HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:28 PM

Speaking of Hotels in the Regina Area,

Here is the updated Westerra "Retail Area"

Link: http://www.shopathorizons.ca/assets/...tePlan_web.pdf

It appears that there are three (3) new hotels to be built in this area. No longer will the West End of Regina be the dull place to be. Also this might bring people from the east end with direct access to the West Bypass it will be easy to get there Via Ring road without having to go through the city. Or go around on 9th North and accessing from the north. (I guess we will finally have a "Ring Road" soon)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Historic Sask. Wheat Pool building getting facelift

- See more at: http://www.leaderpost.com/Historic+S....WxDM94IX.dpuf

I would be very surprised if the City approved the full $2 million tax exemption for a $60 Billion company (Glencore)
CBC is reporting the tax exemption as $1.1M. It is over 10 years so it's not as extreme as it sounded at first. That said, it is a lot of revenue for the city to be giving up.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...lift-1.2891200

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post

It appears that there are three (3) new hotels to be built in this area. No longer will the West End of Regina be the dull place to be. Also this might bring people from the east end with direct access to the West Bypass it will be easy to get there Via Ring road without having to go through the city. Or go around on 9th North and accessing from the north. (I guess we will finally have a "Ring Road" soon)
They probably already have DH3 locked up for 2 of them, just like at Grasslands. Interesting that they have no hotels indicated for Aurora on the east side.

http://harvard.ca/+pub/image/Aurora_4pg_web.pdf

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
Is the Marriot's walls etc built of Cindercrete Blocks?
yes, and pre-cast floors.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
They probably already have DH3 locked up for 2 of them, just like at Grasslands. Interesting that they have no hotels indicated for Aurora on the east side.

http://harvard.ca/+pub/image/Aurora_4pg_web.pdf
Guess they feel there are already enough over there and are trying to shift development to the west. And to the north.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:37 PM

Here is today's leader post article about the Golden Mile. I recall this being mentioned as a sight for another superstore earlier in this thread.(not sure what the rules are when it comes to paid sites)

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regin...366/story.html

"REGINA — One of Regina’s commercial landmarks looks like it’s in line for a dramatic facelift.

The Golden Mile Centre, widely described as the city’s first shopping mall, will likely be renovated this spring.

SmartCentres, which acts as the leasing agent for the property owners, Retrocom REIT, filed a request for development permit with the City of Regina in December.

The permit verifies the land-use at the location is consistent with zoning bylaws.

It proposes an upgrade in excess of $20 million to the mall by deconstructing the centre portion of the mall to allow for a larger, anchor tenant. The permit lists a grocery store, but which company would move into the space isn’t being confirmed at this time.

The Extra Foods would be renovated to host small-to-medium-sized tenants.

SmartCentres must file for a building permit with the city before breaking ground.

The Broken Rack and Rainbow Cinemas would likely be left alone in the renovation, as would the RBC — which just did a costly renovation of its own — and Smitty’s Restaurant and gas bar.

Sandra Kaiser, vice-president of corporate affairs for SmartCentres, said some of the existing tenants will be moved into the building that is currently Extra Foods.

“It will be based on whether the tenant wants to stay, first of all. If they’re willing to be relocated, if there’s another spot for them in the mall or if they have the ability to pay,” said Kaiser.

Most store owners at the Golden Mile won’t be surprised by this news. Rumours have been floating around the halls since at least fall.

One store owner, who didn’t want to have his name used for fear of being evicted, said the months of rumours have been frustrating.

“Most businesses usually put together a business plan. You may make special purposes, you have different marketing plans. With something like this hanging over your head, when you may be evicted at any time, how do you make a plan going forward?” he said, adding Golden Mile management has been reluctant to share any specific information on the mall’s future.

“We’re their customers, and if I treated my customers that way we’d be out of business years ago,” he said.

Other owners fear whether or not they would be included in future plans.

“You’re trying to keep your business alive so you can live, and they won’t tell (me) anything,” said another owner, who also didn’t want his name used.

Kaiser said a number of current tenants are paying month-to-month, which reflects they are not committed to staying in the mall. Others, she said, are paying minimal rent.

“For a shopping centre, that’s not sustainable. You simply can’t have tenants who aren’t even covering your costs, and that’s what we have today,” she said.

Rent prices weren’t released, but tenants can expect prices to go up after the renovations are finished. SmartCentres is also the leasing agent for Southland Mall: after its renovation, rent prices increased.

Kaiser said some tenants will have the opportunity to move from the Golden Mile to Southland.

Fred Radom, owner of Styles for All — located in the mall since 1967 — is moving into a location at River Heights Shopping Centre at the end of the month.

“I wouldn’t have minded (staying), but I was glad to find a place close by,” he said.

Radom tried renewing his lease with SmartCentres but the deal broke down and he has been paying month-to-month since.

The block on which the mall sits has a long history. In the late 1920s it was an airfield. The site hosted a motel and restaurant in the mid-1950s and later, the city’s first Loblaws grocery store.

— with files from Will Chabun"

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:45 PM
arf

I'm happy that the cinemas and pool hall will remain. A great resource for the South end. Perhaps we might be seeing something like Mike's on Broadway as the grocery store. I'd be excited to see that as Mike's is my favourite grocer in town right now. Decent selection, good produce section and good prices.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm happy that the cinemas and pool hall will remain. A great resource for the South end.
Agreed! Whether or not they bring traffic to the mall, I definitely was hoping that would stay - and the bowling lanes also.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:40 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
Agreed! Whether or not they bring traffic to the mall, I definitely was hoping that would stay - and the bowling lanes also.
I'm guessing their are 3 of the best renters in terms of stability, longevity, and ability to pay rent... And for pretty large spaces at that. So whether or not they bring traffic... They are solid income.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOO AHH OGEMA View Post
The Broken Rack and Rainbow Cinemas would likely be left alone in the renovation, as would the RBC — which just did a costly renovation of its own — and Smitty’s Restaurant and gas bar.
That's what I was thinking when this was first rumoured. There's no way I would kick out/demolish the Broken Rack or the Rainbow - two huge anchors to the mall. Banks almost seem untouchable when it comes to these things as well. i.e. the Scotiabank in the 13th Ave Safeway had special provisions made so that their business wasn't touched or interrupted. I have no idea what extra costs were involved in that decision but it seems like if you have a bank in your development you do anything and everything to ensure their happiness.

I'm assuming then that if the RBC is untouched that the Rexall drug store will also be untouched by association. They will demolish the food court and all stores south of it, up to the Rainbow entrance.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 8:18 PM

Quote:
yes, and pre-cast floors.
This might be the 'best' new hotel to stay at in the near future. I hate wood frame builds, solely on the fact that they are too damn noisy.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:56 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post

I wouldn't say it's updated. It's the same as it was when it was released in May.

The whole Westerra/Horizons development is a bizarre gamble on Harvard's part. They're adding a whole retail node at the very end of residential development. Of course it's not as odd as Walmart's apparent desire to go on the Keeseekoose land.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:01 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
This might be the 'best' new hotel to stay at in the near future. I hate wood frame builds, solely on the fact that they are too damn noisy.
Well there's a reason the permit for it was $18M. But yes, most of the new hotels are terrible. I know the south Days Inn has little to no sound proofing.

I also like that they restarted work work at the Fairfield Inn on Albert by putting up a little more stud walls and then stopping again.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest View Post
Well there's a reason the permit for it was $18M. But yes, most of the new hotels are terrible. I know the south Days Inn has little to no sound proofing.

I also like that they restarted work work at the Fairfield Inn on Albert by putting up a little more stud walls and then stopping again.
yeah - its like the last contractor working on the Fairfield went belly up and popped up again with a different name.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:25 PM

The whole Westerra development is odd. They're projecting a population of 7,400 people in .78 square kilometres. That's a density of 9,400 per square kilometre.. While that's just in the residential portion, it would make the neighbourhood the densest in the province.

Even including the retail, it'll produce the densest census tract in Saskatchewan. Very interesting development, but I'm skeptical if the plan remains as is.

Edit: With retail, it's 5000 people per square kilometre, which is still the highest in Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest View Post
I wouldn't say it's updated. It's the same as it was when it was released in May.

The whole Westerra/Horizons development is a bizarre gamble on Harvard's part. They're adding a whole retail node at the very end of residential development. Of course it's not as odd as Walmart's apparent desire to go on the Keeseekoose land.
Whoah! First I heard that, but it is on their website:

http://www.keeseekoose.com/economic_development.html

Wherever Walmart goes lots of other retail seems to follow, so maybe Harvard knows what they are doing.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:30 PM

The guys at Olivers Menswear on 1900 hundred block Hamilton St. tell me the new retail development right beside their store is going to be FYI Optometry,they are also located in Harbour Landing.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:36 PM

The guys at Olivers Menswear on 1900 hundred block Hamilton St. tell me the new retail development right beside their store is going to be FYI Optometry,they are also located in Harbour Landing.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Whoah! First I heard that, but it is on their website:

http://www.keeseekoose.com/economic_development.html

Wherever Walmart goes lots of other retail seems to follow, so maybe Harvard knows what they are doing.
With the new sewage treatment plant under construction will the current settling ponds/lagoons, particularly the ones right between Keeseekoose and the west regina bypass, be decommissioned? Those sewage lagoons are going to be a real .... impediment for whatever residential keeseekoose may be planning.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
With the new sewage treatment plant under construction will the current settling ponds/lagoons, particularly the ones right between Keeseekoose and the west regina bypass, be decommissioned? Those sewage lagoons are going to be a real .... impediment for whatever residential keeseekoose may be planning.
I would sincerely hope they would be decommissioning it, but who knows. Would be an expensive clean-up job.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan