HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
How do you Saskatchewanian forumers feel about the Feds decision to block the PotashCorp takeover?
Honesty, I am a bit concerned. I think people have confused the mining of this resource with ownership of the resource. The province will always maintain ownernship of the mineral potash. I agree it is a strategic resource based on how much Sask/Canada has compared to rest of world. However, if the issue is really about 'how' the resource is mined, then there should be changes to provincial legislation to protect the value through royalties and taxes, etc. To say to a private company (PCS) that they cannot sell to any foreign company (BHP) seems a little government centric. If I were a share holder in PCS, I might be a bit worried about the value of my investment if it appears to other potential buyers that the company I am invested in cannot ever be purchased, regardless of how good the offer is.

It is a tough issue. I believe we do need to protect our resource, but I don't believe that is achieved thru blocking private companies from negotiation deals with each other. The Province just needs to ensure that we maximize the benefits of ANY company that operates in this province.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi4life View Post
i think its a good idea, although im not really too sure bout whats going on here, but to me the potash is saskatchewans and no one elses, i dont think someone else should come in and try buy a saskatchewan based company based on saskatchewan potash, doesnt make sense for anyone in saskatchewan to support this, this could have a bad effect on us here, if the takeover is too happen, therefore i am totally against it
You probably didn't know that 51% of PotashCorp shareholders are outside of Canada and that most of the management is in Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
You probably didn't know that 51% of PotashCorp shareholders are outside of Canada and that most of the management is in Chicago.
here us the breakdown of where the investors are located.

Location % O/S
United States 40.34
Canada 23.80
United Kingdom 2.64
France 1.36
Germany 0.87
Norway 0.57
Japan 0.51
Netherlands 0.50
Switzerland 0.27
Sweden 0.15

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:57 PM
working stiff

EDIT: Never mind.

Last edited by Ruckus; Nov 4, 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 7:29 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 4:03 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
nope didnt know that but thanks anyways

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:16 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:34 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:52 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Ranking of major Canadian cities by year-over-year employment growth (highest to lowest)center>

Based on average of latest three months, unadjusted data.

Data source: Statistics Canada.

Regina is number 2 on the chart , the city chart is interesting
You need to provide a link when you reference stuff like this... can you link to the the table you're talking about?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:21 AM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 5:26 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
the link would not show up , its on the daily commercail news website maybe you can provide a link, under key economic develoments impacting on canadas major cities
http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id41382

Just copy the site address at the top?...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 2:30 AM
working stiff

Vale reveals $10-billion spending plan in Canada
BRENDA BOUW — MINING REPORTER
VANCOUVER— From Thursday's Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010 9:31AM EST
Last updated Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010 7:17AM EST

German’s K+S to buy Potash One
BRENDA BOUW, Tavia Grant
VANCOUVER, Toronto— From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Nov. 22, 2010 8:57AM EST
Last updated Monday, Nov. 22, 2010 6:51PM EST

The subtitle should be 'New entrants threaten potash cartel'.

Vale vs K+S vs BHP vs PotashCorp/Mosaic/Agrium?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 5:35 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
Vale reveals $10-billion spending plan in Canada
BRENDA BOUW — MINING REPORTER
VANCOUVER— From Thursday's Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010 9:31AM EST
Last updated Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010 7:17AM EST

German’s K+S to buy Potash One
BRENDA BOUW, Tavia Grant
VANCOUVER, Toronto— From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Nov. 22, 2010 8:57AM EST
Last updated Monday, Nov. 22, 2010 6:51PM EST

The subtitle should be 'New entrants threaten potash cartel'.

Vale vs K+S vs BHP vs PotashCorp/Mosaic/Agrium?
It will still take years to threaten the cartel though... PotashOne's earliest production projection is 2015, and the volume won't be near that of the cartel... and Vale as a new entrant will take a while to get up and running too... BHP's mine will take a long time to develop as well (if they follow through).

So the cartel's position is still solid into the future.. plus they are increasing production with new projects as some of the new entrants emerge. Unless they dismantle it themselves, it will take a while to overthrow it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:46 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It will still take years to threaten the cartel though... PotashOne's earliest production projection is 2015, and the volume won't be near that of the cartel... and Vale as a new entrant will take a while to get up and running too... BHP's mine will take a long time to develop as well (if they follow through).

So the cartel's position is still solid into the future.. plus they are increasing production with new projects as some of the new entrants emerge. Unless they dismantle it themselves, it will take a while to overthrow it.
Good points. It will be an interesting sector to watch over the next couple years.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:22 AM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:30 AM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jul 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 2:57 AM

Ambassador welcomes close ties between Sask., Netherlands
By Cam Hutchinson, The StarPhoenix November 25, 2010 •Story•Photos ( 1 )
Ambassador Wim Geerts of the Netherlands
Photograph by: Gord Waldner, The StarPhoenix, The StarPhoenixWim Geerts needs no introduction to the tuque.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands' ambassador to Canada has spent the past two years in the post and, during that time, has made several regular trips to Saskatchewan. He is spending time in the province this week and planned to meet with Premier Brad Wall on Wednesday.

Ambassador Geerts and his winter accessories spend today in Saskatoon, where he is set to give a speech at the University of Saskatchewan and make a presentation at a joint Greater Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce and Saskatoon Regional Economic Development Authority luncheon.

StarPhoenix business reporter Cassandra Kyle asked Geerts five questions Wednesday about the connection between Saskatchewan and the Netherlands.

SP: How would you characterize the relationship between Saskatchewan and the Netherlands?

WG: I think it's a very good relationship that we have between Saskatchewan and the Netherlands. At the same time, I think there's still a lot that we can do together to build on that and have an even closer relationship than we are enjoying today.

That's part of my work together with a team including a consul general in Vancouver that covers Western Canada and we're fortunate to have an excellent honorary consul for Saskatchewan in Judie (Dyck). So as a team we try to make a difference, establish contact, bring people together, bring businesses together, bring universities together and I think we can take our relationship to the next level.

[...]

ckyle@thestarphoenix.com

© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Ambass...#ixzz16LyiFSjv
also found this quite interesting, in terms of our economy, exports/imports etc

Last edited by Ruckus; Nov 26, 2010 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 3:00 AM

Cameco sees China as growth market
Sask. uranium producer signs supply deal with Chinese utility
By Cassandra Kyle, The StarPhoenix November 25, 2010 A second long-term uranium supply deal with a Chinese utility is just the beginning for Cameco Corp., its CEO said Wednesday.

Following an announcement Tuesday between the Saskatoon-based uranium producer and China Guangdong Nuclear Power Holding Co. Ltd. (CGNPC) for the supply of 29 million pounds of uranium concentrate through 2025, Cameco's Jerry Grandey said there's still opportunities for the company in China.

In June, Cameco announced a deal to supply the China Nuclear Energy Industry Corp. (CNEIC) with 23 million pounds of uranium concentrate through 2020. At the same time, the local firm signed a memorandum of understanding with CGNPC to discuss a long-term supply deal.

The value of the contracts have not been released.

"There are two major nuclear utilities (in China) and (CGNPC) would be the second one, so it really positions Cameco well in a growing market to serve new customers, serve the market and hopefully obtain more business as time goes on," Grandey said in a Wednesday interview.

The CEO estimates 10 to 15 per cent of its uranium will be sent to China during the next decade. The United States remains the company's largest export destination, receiving around 50 per cent of Cameco's product.

With both CGNPC and CNEIC expanding their nuclear power capacity, and the country as a whole increasing its nuclear energy generation base, Cameco hopes to capitalize on the nuclear program.

China is expected to increase its nuclear capacity from 11 gigawatts (GW) today to at least 80 GW by 2020 and between 120 and 160 GW by 2030.

"Over time as their program succeeds and as other utilities in China -- many of whom are bigger than the two utilities that we've got contracts with, but they're not nuclear utilities so far -- they all want to get into the nuclear construction business, so as they do we see plenty of other opportunity in China," he said.

Cameco, which is working toward a goal of producing 40 million pounds of uranium by 2018, will be "absolutely" able to meet its current commitment to send 52 million pounds of uranium concentrate to its Chinese customers through 2025. The company currently produces about 22 million pounds of uranium annually.

[...]

ckyle@thestarphoenix.com

© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/techno...#ixzz16LzgBwNH

Last edited by Ruckus; Nov 26, 2010 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 11:20 PM

LA Times Article:

Saskaboom! Outsiders agog as Canada's fly-over province blossoms in corporate big leagues

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,2285041.story

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan