HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 11:39 PM
Ascension

ATLANTA | Bank of America Plaza | 1,023 ft | 55 stories | 1992

I really want to like this building but I just can't. I don't know if it's because of it's weird position in Atlanta's very linear skyline or what but there is something about this building I just can't like. I think it's because for being over 1,000 feet tall, it gets quite lost. Looks amazing at night that's for sure.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 3:10 PM
Westbank = Bestbank

In its defense, it is extremely easy to get to from the Connector and there is a MARTA station virtually adjacent to the building. It looks weird out there virtually on its own between Midtown and Downtown, but logistically it seems like a good place to have such a building.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 4:48 PM
Ascension

As I said..I don't like this building but I don't dislike it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 8:15 AM

Know what you mean, but I like it! It beats a box sitting on top of a parking deck. I guess when more infill get's built it won't look so out of place so to speak. And plus, if they go through with some of the renovations that they are thinking about like adding a restaurant that fronts the street or making the lower floors a boutique hotel, that might help it out some.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 8:53 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

For me, the vertical spandrels are too closer together, the crown way too contrived, and the proportions just odd. Often, you get crowns and spires that though it's obvious they were tacked on for additional height, they also seem to work harmoniously with the rest of the building. This isn't one of them.

I compare this one with the BofA in Charlotte because they are both tiered bank towers built in the same year in the same region of the country. I think BofA Corporate Center was pulled off masterfully in comparison.

BTW, is that a surface lot directly adjacent to the tower in that last photo, or the top of a parking garage?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 9:53 AM

This is a building I have mixed feelings on. It looks spectacular at night and is like a lighthouse to Atlanta, but during the day, it looks like nothing more than an upside down pencil. It looks "okay" only because it provides a contrast to the cubist blue Suntrust Plaza, Atlanta's second tallest building and highest occupied floor.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 4:51 PM
Ascension

I guess I wasn't the only one with mixed feelings on this building.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 7:19 PM

The crown has always looked a bit suspect to me - a transparent, nest-like visibly hollow triangular lattice atop an otherwise well-massed, solid skyscraper. The po-mo split personality with neo-Art Deco verticals and square windows on the corners, as well as a massive parking lot by the base, don't help. Otherwise, a great tower.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 11:09 PM
World Machine

I’ve always found this building to be quite intriguing because it seems to behold multiple personalities of architecture. Blended in together it makes for a ‘concrete’ and uniformed look all around. The crown is interesting within itself because of the transparent effect (otherwise solid wouldn’t be appealing). The base however is quite another story, more detail about my opinion I don’t need to go into regarding that. Personally I would think that down the road something will be done to build up the surrounding area which will consequently spruce up the base of this affluent and classy skyscraper.

I’ve always found this building, BofA in Charlotte, and the Key Tower in Cleveland go hand in hand with each other.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 11:32 PM

never did like this building for various reasons starting with it's caca color exterior. Then you have a lawn right in front of the building & a surface parking lot in the rear which screams suburbia despite it's height. As for the structure itself this is nothing more than a 800 foot building with a 200 foot plus metal cage plopped on top of it to give its status as a 1000+ footer. The only redeeming value is how well it lights up at night.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
them bones

To me this tower is the one that tries to be everything to everyone...deco pinstriping, punched corner windows in brown (to similuate some sort of masonry structure), staggered setbacks and little cornice lines, and topped by a giant birdcage. Roche is really a poor man's Phillip Johnson (with decidedly less interesting results).

I tried to be open-minded about the building until I saw it in person, but I have to say that is was the most underwhelming 1,000' tower I've seen (and I've seen ALOT of them).

I'll echo others here in that the night lighting is exceptional really makes the tower stand out.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 7:41 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

"I’ve always found this building, BofA in Charlotte, and the Key Tower in Cleveland go hand in hand with each other."

I disagree - as plinko said, this tower's facade and crown is so hodgepodged together and Pelli did a much better job with BofA Charlotte and Key.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 8:04 PM

I must say I've grown to love this building (I can see it from my balcony so I've looked at it a lot). I think its nightime presence more than makes up for some of its shortcomings--it's a spectacular beacon for Atlanta after dark!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 8:21 PM

I've always loved this building, especially at night. I think that as Midtown grows up around it, it will only look better.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 10:39 PM
Go Sens!

Perhaps the color and the abundance of sooo many spires...it just doesn't make me hard, like say JHC in Chicago or the iconic Key Tower in Cleveland!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 10:54 PM

As amazing as this sounds but, when the Willshire Grand is finally finished in LA in 2017. This building is/was the tallest building outside of NYC or Chicago in America for 25 years.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I tried to be open-minded about the building until I saw it in person, but I have to say that is was the most underwhelming 1,000' tower I've seen (and I've seen ALOT of them).
That's what happens when spires count! The main roof before the cage starts only looks to be around 770'. That's a lot of extra height being tacked on! However, I would say that NYTT in NYC beats this as most underwhelming "supertall" (and biggest cheater I can possibly think of).

This looks great at night, but during the day it just isn't on the same level as the other talls in Atlanta. (Suntrust, Westin, 191 Peachtree, and even One Atlantic and Georgia Pacific) The cage is one thing, but the drab brown cladding also kind of sucks.

As somebody was saying, no comparison with BOA in Charlotte, and I'd also throw Key Tower in Cleveland in there as a far superior building.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:09 PM

Is there an observation area in this building?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 5:42 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by upward 2000 View Post
Is there an observation area in this building?

No there isn't. Even if there was it would still be on par with the Westin's Sundial restaurant which is at about 700 feet since despite being a 1,023 foot building, the highest floors are in roughly just 50 feet higher since the roof it at only 770 feet and the Sundial's is 723 feet.

On a seperate note, I wonder when Atlanta will get a new tallest seeing that there is now some healthy competition from Los Angeles and San Francisco taking away Atlanta's official 'tallest in the US status outside of NY and Chicago' status.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
For me, the vertical spandrels are too closer together, the crown way too contrived, and the proportions just odd. Often, you get crowns and spires that though it's obvious they were tacked on for additional height, they also seem to work harmoniously with the rest of the building. This isn't one of them.

I compare this one with the BofA in Charlotte because they are both tiered bank towers built in the same year in the same region of the country. I think BofA Corporate Center was pulled off masterfully in comparison.

BTW, is that a surface lot directly adjacent to the tower in that last photo, or the top of a parking garage?
Originally the crown was to be actual floors, but they ended up deciding to turn it into this crown structure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture