HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:15 PM
BANNED

I think the biggest issue in all this, and we are not saying (typing) it, is the craving to be closer (as it once was) to our neighbors, family, and friends and businesses, and to start building inward toward the city instead of outward. A mall like the Rim should have been built years ago downtown, like Houston’s uptown Galleria. It is nice having your own car and being free to go everywhere you feel or desire, but with gas the price it is, I wouldn’t mind giving up my car to do some more walking and subway traveling. I did it in NY and I loved it, and I am from Laredo, believe me when I SAY this, the streets of NY whether its 2am, 5am, or 3am are safer than Laredo at 9am (downtown). I think, here, is the biggest problem facing, not just SA, but other cities as well---Getting back to the basics. Moving inward and closer to family and friends---like Boston and whatnot, may not have a flotilla of super-tall buildings(but they do have more than us!), but everything is walking distance and is built with history or restored from past history.

I love the way Austin is looking, but I am not sure it has the liveliness SA has at night. Sure, it is beautiful, beyond beautiful, but does not go further than that, as far as I know, it seems to be serving much beautify and beauty for the rich and that’s it. Nonetheless, I am happy for Austin. Lets hope we can create something like that for SA with parks and big trees, and pounds, and, of course, high-rise living.
Oddly, the locals don’t like it (most) and we love it (most). ---Austin.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
No, not Brack Park, BUT there's an area between 281 and the Brack golf course filled with small old houses that would be ideal for a street grid development with mid-rises and high rises right next to the soon-to-be expanded Riverwalk.

The Riverwalk expansion is going to break off before the golf course and track along Avenue B (beside Broadway). That golf course would isolate the land you outlined in red, allowing access to the expansion only from 281 to the South or Mulberry to the North. IMO the desolate Avenue B stretch detracts from the vision.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 3:49 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
No, not Brack Park, BUT there's an area between 281 and the Brack golf course filled with small old houses that would be ideal for a street grid development with mid-rises and high rises right next to the soon-to-be expanded Riverwalk.

That's the River Road neighborhood, the biggest NIMBY community (in my opinion) in a city renowned for its NIMBYs.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 4:06 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I havent been in that area since 2006 fall, and I love that area! Good idea!
I'm not even good at sarcasm.

the point was that brackenridge, like TOA, is part of the fabric of the city and is untouchable in development terms.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 4:07 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

And River Road is a fantastic neighborhood that should be maintained as is. There are plenty of crappy lots where high-rises can be built. River Road has character and charm that is so sorely lacking as you get out of DT SA.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
That's the River Road neighborhood, the biggest NIMBY community (in my opinion) in a city renowned for its NIMBYs.
That must be why the 150,000 or so sq ft of office space directly to the north is spread out over a bunch of five story buildings.

And SKW, your sarcasm came through loud and clear to those of us who try just as hard to listen to and comprehend the arguments of others as they do to come up with their own.

Last edited by oldmanshirt; Aug 19, 2009 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
And River Road is a fantastic neighborhood that should be maintained as is. There are plenty of crappy lots where high-rises can be built. River Road has character and charm that is so sorely lacking as you get out of DT SA.
Agreed. There are tons of lots across and around the Pearl Development that will probably see development before there ever is a need to wipe out an entire neighborhood.
Although it is a bit slower than some of us would like, I think that these surrounding neighborhoods are doing a good job at anchoring DT with renovations, restorations, demos where they are need and replacements with townhomes or duplexes. In time, when there is a slight upward demand in housing and prices, we will begin to see new construction of low and mid rises where empty lots or industrial areas used to be. I think it will add the right mix of housing options and density that Center City needs for now. We've got alot of empty lots to go though.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Agreed. There are tons of lots across and around the Pearl Development that will probably see development before there ever is a need to wipe out an entire neighborhood.
Although it is a bit slower than some of us would like, I think that these surrounding neighborhoods are doing a good job at anchoring DT with renovations, restorations, demos where they are need and replacements with townhomes or duplexes. In time, when there is a slight upward demand in housing and prices, we will begin to see new construction of low and mid rises where empty lots or industrial areas used to be. I think it will add the right mix of housing options and density that Center City needs for now. We've got alot of empty lots to go though.
Why tear down a neighborhood? Just tear down all those ugly parking lots like Houston is currently doing. Looks much better that way. Some of the views outside those buildings (SA) are really ugly because of all those dirty lots.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 2:47 AM

I still don't know what the project behind the Fire Station is going to be. I say it is going to be a parking garage. It needs to be. I'm just wondering what the plan is for parking for Embassy, Towneplace, and Indigo. Seems to me like something needs to be done soon; Indigo is set to go live in 3 weeks and Towneplace Suites is not too far behind.

A little inside info; I've been told that a company at One Riverwalk has to lease more spaces at St. Mary's garage because the parking garage next to it is currently full, plus the new tenants at BofA building will take up a few more. This "company" has been hiring at lightning speed. They've hired 300 or so in the last year and are renovating another floor of 1riverwalk to make room for future hires. Now if we could just get more jobs DT.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 3:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I still don't know what the project behind the Fire Station is going to be. I say it is going to be a parking garage. It needs to be. I'm just wondering what the plan is for parking for Embassy, Towneplace, and Indigo. Seems to me like something needs to be done soon; Indigo is set to go live in 3 weeks and Towneplace Suites is not too far behind.

A little inside info; I've been told that a company at One Riverwalk has to lease more spaces at St. Mary's garage because the parking garage next to it is currently full, plus the new tenants at BofA building will take up a few more. This "company" has been hiring at lightning speed. They've hired 300 or so in the last year and are renovating another floor of 1riverwalk to make room for future hires. Now if we could just get more jobs DT.
Wait, what is this "Indigo"? and I believe townplace was where the Dallas was, right? Last I heard that place was not going to open till 2011, dont know why that is so.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Wait, what is this "Indigo"? and I believe townplace was where the Dallas was, right? Last I heard that place was not going to open till 2011, dont know why that is so.

Indigo is in the Gibbs building. According the HI website the hotels (the Alamo and Riverwalk locations) will not open until October.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/in/...as/san-antonio

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Indigo is in the Gibbs building. According the HI website the hotels (the Alamo and Riverwalk locations) will not open until October.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/in/...as/san-antonio
Funny, it just goes to show how quickly things change. DTblog had Sept. 8th as opening just 10 days ago. I just called and got Oct. 1st as the earliest date. They must've needed extra time for the C of O for the restaurant/bar.?. A couple of extra windows and some windex and it looks done. Oh well... 1 month won't change much, and this just gets one more unused building out of the way and put to good use.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 2:51 PM

Also, the Marriott Courtyard on the river is supposed to open in September
(see the Aug. 14th post: http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/downtown/ )

Quote:
Word on the street (quiet literally) is that the Courtyard by Marriott on North St. Mary's Street is shooting for a Sept. 1 opening.

For locals it's kind of "So What?" news, but this is a good opportunity to mention that Augie's Barbed Wire Smokehouse is NOT moving into the hotel's River Walk restaurant space. It's a shame because they're local. Just what restaurant is moving in, nobody knows.

At least the sidewalk's open again.

On a side note, the north entrance to the River Walk there at the North St. Mary's Street bridge is closed off because of work being done for the River Walk improvement project.
I always thought it was wierd that a BBQ joint like Augie's was going to set up shop there. My guess is that some franchise type shop will open there now. Is there a restaurant in newer Drury?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 3:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Also, the Marriott Courtyard on the river is supposed to open in September
(see the Aug. 14th post: http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/downtown/ )

I always thought it was wierd that a BBQ joint like Augie's was going to set up shop there. My guess is that some franchise type shop will open there now. Is there a restaurant in newer Drury?
Its been awhile since I hear anything about the Marriott downtown. I think the building is beautiful. It reminds of the a few hotels in NYC, like the Hilton Gardens inn and the Hamton Inn in Manhattan, both next to each other, just more mordern.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Its been awhile since I hear anything about the Marriott downtown. I think the building is beautiful. It reminds of the a few hotels in NYC, like the Hilton Gardens inn and the Hamton Inn in Manhattan, both next to each other, just more mordern.
Oh, on that note, whoever as pictures of that hotel or is about to take some (I know we have some good picture takers here) post some!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 4:10 AM
Meh

Plan seeks to revitalize inner city
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Pla...nner_city.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Plan seeks to revitalize inner city
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Pla...nner_city.html
That link didn't work for me. It's here (for now):
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/53865657.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 7:48 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I posted that earlier:

http://movementfor.blogspot.com

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 3:44 PM

Plans for the Joske's building (formerly occupied by Dillard's) have been stalled.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...mmer.html#more

Fogo de Chao will open at the end of the month. An unnamed night club (perhaps Blackstone Lounge?) will open beneath it. Plans across from this site will include 3 restaurants (2 new to SA). Construction may begin before years end.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 8:53 AM
Meh

Forumer LSyd posted a nice photo thread of San Antonio that he did, here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...63#post4420163

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio