HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:23 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:42 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:25 AM

The renovation of the old Shop Easy on 7th Ave in City Park is going amazingly well...

https://www.facebook.com/bldgstudioi...type=3&theater

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:37 PM

In good economic news for the Saskatoon region, which also bodes well for future development, is a renewed confidence and timeline from BHP Billiton to bring its Jansen mine into production by 2023.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:16 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The renovation of the old Shop Easy on 7th Ave in City Park is going amazingly well...

https://www.facebook.com/bldgstudioi...type=3&theater
Any idea what store/s are going to be at this location?
Thanks

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:45 PM

It appear to be spec/for lease. Listed by Colliers as City Park Boutiques

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 8:07 PM

Taken from May 23rd city council meeting:

Release of Remaining City-Owned Land Parcels
The City has created strong conditions for favorable private investment by improving the public realm of the area to a high standard. To further facilitate the success of private infill development within River Landing, the City has timed the release of
development parcels and lease opportunities with sensitivity to current market conditions and the surrounding development.
Parcel D/E is zoned for mixed-use (up to a maximum of 30 storeys) with opportunities for a hotel, office and commercial space, restaurants, and residences. The Administration plans to subdivide Parcel D/E into two separate properties; this subdivision would improve the configuration and salability of the parcels, while also addressing lease considerations with Zayo Canada the City’s tenant in the white building at the corner of Avenue A and 19th Street).
The Administration proposes to sell Parcel D in late 2017/early 2018 pending market conditions and hold on to Parcel E pending the
Zayo lease, which expires at the end of 2019.
Strategic timing of the release of Parcel D will help to ensure a successful project while attaining maximum value for the property.
While the current real estate market is quite soft, it is expected confidence and momentum in the area will build once construction of
Parcel YY is visible above grade, the Remai Modern Art Gallery is open, and The Banks is fully occupied with residential and commercial tenants. Parcel E will remain in City hands for now as the Zayo lease does not expire until the end of 2019.
Prior to 2019, the Administration will be exploring redevelopment options for the parcel that include opportunities such as additional parking and whether or not to retain ownership of the building. In addition, the timing and impact of the upcoming rehabilitation of the
adjacent Senator Sid Buckwold Bridge will be monitored to ensure public and private construction efforts in the area are coordinated. The sale of Parcel BB, south of the Farmers’ Market, will proceed approximately two years later once development on Parcel D has been established

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:04 PM
Pure Phase

There is a discussion on Shaping Saskatoon about the 4th Ave/23rd St protected bike lanes pilot program, if anyone has any opinions on them that they'd like to share.
http://shapingsaskatoon.ca/discussio...nes-discussion

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 10:27 PM

Any news on The Banks? Are the apartments being occupied already? What about the retail spaces?

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Taken from May 23rd city council meeting:

Release of Remaining City-Owned Land Parcels
The City has created strong conditions for favorable private investment by improving the public realm of the area to a high standard. To further facilitate the success of private infill development within River Landing, the City has timed the release of
development parcels and lease opportunities with sensitivity to current market conditions and the surrounding development.
Parcel D/E is zoned for mixed-use (up to a maximum of 30 storeys) with opportunities for a hotel, office and commercial space, restaurants, and residences. The Administration plans to subdivide Parcel D/E into two separate properties; this subdivision would improve the configuration and salability of the parcels, while also addressing lease considerations with Zayo Canada the City’s tenant in the white building at the corner of Avenue A and 19th Street).
The Administration proposes to sell Parcel D in late 2017/early 2018 pending market conditions and hold on to Parcel E pending the
Zayo lease, which expires at the end of 2019.
Strategic timing of the release of Parcel D will help to ensure a successful project while attaining maximum value for the property.
While the current real estate market is quite soft, it is expected confidence and momentum in the area will build once construction of
Parcel YY is visible above grade, the Remai Modern Art Gallery is open, and The Banks is fully occupied with residential and commercial tenants. Parcel E will remain in City hands for now as the Zayo lease does not expire until the end of 2019.
Prior to 2019, the Administration will be exploring redevelopment options for the parcel that include opportunities such as additional parking and whether or not to retain ownership of the building. In addition, the timing and impact of the upcoming rehabilitation of the
adjacent Senator Sid Buckwold Bridge will be monitored to ensure public and private construction efforts in the area are coordinated. The sale of Parcel BB, south of the Farmers’ Market, will proceed approximately two years later once development on Parcel D has been established

you would think Parcel D/E would be ready to sell now, especially when it has a 30 storey max height. i can see a 20-30 storey tower(s) selling just as fast or at a fast enough pace like no1 condo.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 9:33 PM

Here's a question. Is there anywhere in the cbc that is zoned for 30 story buildings without some height limiting control? As far as I thought max height downtown is still 76 meters with provisions to go higher if enough public space or parking spots are provided. I dont know how anyone can look at that and not go What? What other controls are on those parcels? If we want 30 story plus building are we going to have to build them in Riversdale? I am possibly way out to lunch. Anybody know?

That being said I doubt we will get anything that tall built in that location. Probably closer to the Banks maybe 6-8 stories

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Here's a question. Is there anywhere in the cbc that is zoned for 30 story buildings without some height limiting control? As far as I thought max height downtown is still 76 meters with provisions to go higher if enough public space or parking spots are provided. I dont know how anyone can look at that and not go What? What other controls are on those parcels? If we want 30 story plus building are we going to have to build them in Riversdale? I am possibly way out to lunch. Anybody know?

That being said I doubt we will get anything that tall built in that location. Probably closer to the Banks maybe 6-8 stories
I don't know what Canada's public broadcaster would have to do with it with height limits in Saskatoon so we'll all just assume you meant CBD instead.

As far as I know the 76 meter height limit (coincidentally the height of Saskatoon's current tallest building built over 30years ago) in Saskatoon was just an arbitrary height limit agreed upon by City of Saskatoon years ago to keep the city quaint and not so imposing to country folk of Saskatoon..as opposed to the threatening big city towers found in cities like Calgary, Winnipeg and even Regina.

Saskatoon has grown up since in this 21st century & have relaxed this height limit in certain areas depending on City of Sask and Meewasin valley authority (of all things) approval.

The only actual requirement for height regulations for buildings in Saskatoon would be from Canadian Aviation Regulations of Transport Canada. Height limit due to flight paths for YXE runways would be similar to when Edmonton's Centre City airport was in operation with height limit of ~150meters for downtown Edmonton, twice the height of tallest building in Saskatoon right now.

I think any developer that propose the building of a 30 storey condo tower for parcel D/E would be met with overwhelming success from people lining up at sale centre.., not unlike the queue that formed and then potential condo buyers that had to be sent away empty handed after the first weekend of sale centre opening for No1 Riverlanding.

If they plan to build low-rise in parcel D/E then it would take years upon years to sell much like The Banks is faced with now.

Last edited by SaskScraper; May 23, 2017 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 11:56 PM

Haha yeah CBD. Cbc has nothing to do with anything. Ok. Well that's fair I suppose. I just thought that the 76m limit was loosely in force still. It would still be a little disappointing/strange if a 30 story tower went up in Riversdale before the CBD.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 3:02 PM

Former Sears furniture.

What is going into the old Sears furniture location beside Giant Tiger on circle Drive. Quite a large space, is it another furniture outlet?

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:21 AM

It's being subdivided and a new entrance installed.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:12 AM

Not directly Saskatoon but I believe it's been discussed here anyway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/china-connection/

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 12:46 PM

Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
I like your sound walls, too. They help like a row of houses that chose to buy near a road and now get subsidized by every taxpayer. And now drivers fly down roads with blinders on, (the walls) not unlike race horses. You guys are nuts! You're going to love my documentary on your unique Saskatoon tax priorities.

Cars first, more than any town in Canada (Stats Can). Not a good calling card, but true.

River first, and you'll love Saskatoon. See how easy that was?
Most houses on Circle east from Preston crossing to Highway 16 were there long before Circle Drive. The same on Circle west from 11th St. To 33rd St.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowest View Post
Most houses on Circle east from Preston crossing to Highway 16 were there long before Circle Drive. The same on Circle west from 11th St. To 33rd St.
Those stretches of Circle Drive have been around since the 70's or even earlier. In fact the Western portion from 11th to Warman Road was constructed back in the 1960s.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Haha yeah CBD. Cbc has nothing to do with anything. Ok. Well that's fair I suppose. I just thought that the 76m limit was loosely in force still. It would still be a little disappointing/strange if a 30 story tower went up in Riversdale before the CBD.
i wouldnt mind seeing a tall tower on that parcel. D/E should be tall, followed by a mid-rise BB...8-12 storeys.

i do believe there was a news article few years back saying all height restrictions have been lifted? its a good thing anyways...nothing worse than a bunch of towers of the same size that create a "wall" effect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan