom up. The temporary bracing is removed as the structure rises from the bottom of the excavation. That's what is going on now in the Transbay Terminal excavation. I haven't been by in a while, but the concrete that is being poured started at the bottom and may even be rising to the surface at some parts of the excavation at this point. When all of the substructure is constructed and temporary bracing is removed, the superstructure will begin.

There is such a thing as top-down construction, but I'm not aware of any projects currently being built that way in SF (or even any in at least my recent memory). With top-down construction (at least one version of it), instead of putting in temporary bracing as the excavation proceeds, the permanent structure would be put in place moving downward. Depending on the details, this might also allow the structure above-grade (if there is one) to proceed simultaneously, saving time. Depending on the details, this can be much more technically challeging and expensive. The tradeoff is time. The decision on which way to go involves as always, technical feasibility and money.

Of course after that rant, I could be wrong and 181 Fremont and the Salesforce Tower might be being built top-down - I don't have any information - but I have never seen it in SF and don't see why the economics of these two sites would be so much different from all of the other projects surrounding it (unless the developers are worried about completing before the crash and are willing to spend the extra $).

And that's all I'll say about that.

Last edited by cv94117; Apr 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:44 AM
Get me out of here

Passed by, today. This was all I could see:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv94117 View Post
Except it's not true. I think it's funny how there's so much wild speculation without a lot of information on this site. I find this site useful for project news and pictures, but don't come here for technical information. Most of what I read here about engineering and construction methods is flat-out wrong. Drives me crazy. Usually I hold my tongue, but this time only...

This is bottom-up construction. The caissons are done first because it is not possible to excavate such a deep hole without them. The caissons hold back the soil outside of the building allowing the hole to be excavated. If the excavation is deep enough, and depending on the geotechnical conditions, even that might not be good enough - once you get down deep enough temporary bracing may need to be added to keep the caissons in place. You see that everywhere downtown - that's how they built the Millennium tower and 350 Mission across the street. It's also what you can see in the Transbay Terminal excavation.

Then once the hole is fully excavated and braced, the structure construction begins from the bottom up. The temporary bracing is removed as the structure rises from the bottom of the excavation. That's what is going on now in the Transbay Terminal excavation. I haven't been by in a while, but the concrete that is being poured started at the bottom and may even be rising to the surface at some parts of the excavation at this point. When all of the substructure is constructed and temporary bracing is removed, the superstructure will begin.

There is such a thing as top-down construction, but I'm not aware of any projects currently being built that way in SF (or even any in at least my recent memory). With top-down construction (at least one version of it), instead of putting in temporary bracing as the excavation proceeds, the permanent structure would be put in place moving downward. Depending on the details, this might also allow the structure above-grade (if there is one) to proceed simultaneously, saving time. Depending on the details, this can be much more technically challeging and expensive. The tradeoff is time. The decision on which way to go involves as always, technical feasibility and money.

Of course after that rant, I could be wrong and 181 Fremont and the Salesforce Tower might be being built top-down - I don't have any information - but I have never seen it in SF and don't see why the economics of these two sites would be so much different from all of the other projects surrounding it (unless the developers are worried about completing before the crash and are willing to spend the extra $).

And that's all I'll say about that.
CV,

The caissons are not for shoring. They are used to transfer the structural loads down to bedrock. We know this due to the location the holes are being made, and past press releases.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:34 AM
She needs her space

Everybody is actually right here, though.

CV said that it will be bottom up construction whereby a hole will be excavated deep enough to require lateral bracing, and that is true. rocketman and the rest of us have pointed out that what is being put in the ground now are caissons, not (or not just) soldier piles to keep the soil at bay for excavation. So structural is going in place before excavation will begin, however, each tower is likely to still be bottom up construction.

We have not really uncovered the true reason why they are putting in the bedrock caissons before excavating (which is different from 350 Mission catty corner where they excavated and then put in caissons when they bottomed out), however, it could have to do with the Transbay Center and timing of that project. Perhaps they cannot excavate yet until there is enough adjacent substructure for the TB Center so that side-bearing walls between the two projects don't collapse. Right now, lateral bracing for the TB Center is pushing against dirt at Salesforce Tower and 181 Fremont. But if those two towers dug out their holes, there would have to be some serious coordination for the bracing in all 3 adjacent holes.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:12 AM
Pacific Wonderland

there was a tower done here in LA last cycle done top down. The methodology was very much the same as 181 & salesforce. I could be totally wrong and this is a special case. I am, however, not totally in the dark on construction, however, I profess no special inside knowledge on Salesforce. But given the photos, that is why I posted the link to s topdown blog entry. I hope it was informative, and given that SF is a sizzling market now, top down can deliver the building quicker. Time and hopefully lots of pics will tell. Keep posting.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 5:24 AM

From ground level, it looks like they're drilling for oil or something:

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 10:36 PM
Editor

I'm not a huge fan of the name, but the tower is still very nice and always will be. I wouldn't be surprised if the tower was renamed later anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I agree. While I prefer the general name of Transbay Tower, the new name doesn't bother me at all.

(Though I'm still disappointed the USOC didn't relocate to Chicago several years ago. Apparently there were discussions about the USOC moving headquarters to the Sears Tower, which I hoped would mean renaming it the Olympic Tower... instead it's Willis Tower.)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 11:04 PM

In exchange for renaming, they should restore the originally planned (or at least considered) height of 1200 ft with 80 stories. Maybe Bienoff can pay a few hundred million dollars to fund the extension

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 1:11 PM

What about an 1,800' prefab tower and name it Tempforce Tower ? It could work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture