HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1201  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:52 PM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,456
Looking at the traffic map, it's clear which bypass should come to fruition in the next decade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1202  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:33 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Politics are the reason why 101 and 15 is the way it is. The Province left the diversion in 101 to build the interchange. Then politics happened and the Province stuck it to the RM by putting up the lights. Different 'parties' were in power between the province and the RM. That's anecdotal, but really happened.
Looking at the traffic map we see an estimated 11,000 to 17,000 vehicles hitting the Perimeter area from the general Oak Bank region. At its peak HWY 15, a two lane road, has traffic counts approaching HWY 75, a four lane divided road. It's why the Oak Bank corridor route makes sense.

The root of the issue behind 101/15 isn't really deep in politics itself it is more what is being done on the Oak Bank corridor route. Are they going to twin HWY 15 in place? Are they going to build the new road to replace HWY 15? Which route might the new road take? etc. That all needs to be sorted out before you can do anything with HWY 15 and the Perimeter as you need to know if HYW 15 is a two lane road or a four lane road. Also if you move a significant portion of the traffic to the north on the proposed Oak Bank corridor routes HWY 15/101 could go from a full interchange to a diamond with a free flowing Perimeter.

In terms of politics, it isn't exactly a secret that Springfield is very blue in good times and bad and never changes from that. It isn't exactly shocking that the Oak Bank corridor plans trace back to the era of the last PC government and got placed on hold under the NDP. Looking at those traffic counts and the public accident reports on deaths at Gunn Rd it doesn't surprise me that it needs to be a high priority area going forward.

Not that it matters here but I don't live there anymore. Haven't for years but know the area well. Honestly it is likely a road I would never drive on. Matter of fact I am far more likely to drive on a St Marys interchange than the Oak Bank corridor road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1203  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:08 AM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Looking at the traffic map we see an estimated 11,000 to 17,000 vehicles hitting the Perimeter area from the general Oak Bank region. At its peak HWY 15, a two lane road, has traffic counts approaching HWY 75, a four lane divided road. It's why the Oak Bank corridor route makes sense.

The root of the issue behind 101/15 isn't really deep in politics itself it is more what is being done on the Oak Bank corridor route. Are they going to twin HWY 15 in place? Are they going to build the new road to replace HWY 15? Which route might the new road take? etc. That all needs to be sorted out before you can do anything with HWY 15 and the Perimeter as you need to know if HYW 15 is a two lane road or a four lane road. Also if you move a significant portion of the traffic to the north on the proposed Oak Bank corridor routes HWY 15/101 could go from a full interchange to a diamond with a free flowing Perimeter.

In terms of politics, it isn't exactly a secret that Springfield is very blue in good times and bad and never changes from that. It isn't exactly shocking that the Oak Bank corridor plans trace back to the era of the last PC government and got placed on hold under the NDP. Looking at those traffic counts and the public accident reports on deaths at Gunn Rd it doesn't surprise me that it needs to be a high priority area going forward.

Not that it matters here but I don't live there anymore. Haven't for years but know the area well. Honestly it is likely a road I would never drive on. Matter of fact I am far more likely to drive on a St Marys interchange than the Oak Bank corridor road.

Hwy 15 should have always had a proper cloverleaf or other high volume set up.

My issue is your urge for GUNN road which I could be closed off as it once was. There wasn't a perimeter Hwy there not to long ago. So please explain what ya'll did then. Exactly. Pipeline and St Anne's and St Mary's have existed for as long as most of us have been alive.

Anyway. Back to 15. It needs to be twinned. That's what it really needs most. We don't need a brand new highway from OakBank that travels just a few Kms north of Hwy 15. That's a waste of money.
Second a certai. RM should be footing the bill for their travel issues imo. Just like the people in LaSalle. They are the ones who use this city for work. Yet escape taxes.

As for traffic lights. Have they saves a lot of lives at Pipeline?????
And just so you know. St Mary's and St Anne's have been killing people since I was 8 years old in 1980. So again please explain why GUNN road should be first. Has anyone died there? What are the fatality counts. Highest one wins.

Gunn
Pipeline
St Mary's
St Anne's.

Guessing Pipeline will win.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1204  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 1:48 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is online now
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post

Anyway. Back to 15. It needs to be twinned. That's what it really needs most. We don't need a brand new highway from OakBank that travels just a few Kms north of Hwy 15. That's a waste of money.

The problem with this is that in actuality it is cost prohibitive to twin Hwy 15. My discussions with MIT told me that there are so many properties fronting both sides of Hwy 15 from the floodway east to Dugald that the costs associated with expropriation would be too high, that and the proximity to the rail line make land acquisition difficult (much like the twinning of Wilkes).

There has been some talk of building a new Hwy (twinning) just to the North or South of Hwy 15. This is where the talk of the Oakbank Corridor becomes more realistic.

Either way, this wouldn't likely happen until 2030 or later pending political will.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1205  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:41 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The problem with this is that in actuality it is cost prohibitive to twin Hwy 15. My discussions with MIT told me that there are so many properties fronting both sides of Hwy 15 from the floodway east to Dugald that the costs associated with expropriation would be too high, that and the proximity to the rail line make land acquisition difficult (much like the twinning of Wilkes).

There has been some talk of building a new Hwy (twinning) just to the North or South of Hwy 15. This is where the talk of the Oakbank Corridor becomes more realistic.

Either way, this wouldn't likely happen until 2030 or later pending political will.
Exactly. The Oak Bank corridor route isn't a "new" highway but a relocation of HWY 15 essentially between 101 and 206. When it is completed it would continue on to CPT and effectively close Gunn Rd at the Perimeter permanently. The Oak Bank corridor route would mostly go through fields used for farming.

The whole "twinning" of HWY 15 is why both HWY 15 and Gunn Rd currently don't have better plans in place on the Perimeter. The issue is all heavily interconnected.

When you are looking at traffic counts from the Oak Bank area you need to look at both HWY 15 and 213 west of 206 as Oak Bank is in between the two. If a limited access four lane road was built between 206 and the Perimeter a lot of that traffic would be pulled into the new road.

Also while it is known as the Oak Bank corridor route it would also serve Dugald, Anola and other parts of Springfield.

In terms of the costing of a route, as it would be a provincial highway and people living in those area are paying provincial taxes they are already picking up the cost. Considering it has been on the books for 20+ years already that is one heck of a down payment.

As I have said before if you want to talk issues with provincial roads you need to look beyond the south Perimeter. I know the TransCanada/Yellowhead intersection near Portage has been on the list an extremely long time too. Pretty sure HWY 6 is on the list for northern communities. And if you want to talk about needing to pay their fair share for roads, there is a strong case to be made that the issues with the south Perimeter, especially between Pembina and 59, are because the City has long been delaying its own infrastructure work, ie grade separating Bishop.

And for bluenote a few quick links on Gunn Rd fatalities:

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/one-dead-...rash-1.1502953
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...gunn-1.3841431
http://www.chrisd.ca/2012/06/26/gunn.../#.WP9rc-91qDY
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1206  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:18 PM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The problem with this is that in actuality it is cost prohibitive to twin Hwy 15.
What about alternating passing lanes?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1207  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:51 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is online now
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,509
That is a possibility I have heard talked about. The problem still exists of all the access points to single family homes making even the addition of passing lanes dangerous.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1208  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:56 PM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,456
I hate in general how Manitoba treats us like children when it comes to passing lanes, with a double solid line at passing lanes. In places like Idaho, you can pass on the side opposite the passing lane if there is no oncoming traffic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1209  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:14 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 10,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Exactly. The Oak Bank corridor route isn't a "new" highway but a relocation of HWY 15 essentially between 101 and 206. When it is completed it would continue on to CPT and effectively close Gunn Rd at the Perimeter permanently. The Oak Bank corridor route would mostly go through fields used for farming.

The whole "twinning" of HWY 15 is why both HWY 15 and Gunn Rd currently don't have better plans in place on the Perimeter. The issue is all heavily interconnected.

When you are looking at traffic counts from the Oak Bank area you need to look at both HWY 15 and 213 west of 206 as Oak Bank is in between the two. If a limited access four lane road was built between 206 and the Perimeter a lot of that traffic would be pulled into the new road.

Also while it is known as the Oak Bank corridor route it would also serve Dugald, Anola and other parts of Springfield.

In terms of the costing of a route, as it would be a provincial highway and people living in those area are paying provincial taxes they are already picking up the cost. Considering it has been on the books for 20+ years already that is one heck of a down payment.

But the city is expected to build a brand new road to accommodate this one and all the tax dodgers that come with it. No wonder we can't improve the roads that already exist. And people paying provincial taxes all benefit from roads with the greatest benefit to the province. A highway from a bedroom community to the city won't have the economic spinoffs of improving the main highway through the province.
__________________
no
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1210  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:57 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
But the city is expected to build a brand new road to accommodate this one and all the tax dodgers that come with it. No wonder we can't improve the roads that already exist. And people paying provincial taxes all benefit from roads with the greatest benefit to the province. A highway from a bedroom community to the city won't have the economic spinoffs of improving the main highway through the province.
CPT which would be the city side of the Oak Bank corridor has been on the books longer than the discussions for the Oak Bank corridor have been occurring. The need to CPT existed within the city long, long before the Oak Bank corridor discussions came to light. The City stands to benefit from CPT having east Perimeter access from its in-land port plans.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1211  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 9:04 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,647
if the city wants to help curv the people leaving the city. maybe it should stop messing with the traffic lights and time them properly as they are creating artificial grid lock during the day witch piss's people off to the point they want to leave thats actualy an ongoing problem and i know a swack of people that left the city cause of this issue..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1212  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 9:26 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if the city wants to help curv the people leaving the city. maybe it should stop messing with the traffic lights and time them properly as they are creating artificial grid lock during the day witch piss's people off to the point they want to leave thats actualy an ongoing problem and i know a swack of people that left the city cause of this issue..
Ha. Funny you should mention that, I had a lunchtime errand to run today... downtown to Grant Park. Felt like I hit every red light along the way... maddening.

It won't make leave the city though, because that just means even more time behind the wheel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1213  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 9:36 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,346
I find people who just get up and quit are the biggest losers. You leave because of 'traffic'. Then as esquire said, only to spend more time behind the wheel. What does that solve?

I put traffic in quotations because really Winnipeg has not bad traffic.

I know a bunch of people who hate the City life. They live out in Garson area. But then they drive every single day to downtown for work. Okaaaayyyy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1214  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:28 PM
WildCake WildCake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 264
Not sure if this is indicative of anything but if you look closely at 15/101 on google maps, there seems to be some earthwork that was done on the south east side of the intersection that looks like an exit ramp. Wonder if that was with a folded diamond design in mind, like at Wilkes/ 100, and Rosser rd./101 in conjunction with the rail crossing just north. They could use the former detour on the southwest side as the other ramp. Given that the folded diamond is a low capacity design for the secondary route, there likely has to be a design improvement on that now that Oakbank is booming, or like CoryB mentions, another interchange at/near Gunn rd.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1215  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:55 PM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tache
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if the city wants to help curv the people leaving the city. maybe it should stop messing with the traffic lights and time them properly as they are creating artificial grid lock during the day witch piss's people off to the point they want to leave thats actualy an ongoing problem and i know a swack of people that left the city cause of this issue..
Not to worry. The City's traffic centre has fixed that already!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1216  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:57 PM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tache
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I find people who just get up and quit are the biggest losers. You leave because of 'traffic'. Then as esquire said, only to spend more time behind the wheel. What does that solve?

I put traffic in quotations because really Winnipeg has not bad traffic.

I know a bunch of people who hate the City life. They live out in Garson area. But then they drive every single day to downtown for work. Okaaaayyyy.
I resemble that comment! I drive City bus all day but as soon as I pass Deacon's Corner I breath easier. Driving my own vehicle in City traffic drives me crazy, but that's mostly due to awful drivers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1217  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:30 AM
Reignman Reignman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Ha. Funny you should mention that, I had a lunchtime errand to run today... downtown to Grant Park. Felt like I hit every red light along the way... maddening.

It won't make leave the city though, because that just means even more time behind the wheel.
I don't see how the city can ever properly synchronize traffic signals on main routes if it insists on using vehicle detector loops. All it takes is one intersection along any given route to receive a shortened green because one car pulls up on the intersecting street, and traffic on the primary route is just out of the detection zone. Then timing at any following intersections is thrown out of whack.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1218  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:39 AM
Reignman Reignman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Not to worry. The City's traffic centre has fixed that already!
What exactly has that multi million dollar traffic center even accomplished? I drive a fair bit, and haven't noticed any significantly improved flow or actual synchronization.

This city is weird. Nairn Ave has had its lights synced and appropriately timed for years...yet pretty much everywhere else is just a randomly timed shitmess. Maybe they should try working on Portage Ave and Pembina south of Bishop for starters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1219  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:55 AM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Not sure if this is indicative of anything but if you look closely at 15/101 on google maps, there seems to be some earthwork that was done on the south east side of the intersection that looks like an exit ramp. Wonder if that was with a folded diamond design in mind, like at Wilkes/ 100, and Rosser rd./101 in conjunction with the rail crossing just north. They could use the former detour on the southwest side as the other ramp. Given that the folded diamond is a low capacity design for the secondary route, there likely has to be a design improvement on that now that Oakbank is booming, or like CoryB mentions, another interchange at/near Gunn rd.
They were going to make an overpass here. They were actually in the works of it. That's why you see the earthworks started. Cory here fails to see that and thinks they didn't do it because of his super highway to OakBank is needed to serve tax evading people .....

The stoppage of this overpass was a political move and it's pretty well known in Manitoba.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1220  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:04 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,764
I actually lived out in that area at the time the missing link in the Perimeter was built. It was around the same time the Oak Bank corridor discussions first came up. Way back then HWY 15 was near capacity and a rather dangerous route to drive on. Since that time the traffic counts have only increased.

Sure there was plans to change the HWY 15 bridge over the floodway to add an extra east lane to take traffic from the Perimeter. The thing is they quickly determined that and extra lane for traffic from 101 to roughly 207 wasn't going to be sufficient and something more was needed.

As biff pointed out the location of the rail line and existing development along the current HWY 15 route make it cost prohibitive to twin in place. The road is necessary due to city planning decisions that go back over 50 years. Saying Winnipeg should put the sprawl genie back in the bottle is something that won't happen unless you invent time travel and go back and fix the issues before they start.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:53 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.